Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times

Advertisements

On a side note, Rolen should get a nice warm reception![/QUOTE

Players like Rolen and JD Drew were the type of players that didn't like are city. They also blamed management for not making a winner here. I wonder what the both of them are thinking now?

07 NL East

08 NL East - Pennant winner - WS Champs

09 NL East - Pennant winner - WS losers

10 NL East - ? - ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
On a side note, Rolen should get a nice warm reception![/QUOTE

Players like Rolen and JD Drew were the type of players that didn't like are city. They also blamed management for not making a winner here. I wonder what the both of them are thinking now?

07 NL East

08 NL East - Pennant winner - WS Champs

09 NL East - Pennant winner - WS losers

10 NL East - ? - ?
Scott Rolen was traded to STL in 2002 and went to the playoffs in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009. His teams have had 2 World Series appearances and one win. I'm sure he's quite content with his decision.

JD Drew went to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. He was with the Boston Red Sox in 2007 when they won the World Series. I'm sure he is quite content with his decision as well as the Red Sox are playoff contenders every season.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Scott Rolen was traded to STL in 2002 and went to the playoffs in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009. His teams have had 2 World Series appearances and one win. I'm sure he's quite content with his decision.

JD Drew went to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. He was with the Boston Red Sox in 2007 when they won the World Series. I'm sure he is quite content with his decision as well as the Red Sox are playoff contenders every season.
And maybe Phillies fans are dead-on in their character judgements of these two....both players have never been able to stick with one team for much time without some kind of trouble....Rolen had a well-publicized spat with with LaRussa in St. Louis. Drew is almost like Milton Bradley in how he keeps being shuffled to different teams.

Rolen seemed to whine that the Phils weren't investing in a winning team, yet at that time is when the foundation was being laid for the current team, which is approaching dynasty status and is a team that players WANT to play for. Halladay was campaigning to come to Philly even last year in Toronto, and probably took a shorter contract than he might have gotten on the open market to stay in Philly. Rolen was complaining about them being cheap, yet they were waving a pretty big contract extension in front of him at the time, and Citizens Bank Park was close to being built...once the team moved into CBP, the revenue stream was much bigger than at the Vet.

Oh well, we've done just fine without Rolen. I'd take Polanco over him at this point anyways (ironically Polanco is one of the players we got in the Rolen trade). And we've done just fine without Drew....actually we ended up drafting Pat Burrell with the pick received from not signing Drew, and Burrell was a big part of the 2008 WFC. So no big loss in not signing JD BOOO!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And maybe Phillies fans are dead-on in their character judgements of these two....both players have never been able to stick with one team for much time without some kind of trouble....Rolen had a well-publicized spat with with LaRussa in St. Louis. Drew is almost like Milton Bradley in how he keeps being shuffled to different teams.

Rolen seemed to whine that the Phils weren't investing in a winning team, yet at that time is when the foundation was being laid for the current team, which is approaching dynasty status and is a team that players WANT to play for. Halladay was campaigning to come to Philly even last year in Toronto, and probably took a shorter contract than he might have gotten on the open market to stay in Philly. Rolen was complaining about them being cheap, yet they were waving a pretty big contract extension in front of him at the time, and Citizens Bank Park was close to being built...once the team moved into CBP, the revenue stream was much bigger than at the Vet.

Oh well, we've done just fine without Rolen. I'd take Polanco over him at this point anyways (ironically Polanco is one of the players we got in the Rolen trade). And we've done just fine without Drew....actually we ended up drafting Pat Burrell with the pick received from not signing Drew, and Burrell was a big part of the 2008 WFC. So no big loss in not signing JD BOOO!
Yeah. I hear a lot about how terrible it is to play for the Red Sox and Cardinals.

Player WAR 2008 - 2010:
Rolen: 3.0, 3.8, 5.0 = 11.8
Polanco: 2.8, 3.1, 3.6 = 9.5

Rolen is happy, Drew is happy, the Cardinals are happy, the Red Sox are happy...Funny it is only Philly phans that I see bringing it up

Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Can't understand why Dusty isn't starting any Lefties against the Phillies?
Is he hoping the games will be close, and then he'll have a lefty loaded bullpen for the late innings?
Isn't that dangerous? The Phillies big bats will have tee'd off on the righites by then making the late innings less important.
I am sure Howard & Utley & Ibanez are very happy with the selection of starters.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Player WAR 2008 - 2010:
WAR? Who gives a crap about these meaningless stat-geek numbers?? Rolen is a good player, but in reality, his personality is one that seems to clash with others quite often, he has not stayed healthy over his career. Polanco is a great guy to have in the clubhouse, has played excellent defense, and is a contact hitter who routinely hits over .300. I'll take Polly.

You can't come up with a stat for chemistry, yet its one of the most important things on a championship team.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:
Yeah. I hear a lot about how terrible it is to play for the Red Sox and Cardinals.

Player WAR 2008 - 2010:

Rolen is happy, Drew is happy, the Cardinals are happy, the Red Sox are happy...Funny it is only Philly phans that I see bringing it up
Maybe so!

Good Riddance...It's funny how things play out. World F'n Champions.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
....which is approaching dynasty status ....
Wow, getting a bit arrogant, aren't we? Trying to out-do Patriots fans?

Anyway, how did this turn into a Rolen and J.D. Drew discussion?

The Redlegs obviously have an uphill climb in this series, but they play the games for a reason. Let's go Reds!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wow, getting a bit arrogant, aren't we? Trying to out-do Patriots fans?
No...but the truth is, if the Phils win the WS this year, going to 3 straight WS and winning 2 of them doesn't happen all that often these days. Aside from the Yankees, nobody has done it recently...the closest would be the Red Sox winning in 04 and 07.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
No...but the truth is, if the Phils win the WS this year, going to 3 straight WS and winning 2 of them doesn't happen all that often these days. Aside from the Yankees, nobody has done it recently...the closest would be the Red Sox winning in 04 and 07.
A couple of things - 1. You have to get to the WS first, and 2. You'd have to win the WS.

But, yeah, that would be a nice streak. I'm going to show my age, though -- The Reds in the 70s went to 4 WS, winning 2 and playing in 6 NLCSs. So, please excuse us older Reds fans if we're unimpressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball