U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they slowly regressing?
Yes 8 61.54%
No 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,824,158 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the rest of you, but last season I saw a different Celtics team than 2008. The team that was driven to win, not so much anymore- not just saying that because they lost 2010 but because I saw a lack of effort from them.

Anyone notice how Rondo plays the most aggressive when it comes to getting steals and rebounds?
He's a driving force for the Celtics and it appears that the other three out of the BIG 4, (Pierce, Garnett, Ray Allen) are aging and it's evident by their play- okay Pierce not so much.

Kevin Garnett & Ray Allen (especially) have been going down hill on their performance. They're getting to that age where they can't keep up- not even with their own teammate Rajon Rondo.
(Both 34 years old)

Anyways the point of this thread is, do you think the Celtics will make it to the Finals next year?
I don't think so, other teams are becoming more aggressive and are improving, but to me, since 2008 it appears the Celtics have been slowly regressing.
I will be surprised if they make it into the Finals at all in the next few years, unless they get some fresh talent on their roster.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM

Wow, no response- weird!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,288,374 times
I do think the "Big Three" era in Boston is done. They just don't have the legs for it anymore. The Celtics really should have beaten the Lakers this year. And this is coming from a life long Lakers fan. They had the Lakers beat. However, they just didn't have enough in the tank to finish them. Forget game seven. Boston should have lowered the hammer in game six. However, Boston just couldn't sustain the effort the way they did in 2008. It wasn't because they were unfocused or lazy. They just didn't have enough stamina to pull it out. In sports, youth is indeed a weapon to be used. And old legs are costly.

Unless they get a serious injection of talented youth from somewhere their championship days are done for a while. However, the wild card is the state of the East. Who is really going to take over the conference? It depends on where some of these free agents land.

I, for one, do not buy the whole hype around some proposed super team. These guys want to get paid. With a new (and much more conservative) CBA coming down the line getting the most money and the most years will trump trying to create some super team. Guys may change locations, but the end result may be just the same. There will be good teams, but no great teams. This kind of set up (if it happens) could leave the door open for the C's. I doubt Boston will have enough left to take advantage it, though.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,885,514 times
This past season was, I think, their last year as a finals contender. Ray will be 35, Garnett 34 and a far cry from even 2 years ago when they won, Pierce will be 33 and clearly on the last days of his prime. Rondo will continue to improve, but most of the top free agents will be landing on eastern teams, and likely in tandom ( wade/bosh, Lebron/Bosh, Wade/ Amare, etc etc). I don't see Boston beating teams with those star combos. The Bulls figure to be a force next year if they get even ONE player, joining a team with Rose and Noah. It really is just too difficult to say until the smoke has cleared from the free agent bonanza. The west is a much clearer picture: Lakers and then everyone else. The Spurs era is over, Dallas and Phoenix are a step behind, Oklahoma is at least 2 years and a player away from being a major contender( though I like their core).

Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,256,307 times
I accidentally voted "yes" but I actually don't believe that the Celtics are done for good this coming season. They came damn close to winning the championship against a team that was considered a "shoo-in". I don't know what the team make-up with be but, like the Lakers, probably not much change. Doc Rivers is staying and so is Paul Pierce [both were expected to leave and encouraged to do so by some Boston sports writers]. Considering the age factor, it would be safe to predict that the Celtics are done but first we need to see what the other teams are going to look like once the rosters are finalized.

Personally, I would love to see the Celtics and Lakers go at it again in 2011 thought it appears unlikely.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:47 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,885,514 times
How successful the Celts are depends alot on how the east shakes out with the free agent signings. On their path to the finals, they took out teams with one superstar each ( Wade, James, Howard). If you have a Wade/Bosh, Lebron/Amare or some combo like that along with decent role players, that could be it. Both Ray Allen and Garnett came to Boston at the end of their primes, and they're well out of their primes now, especially Garnett and he was the Celts best offensive post presence and defensive quarterback. Now he's a spot up jumpshooter. Still a 'great' player who will give you flashes of old, but you can't expect night in, night out when father time will pay a visit. Same with Allen and Pierce.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,256,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
How successful the Celts are depends alot on how the east shakes out with the free agent signings. On their path to the finals, they took out teams with one superstar each ( Wade, James, Howard). If you have a Wade/Bosh, Lebron/Amare or some combo like that along with decent role players, that could be it. Both Ray Allen and Garnett came to Boston at the end of their primes, and they're well out of their primes now, especially Garnett and he was the Celts best offensive post presence and defensive quarterback. Now he's a spot up jumpshooter. Still a 'great' player who will give you flashes of old, but you can't expect night in, night out when father time will pay a visit. Same with Allen and Pierce.
Right. That was the story in the finals. The "big 3" never hit their prime at the same time and by the second half of the 7th game they literally were out of gas. But considering how many teams the Celtics annihilated in the playoffs, it was an incredible display of veteran confidence and superb play [though never in rhythm with each-other]. On-the-other-hand, the Lakers also played inconsistently and Kobe was so off by game 7 that it easily could have been a Celtic championship and why Boston was so devastated by the loss.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 PM

I know what you guys are saying but that same level of inconsistency shows how reliance on their top players is diminishing.
Remember in the Finals, the bench team carried them to one victory too. That doesn't really look all too well for the performance coming out of the starters in Boston.

If you look at every time out video clip, Doc Rivers is almost always talking to Rondo about being aggressive, I think he knows just as well as Pierce, Ray Allen, & Kevin Garnett that they can't win unless Rondo carries their aggressiveness for the entire team.

Also look at the teams they beat off with those super-stars, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, & Dwight Howard are all the driving forces in their team. They literally do carry their teams success on their backs. A team like Los Angeles has a superstar player too but Kobe gets a lot of help from his teammates. Do you remember the Kobe era post-Shaq and Pre-Pau? Kobe wasn't doing all to well on his own.
That's what the Heat, Cavalliers, & Magic are, they're the Lakers Post-Shaq/Pre-Pau.

The Celtics have a good build up on their team, and each starting player contributes about an equal share of the overall Celtics wealth. But like many of you have said, they're an aging team. You know analysts have said that the last time the Big 3 for the Celtics played in a synchronized and heavy performance manner was in the 2008 Finals. The Celtics started going downhill from 2009 season and this 2010 Finals proved it to me- that they won't be seeing another Finals again with the current aging roster, and definitely not a championship. The Lakers are young and improving, the Celtics are aging and heavily relying on Rondo to carry them too much now.
I think 2008 was their zenith, and from then on, they've gone on nearly a downward roll. Lakers were disadvantaged by not having Bynum play his best. The Celtics had a full and healthy roster up until game 7 when Perkins was out due to his injury.

I know it sounds harsh, but their Finals days are over to be frank, because;
1. I am positive with the mess of free agency right now, one team will becoming a huge driving force.
2. The Celtics are aging faster than Rondo is improving. Rondo needs some fresh legs out there and steady & consistent hands too, and the Celtics are getting to hard to offer him that with their diminishing performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball