Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,270,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
What next one? AFAIK, this is only the second time in the history of MLB that a perfect game has ended on a questionable call on the 27th out. That sounds like once in a generation, maybe once in a lifetime to me.

There's no can of worms because: (a) For umpiring mistakes that occur prior to the final out, the bell can't be unrung. (b) For umpiring mistakes that occur on the final out and change the outcome of the game, the bell also can't be unrung. This is the unusual circumstance of a mistake that occurred on the final out but did not affect the outcome; most of the time, nobody cares about such errors, but this is a singular case because it robbed Galarraga of an "official" perfect game. That's not a scenario that's likely to recur and is easily distinguishable from other umpiring errors that were not reversed.

Furthermore, MLB will undoubtedly be compelled to institute instant replay soon. Once we have instant replay, this entire discussion will be moot. So why should we worry about setting a "bad" precedent when the precedent will soon be rendered obsolete by instant replay?
The next one almost certainly wouldn't be a perfect game, but it could be some other missed call of monumental importance that is whined about the next day.

You simply cannot go back and change calls made on the field, whether it happened yesterday or 25 years ago. If MLB moves forward and decides to play by different rules (i.e. more instant replay), then fine, good for them for finally learning from their mistakes. However that doesn't mean that Selig can just pull something out of his behind and break the rules currently in place for one play, no matter how big or small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,479,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The next one almost certainly wouldn't be a perfect game, but it could be some other missed call of monumental importance that is whined about the next day.

You simply cannot go back and change calls made on the field, whether it happened yesterday or 25 years ago. If MLB moves forward and decides to play by different rules (i.e. more instant replay), then fine, good for them for finally learning from their mistakes. However that doesn't mean that Selig can just pull something out of his behind and break the rules currently in place for one play, no matter how big or small.
The one thing I would say, is if somehow it was exposed that the ump was in cahoots with gamblers (obviously this is not the case) and purposely blew the call to FIX it, I think the MLB would reverse the ruling, or at least I hope they would. It's splitting hairs to a point, but you said it could not happen, I think in that situation it would. Point is, I really don't think its moral, or a pride ground Selig is standing on, he is just a scared man...then again maybe I just dislike him so much that I am blurred on this issue.

I will say though I disagree with you and Grandstander, I have enjoyed the debate.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,999,835 times
I for one do not share the belief that the umpire is some kind of stand up guy for admitting he made a mistake.What is he supposed to say?He's right and a million video replays are wrong?Hey,tough sh*t Gallaraga,get over it 'cause sh*t happens?

If the ump were a standup guy he would have chosen,on the frickin field,to consult with the other umps.I mean,it's only the last out in a potentially perfect game.No real need to make sure you got THIS call right.But no,this guy has to play the typical "I'm a god and don't you question me" attitude of most umps and miss the chance to do the kid right.Admitting you've screwed up once it has been shown to the world a hundreds times that you did means ...not much.

The kid showed a ton of class.The ump admitted the obvious,afterwards,when it did no good.Big deal.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,128,868 times
Who would have thought that 2 perfect games could be thrown in the same season, unfortunately this one was stolen from him. I wish Selig had the balls to overturn the call especially considering the ump admitted his fault, but Selig is a coward who is afraid to stray from the norm. I do give the players and Joyce alot of credit for the game after it, because everything was handled with alot of class.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,347,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I do give the players and Joyce alot of credit for the game after it, because everything was handled with alot of class.
You mean....... Detroit Players and Detroit fans? Wow! You see? We are not all crooked politicans and gang bangers out here?!?!?

As a whole we are a pretty classy bunch of folks. We know that people make mistakes, but when they own up to them, we are gracious enough to accept that apology instead of whining about what coulda/shoulda/woulda been.

Actually, one of our local sportscasters made a very interesting point last night. He didn't think Selig would or should overturn the call, althought he did agree that provisions could and should be put in place to make sure a repeat never happens. But more importantly, he thought the blown call provided an opportunity for things to happen that would never have happened otherwise.

If the blown call hadn't happened, Galarraga would not have had the opportunity to show the world what a classy guy and a true gentleman he is. BTW, to the poster who thought he was nursing his wounds with a new Corvette, he had already accepted the apology and was moving on long before GM presented him a new vehicle.

If the blown call hadn't happened, Jim Joyce wouldn't have had the opportunity to 'step up to the plate' so to speak and acknowledge his human fraility, that he makes mistakes just like the rest of us mere flawed mortals. Agood leason for us all to be reminded of periodically.

If the blown call hadn't happened, the gruff and rough and tough Jim Leyland wouldn't have had the opportunity to show his softer side as reconciliator. It was his idea for Galarraga to presented the line-up to Joyce before the start of Thursday's game.

If the blown call hadn't happened, the Detroit Tiger's fans would not have had the opportunity to show the rest of world by their acknowledgement of Joyce's apology by the round of applause he received before the game that 'there is no crying in baseball' and what classy fans they are in suscribing to that philosophy.

I understand people being upset about the 'statistical' aspect of the blown call and the injustice of it and all, but truthfully, I think the Tigers and Detroit, and baseball in general, gained more than they lost that night.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Who would have thought that 2 perfect games could be thrown in the same season, unfortunately this one was stolen from him. I wish Selig had the balls to overturn the call especially considering the ump admitted his fault, but Selig is a coward who is afraid to stray from the norm. I do give the players and Joyce alot of credit for the game after it, because everything was handled with alot of class.
3 perfect games.Braden,Halladay,and this one that doesn't count because of a screwup.

Interestingly,a sports writer on CNN practically predicted another perfect game this season.He likens this to the 4 minute mile barrier,which was considered insurmountable until Bannister did it and then within weeks others were breaking it right and left.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 AM
NSX NSX started this thread

877 posts, read 2,166,455 times
I understand both sides of the argument...MLB doesn't want to set a precedent and reverse calls, but the guy deserves a perfect game and his place in history.

It just leaves you with a crappy feeling and I think MLB should try to do something to make it right, even if they don't reverse the call. What gets to you is that this isn't Multi-Millionaire David Wells who lost his perfect game, it's just a kid who's trying to make a career for himself. They are always fining players for little things that they do "wrong", how about giving the guy a bonus to compensate for the screw-up?

If I were Bud Selig I'd give the guy a $500K bonus or get him a Lamborghini, just some really nice gesture. But unfortunately, I don't think the MLB will do anything for him.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

The article I referred to in post 146

Roy Halladay should enjoy his perfect game, before next one - Joe Posnanski - SI.com

Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,128,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
You mean....... Detroit Players and Detroit fans? Wow! You see? We are not all crooked politicans and gang bangers out here?!?!?

As a whole we are a pretty classy bunch of folks. We know that people make mistakes, but when they own up to them, we are gracious enough to accept that apology instead of whining about what coulda/shoulda/woulda been.

Actually, one of our local sportscasters made a very interesting point last night. He didn't think Selig would or should overturn the call, althought he did agree that provisions could and should be put in place to make sure a repeat never happens. But more importantly, he thought the blown call provided an opportunity for things to happen that would never have happened otherwise.

If the blown call hadn't happened, Galarraga would not have had the opportunity to show the world what a classy guy and a true gentleman he is. BTW, to the poster who thought he was nursing his wounds with a new Corvette, he had already accepted the apology and was moving on long before GM presented him a new vehicle.

If the blown call hadn't happened, Jim Joyce wouldn't have had the opportunity to 'step up to the plate' so to speak and acknowledge his human fraility, that he makes mistakes just like the rest of us mere flawed mortals. Agood leason for us all to be reminded of periodically.

If the blown call hadn't happened, the gruff and rough and tough Jim Leyland wouldn't have had the opportunity to show his softer side as reconciliator. It was his idea for Galarraga to presented the line-up to Joyce before the start of Thursday's game.

If the blown call hadn't happened, the Detroit Tiger's fans would not have had the opportunity to show the rest of world by their acknowledgement of Joyce's apology by the round of applause he received before the game that 'there is no crying in baseball' and what classy fans they are in suscribing to that philosophy.

I understand people being upset about the 'statistical' aspect of the blown call and the injustice of it and all, but truthfully, I think the Tigers and Detroit, and baseball in general, gained more than they lost that night.
Sorry I forgot to mention the fans too. It was an all around effort. I liked seeing Joyce's emotion. You could tell by his demeanor that he knew that he screwed up even though he had already admitted it but he ws touched by the non-spoken forgiveness by all around him including players and fans. This actually became a major plus for MLB, now if Bud could pull his head out of his a$$, that would complete the package.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,030,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Detroit's Armando Galarraga narrowly misses season's 3rd perfect game - Daily Pitch: MLB News, Standings, Schedules & More - USATODAY.com

What a shame. He was clearly out in the replay, and umpire Jim Joyce calls him safe to steal his perfect game. This has to be the worst call I have ever seen. Did anyone else see this?

Thoughts?
There's just two reasons to get mad at an ump or a referee. If an ump or ref does not give a sincere effort on the job is one reason. For an example, an ump that doesn't bother to put himself into ideal position to make a call. The second reason to get mad at an ump or ref is if it's a deliberate bad call, some kind of "payback" or some other disgraceful mentality on the part of the referee. Jim Joyce was guilty of neither of these improprieties. He made a mistake. He showed that he was human. If an ump has the authority to reverse such calls on the field after seeing a replay, but refuses to reverse it, then there's grounds for anger. But such was not the case on that particular night.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 06-04-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball