U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 AM

5,193 posts, read 3,585,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't think it was puzzling, I just think it was a very bad call. It happens.
Ok.. so why cant it be reversed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 21,038,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ok.. so why cant it be reversed?
Because it wouldn't be the same because of the perfect game not being achieved the natural way.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

13,302 posts, read 6,026,523 times
Quote:
Jim Joyce, whose blown call at first base with two outs in the ninth inning thwarted Armando Galarraga's perfect game Wednesday night, worked Thursday afternoon's Tigers-Indians game as scheduled as the home-plate umpire.

The Tigers pitcher, who was given a car prior to the game, brought out the lineup card and shook hands with Joyce at the pregame home-plate meeting.

Joyce was tearful as fans offered applause.
Plus audio of an interview with Joyce.

I disagree with anybody who thinks that this call was made as the result of malice.

I also disagree with all the perfect people out there who think Joyce should be fired for making one mistake at his job.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 PM

4,384 posts, read 3,986,678 times
Selig has the power to reverse it and award the perfect game, but I'm not in favor of that, only because that could open the floodgates, as far as reserving calls, in critical sistuations.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,753,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Selig has the power to reverse it and award the perfect game, but I'm not in favor of that, only because that could open the floodgates, as far as reserving calls, in critical sistuations.
I don't think so, that was the exact type of fear that people that were against instant replay have always said, I think this is a pretty obviously and extreme and rare case that could be treated as a "one-off" situation.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM

4,384 posts, read 3,986,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't think so, that was the exact type of fear that people that were against instant replay have always said, I think this is a pretty obviously and extreme and rare case that could be treated as a "one-off" situation.
That's the same "label' the Supreme Court gave for Bush vs. Gore in 2000 (one time only) and look what happened there...
If Selig did that, then were would it stop? There were some terrible calls in last years playoffs, that would open up a can of worms for every bad call that cost a team a game....
Detroit didn't lose the game as a result of that call last night.
Even though every agrees he got screwed and would understand if Selig did it, I think that, particulary your more rouge owners and teams would use that to say "Why can't you overturn this terrible call that cost my team the playoffs,...etc".

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 21,038,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
That's the same "label' the Supreme Court gave for Bush vs. Gore in 2000 (one time only) and look what happened there...
If Selig did that, then were would it stop? There were some terrible calls in last years playoffs, that would open up a can of worms for every bad call that cost a team a game....
Detroit didn't lose the game as a result of that call last night.
Even though every agrees he got screwed and would understand if Selig did it, I think that, particulary your more rouge owners and teams would use that to say "Why can't you overturn this terrible call that cost my team the playoffs,...etc".

You make some good points which is why i don't think it will be overturned.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 4,266,131 times
From the Official Rules:

(a) The league president shall appoint one or more umpires to officiate at each league championship game. The umpires shall be responsible for the conduct of the game in accordance with these official rules and for maintaining discipline and order on the playing field during the game.

9.02 (a) Any umpire’s decision which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...the_umpire.pdf

Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 7 days ago)

9,663 posts, read 7,129,509 times
What's the harm in reversing the call?

The only aggrieved party to the reversal of the call would be the batter Jason Donald who will see his batting avg drop to .260 from .280 by taking his "hit" away. Seems as though very few reversals in the future would have as little potential as this instance to offend the ruled against player or team with as much posterity at stake.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

10,465 posts, read 5,983,657 times
In MLB, sometimes the umpires wreck an achievement, but sometimes they make it possible when it should not have been. When Don Drysdale set the consecutive shutout innings record, it would not have happened had not an umpire disallowed a run which came in on a bases loaded hit by a pitch. The ump strangely ruled that the batter didn't do enough to get out of the way of the pitch. Later, when Orel Hershiser broke Drysdale's record, he also did it with the help of a blown call.

When those events took place, no commissioner felt the need to step in and protect the old record despite the obviousness of the bad calls.

No commissioner ordered Game Six of the 1985 WS to be replayed or overturned based on the obvious blown call by Dom Denkinger.

If the commissioner acts now, it will mean a system where sometimes an injustice is corrected and sometimes it is left to stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball