Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times

Advertisements

I hope egos can be put aside....this next season can end up like Portland's in 2000 or win like LA did in 72'. Funny because even with the talent that LA had in the mid 60s- early 70s (Baylor, West, Chamberlain, Goodrich) they weren't able to win as many championships as one would think- Lets see if history repeats.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The pro leagues never seem to understand and/or just don't care that when all the great talent goes to just a few big money teams it takes the fun out of the sport for the fans. The small money / small market teams get crushed all season by 2-3 teams in each league, so much so that the post-season line-up is a lock from opening day. That's why I vote with my feet by staying home and keeping MY money in MY pocket. Screw them all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I really think the thought of not winning a title due to the last 2yrs really scared Lebron in signing with any other team that he wasn't sure of. Even a good core of the Bulls probably still scared him off after two early exits in the playoffs by the Cavs. He probably saw that you need another superstar to win a title. That is why he went for the 'sure' thing in signing with Miami with Wade there. Even if Bosh didn't sign with Miami, Lebron would've teamed up with Wade. Having Bosh was just an added bonus. Plus, the hot latina women on the beach surely didn't hurt!

Last edited by JL; 07-08-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Honestly, I know I don't like the NY teams much, so just throwing my bias out there first. But I knew they didn't have a chance from the start. Like I've been saying to people in these threads it was ALL about a championship for him. The guy knows how to make money regardless of where he plays, he's one of the biggest names in the NBA for crying out loud. He even said so in his interview after becoming a MVP for the first time, that he'd trade that for a Championship in a heartbeat without even thinking twice.

That's why I knew NY teams (both of them) never had a chance. The Nets had a terrible record last season, the worst in the NBA... and that scared all the big agents away. The Knicks have been mediocre for a long time now, and why go there? For the Big city? Basically that's all it offered more than Cleveland, a bigger market more fun city, more fame, but he'd still have to reinvent the team himself.

He was considering Chicago for a long time because they had a good core team, and it was a good city too, and large media market. Miami, he was considering this too only if Bosh & Wade were to stay.

IMHO, both NY teams were at the bottom of his pot of consideration between all the teams that pitched to him, besides the Clippers- they seemed to be the bottom of his list, and only ones lower than the Nets & Knicks.

I'm not taking a shot at the Nets & Knicks, but it is what it is, the teams are terrible. And hopefully that changes with Amar'e.
Tend to agree. It's been 7 years for Lebron; he was not going to wait as long as others have [ie. KG] before getting a ring. Lebron is also the kingmaker, so to speak; he will bring a championship to Miami even if it is not much of a sports city. It did not matter what team as much as what co-players. No doubt that Wade & Bosh met with Lebron with the proposal and it was Miami instead of Cleveland or Toronto. Riley sweetened the deal and now all eyes are going to be on these 3 players and they better produce.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Or Chicago fans, or NYK fans, or if you appreciate loyality, or if you dont like concieted people that talk in the third person. Maybe you can preach that kumbai garbage but most people in the sports world dont buy that
Sports is entertainment to fans. It's business to owners and players and agents, etc......

People need to grow up and understand that.

I wish folks would get this upset when kids drop out of high school.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
lebron wants a fistful of championships.....it ain't gonna happen in Cleveland ! 7 years of trying his hardest at Cleveland,what more can a fan expect out of him. thanks for the 7 years lebron now follow your dreams its your turn. I will be rooting for Miami to take it all.
I dont think lebron will stop his community support for the Akron area......unless the n.e.Ohio fans chase him out of town . I just hope the emotions of ohio fans doesn't ruin what Lebron does for Akron

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
lebron wants a fistful of championships.
Bingo! The whole deal in six short words. He calculated that the Heat had the best offer and the best possibilities for reaching that goal, and he was away down the Yellow Brick Road. Next case!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Listen, I respect your passion for your team but let's review how that series went down: Hawks 0 to Magic 4

Realistically, the Magic will start next year as a better team (success in the post season/not roster) than Miami and Atlanta (better overall), although staying ahead of Miami will take some magic. I lost a lot of confidence in the Magic after the disheartening series against the Celts in which they self destructed.
The best thing that can happen to Orlando right now is for Howard to get hurt and miss a season ala the David Robinson\Tim Duncan scenario.

Otherwise, it's tough for them to add talent.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
LeBron, LeBron, LeBron - how about LeYou and LeMe, we count much more and with class IMO.

This whole process with him was done in a classless way while keeping the other teams in limbo - very wrong in my book.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Our world-class city dominates in so many other catergories that whenever we falter the haters jump on that like a bum on a free 40oz.
NY is indeed a world class city and I actually like some of their football teams.

However, NO ONE jumps on the Knicks worse than their own fans and media.

Also, most posters here are old enough to remember when the Knicks started to falter and really no offense but how can anyone hate the Nets? They are kinda like the quiet kid no one notices in school.

The NY market is great if you can win it all but otherwise they shove you in the blender and turn it on high. The media and fans are impatient and it's gotten worse because of the Yankees success. Many fans (and posters here) don't understand the salary cap and just expect the knicks to be able to duplicate the Yankees model.

Eli Manning was under a ton of heat until the upset superbowl run. (which I loved) and the list goes on and on.

I'm not saying this is wrong but the Knicks are in a tough spot because there is no patience for rebuilding. The fans want a championship NOW. It's going to be an ugly ugly year for Amare and company in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball