Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times

Advertisements

After giving up 10 hits (only one of which left the yard), San Diego Padres in an interview I saw on Comcast said Citizens Bank Park is a "joke" and "there's a reason the Phillies average over 5 runs a game"
Apparently the dufus hasn't looked at any stats about ballpark factor or even the fact the Phillies haven't had too many problems scoring away from CBP.
Did the moron even think about what he's saying about his teammates who only managed to only score 2 runs off a 47 year old in this "joke" of a ballpark?
Hey Jonny boy, take a ticket and stand behind all the other sore losers in baseball that have made excuses about losing to the Phillies (whether it be the ballpark or a pair of freaking binoculars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
In its years of operation, Citizen's Bank Park has finished no higher than 12th among 30 parks, and no lower than 15th among 30 parks, in helping to boost offense. It has been a slightly better than average hitting environment.

You are quite correct when you point out that Garland is misinformed regarding the above. However, I suspect that rather than his statement being proof that he is a moron, it is more revealing of his emotional state following a poor performance by himself.

Immediately after his loss to Ali in Zaire, George Foreman blamed his loss on the ring ropes having been deliberately loosened to help Ali lean further away in his rope-a-dope strategy. A few years ago I saw the reborn George Foreman being interviewed and he was asked about the loose rope accusations. Foreman laughed and said that up to that time, he had been the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world. He could not wrap his mind around the notion of losing, so naturally he looked for mitigating factors which took the blame from himself. Foreman said that back then he would have happily embraced any available excuse...the ropes were lose, his gloves were tight, his shoes didn't fit, it was too hot, his water was poisoned....anything rather than admit that someone had just bested him.

I suspect that the above is closer to the truth about Garland's statements than is the idea that he is too stupid to grasp the reality.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
It might not be a joke of a ballpark stat-wise (OP is correct), but it ties Nationals Park as the FUGLIEST new stadium built in the past 15 years. Eek.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Are you serious? I've been there probably a few dozen times and it's a beautiful park. Feel free to look up what their previous 2 parks looked like.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
It might not be a joke of a ballpark stat-wise (OP is correct), but it ties Nationals Park as the FUGLIEST new stadium built in the past 15 years. Eek.
Have you ever even been there in person? Careful now, someone sounds a little bitter! CBP is a beautiful park.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,973,860 times
I take it Garland didn't also say, "By the way, I'm so glad I pitch home games in Petco Park. I'm a mediocre pitcher who has become a Cy Young candidate thanks to my home ballpark."

That would make too much sense.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Have you ever even been there in person? Careful now, someone sounds a little bitter! CBP is a beautiful park.
Yeah, I've been to 22 of the current ballparks - including CBP. Nothing against it - it's just not one of the better new parks in MLB. I was a little hasty - it's not nearly as fugly as Nationals Park.

To Twista: Just because the Vet was uglier than CBP doesn't mean CBP is necessarily a great new ballpark lol

I'm glad you guys like it - that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball