U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
Reputation: 3070

Advertisements

Top 25 since 1968 to the end of the most recent season.


1. Shaquille O’Neal — $290,846,146
2. Kevin Garnett — $251,315,354
3. Chris Webber — $178,230,697
4. Kobe Bryant — $171,384,365
5. Jason Kidd — $165,853,968
6. Tim Duncan — $164,844,536
7. Tracy McGrady — $160,273,916
8. Allen Iverson — $154,494,445
9. Jermaine O’Neal — $153,450,640
10. Stephon Marbury — $151,115,945
11. Rasheed Wallace — $150,436,080
12. Juwan Howard — $148,761,271
13. Alonzo Mourning — $143,906,333
14. Dikembe Mutombo — $143,666,581
15. Michael Finley — $138,576,839
16. Grant Hill — $131,055,650
17. Dirk Nowitzki — $124,063,985
18. Patrick Ewing — $123,843,120
19. Zydrunas Ilgauskas — $123,135,542
20. Anfernee Hardaway — $120,469,142
21. David Robinson — $118,135,623
22. Allan Houston — $117,556,500
23. Vince Carter — $116,793,315
24. Antawn Jamison — $111,358,288
25. Elton Brand — $110,159,451

Source

The Top 25 NBA Career Salaries of All-Time | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

I saw this on another forum and thought it was pretty fascinating. Some very notable names missing from this list like, oh I dunno, MICHAEL JORDAN, and some serious people on this list, like Big Z and Starbury.

Obviously all this will change in time, but pretty interesting stuff looking back from this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Galewood
3,738 posts, read 8,682,749 times
Reputation: 2169
[quote=Orangeish;14943959]Top 25 since 1968 to the end of the most recent season.


1. Shaquille O’Neal — $290,846,146
2. Kevin Garnett — $251,315,354

3. Chris Webber — $178,230,697
4. Kobe Bryant — $171,384,365
5. Jason Kidd — $165,853,968
6. Tim Duncan — $164,844,536

7. Tracy McGrady — $160,273,916
8. Allen Iverson — $154,494,445
9. Jermaine O’Neal — $153,450,640
10. Stephon Marbury — $151,115,945
11. Rasheed Wallace — $150,436,080
12. Juwan Howard — $148,761,271
13. Alonzo Mourning — $143,906,333
14. Dikembe Mutombo — $143,666,581
15. Michael Finley — $138,576,839
16. Grant Hill — $131,055,650
17. Dirk Nowitzki — $124,063,985
18. Patrick Ewing — $123,843,120

19. Zydrunas Ilgauskas — $123,135,542
20. Anfernee Hardaway — $120,469,142
21. David Robinson — $118,135,623
22. Allan Houston — $117,556,500
23. Vince Carter — $116,793,315
24. Antawn Jamison — $111,358,288
25. Elton Brand — $110,159,451

sad because only a few are future hall of famers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 AM
 
51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Top 25 since 1968 to the end of the most recent season.


1. Shaquille O’Neal — $290,846,146
2. Kevin Garnett — $251,315,354
3. Chris Webber — $178,230,697
4. Kobe Bryant — $171,384,365
5. Jason Kidd — $165,853,968
6. Tim Duncan — $164,844,536
7. Tracy McGrady — $160,273,916
8. Allen Iverson — $154,494,445
9. Jermaine O’Neal — $153,450,640
10. Stephon Marbury — $151,115,945
11. Rasheed Wallace — $150,436,080
12. Juwan Howard — $148,761,271
13. Alonzo Mourning — $143,906,333
14. Dikembe Mutombo — $143,666,581
15. Michael Finley — $138,576,839
16. Grant Hill — $131,055,650
17. Dirk Nowitzki — $124,063,985
18. Patrick Ewing — $123,843,120
19. Zydrunas Ilgauskas — $123,135,542
20. Anfernee Hardaway — $120,469,142
21. David Robinson — $118,135,623
22. Allan Houston — $117,556,500
23. Vince Carter — $116,793,315
24. Antawn Jamison — $111,358,288
25. Elton Brand — $110,159,451

Source

The Top 25 NBA Career Salaries of All-Time | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

I saw this on another forum and thought it was pretty fascinating. Some very notable names missing from this list like, oh I dunno, MICHAEL JORDAN, and some serious people on this list, like Big Z and Starbury.

Obviously all this will change in time, but pretty interesting stuff looking back from this point.
There is a reason the list looks like that.

1) NBA salaries started to explode as Jordan came into his prime.
2) The league put into effect it's cap\rookie salary structure a bit after that to fix some of the looming salary issues that created issues for the NFL and MLB.

The combo of #1 and #2 are why Shaq tops the list. He signed his last big contract right before the whole cap thing got redone. Now *in general* a max contract starts out around 9million and goes up 20% annually for 7 years for a total of around 116mil.

Rookie pay is a fixed scale based on draft position for 3 years with an option for a 4th. This pays the #1 draft pick around 16mil+ for their first 4 years.

So basically, a complete stud with a rookie 4 years and then 2 x 7 year max's is going to top out around 250mil in their late 30's and then maybe get a few years more at low pay which means Shaq is going to sit on top that list forever.

P.S. George Mikan played back when the nba was tiny and had little money upon his death a few years back. Word is Shaq payed for the funeral and helped the family out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a reason the list looks like that.

1) NBA salaries started to explode as Jordan came into his prime.
2) The league put into effect it's cap\rookie salary structure a bit after that to fix some of the looming salary issues that created issues for the NFL and MLB.

The combo of #1 and #2 are why Shaq tops the list. He signed his last big contract right before the whole cap thing got redone. Now *in general* a max contract starts out around 9million and goes up 20% annually for 7 years for a total of around 116mil.

Rookie pay is a fixed scale based on draft position for 3 years with an option for a 4th. This pays the #1 draft pick around 16mil+ for their first 4 years.

So basically, a complete stud with a rookie 4 years and then 2 x 7 year max's is going to top out around 250mil in their late 30's and then maybe get a few years more at low pay which means Shaq is going to sit on top that list forever.

P.S. George Mikan played back when the nba was tiny and had little money upon his death a few years back. Word is Shaq payed for the funeral and helped the family out.
Kobe is on the books for 24 million next year, and should stay right in that neighborhood. If, and its a big if he can keep playing for 6 or 7 more years and command that type of salary, he could potentially pass Shaq, probably unlikely the way the future is shaping up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
 
51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Kobe is on the books for 24 million next year, and should stay right in that neighborhood.
That's not how the salary stuctures work. His new contract will reset to the league max of around 9million and then go up 20% each year.

So, you sign a deal and it goes something like....
9,11, 13, 16, 19, 23, 28 over 7 years.

Then you start over at 9....

The 20% increases don't count against the cap which is why you see two guys with 7 year max deals...one making 24mil and another making 9mil...taking up the same amount of cap room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's not how the salary stuctures work. His new contract will reset to the league max of around 9million and then go up 20% each year.

So, you sign a deal and it goes something like....
9,11, 13, 16, 19, 23, 28 over 7 years.

Then you start over at 9....

The 20% increases don't count against the cap which is why you see two guys with 7 year max deals...one making 24mil and another making 9mil...taking up the same amount of cap room.
Except this thread is about career earnings, so I don't see what the point of your last line is. But I did not know about the reset to 9 million in a new contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
 
51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Except this thread is about career earnings, so I don't see what the point of your last line is. But I did not know about the reset to 9 million in a new contract.
Well, it explains why a team can pay 50million to 3 guys and another can pay 30millino to 3 guys in a given year and both are taking up the same amount of cap space.

Just trying to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top