U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,084,856 times

Advertisements

Just like in the NFL. Allow NBA teams to franchise their best player for up to 3 years. Let's say they'd have to pay them 10% more than the max contract in order to do so, which will hurt their cap numbers. But it would allow teams to hold on to their best player and give them a chance to build around them. It seems like the players have all the power right now. There's nothing stopping this type of "super team" planning from happening again next year, further tilting the scale in the NBA, making even more teams (especially the small market teams) irrelevant. This might become a trend.

I just don't see how else you can help a team like Cleveland hold on to a LeBron James. I keep hearing how they didn't do enough to build a good team around him... and yet, they were favored to win it all this past season, and would likely be favored this season if they made another adjustment. Seems everyone thought Cleveland management did a good enough before Boston put them out. Why are those same people changing their tune?

Small market teams simply won't be able to compete even with the bird rights. Because players know they can make up that difference with endorsements in the bigger markets where they'll attract more fans. It just seems like the teams should be able to do more to keep their best players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
The franchise tag is a slippery slope that can lead to disgruntled athletes milking injuries and not giving 100%-- as they do not want to risk injury before they get their "big" payday. A hardcap (if I understand the meaning of that word) and having a maximum salary of like, 4 million dollars for a player could solve this problem. Obviously there is no freaking way thats going to happen though.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,436,151 times
I don't see it as a fiasco, so I may be biased

but even in this franchise scenario, how many years can you keep doing this to the player, what are the escalators, etc

what is to keep a few guys from just delaying the inevitable for a year or two

i think the NBA actually does a pretty good job with their contracts, free agency, rookie scale, etc

no need to have a knee jerk reaction because the biggest FA moved after a 7 year stint with one team

another key difference in the # of players on each roster - say they tag one player for their teams max + 10% .... what does that do for the rest of their free agents? - who do they have to cut or let go .... it's not like they have 50+ players to take care of

and why would the player want to work out something long term after a team holds him against his wishes and makes the team worse in the process

Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 29 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 21,147,636 times
Franchise tag - that would really help smooth over the conflict in the upcoming player's union vs owners showdown

Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,436,372 times
I believe both Toronto and Cleveland are getting draft pick compensation....that is all the NFL does if a FA leaves. What more do you want the NBA to do?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 AM

All I'm saying is that the team doesn't have much power to keep their best player these days. It seems to me that Cleveland did about as much as they could to keep LeBron. They made FA moves each of the last 3 years to put more talent around him. And on paper, everyone thought they did a good job, and their record proved it, as did all the predictions. The entire world was on their bandwagon. So I don't think much of the blame can be put on management. They did their job.

Outside of the bird rights, there was nothing Cleveland could do to keep their best player once they lost to Boston. Now they're done, headed back to obscurity. It just seems like there should be a little more a team can do to hold on to their franchise player, especially in a case like this. I know that there aren't too many good answers to this though. It just doesn't seem right. But I guess I'm a purist who misses the old days when all the best players stuck around the same team for most, if not all their career. It's one thing when a player leaves the team at the end of their career to try and win a ring. But this is different. How long did it take Jordan to win a ring? What if he were to leave the Bulls the year before they won? It just wouldn't seem right.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,436,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
They made FA moves each of the last 3 years to put more talent around him. And on paper, everyone thought they did a good job, and their record proved it, as did all the predictions. The entire world was on their bandwagon. So I don't think much of the blame can be put on management. They did their job.
First, many were very skeptical of the moves the Cavs made. I for one thought the addition of Shaq was beyond idiotic. They added the wrong pieces in the wrong places.

Second, can a player only leave for money? If so then that is taken care of with the curent team being able to offer a stronger contract.

So that leaves why else can a player win. Better location, ability to play with a certain player, etc.

No one complains when Hakeem Warrick signs with the suns because he likes the system and is excited to play with Steve Nash while wintering in AZ.

However, when a big name guy makes a similar decision they are villified.

Jordan never had a reason to leave in his prime. His teams were pretty heavy in talent for a solid 8 years stretch.

Keep in mind that the bulls drafted Pippen only 3 years after they drafted Jordan. In pippens rookie season they made it the farthest the bulls had made it in a very long time and were considered a team on the rise. They had 3 consecutive losses to the pistons in the playoffs, who were a very legit team at the time.

There was steady improvement against them as the team got better. They broke through and won the NBA title in his 7th season.

The bulls were cleary a team on the build, with a strong core, strong coaching and learning to win.

The cavs weren't building, they were patching on the fly.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Just like in the NFL. Allow NBA teams to franchise their best player for up to 3 years. Let's say they'd have to pay them 10% more than the max contract in order to do so, which will hurt their cap numbers. But it would allow teams to hold on to their best player and give them a chance to build around them. It seems like the players have all the power right now. There's nothing stopping this type of "super team" planning from happening again next year, further tilting the scale in the NBA, making even more teams (especially the small market teams) irrelevant. This might become a trend.

I just don't see how else you can help a team like Cleveland hold on to a LeBron James. I keep hearing how they didn't do enough to build a good team around him... and yet, they were favored to win it all this past season, and would likely be favored this season if they made another adjustment. Seems everyone thought Cleveland management did a good enough before Boston put them out. Why are those same people changing their tune?

Small market teams simply won't be able to compete even with the bird rights. Because players know they can make up that difference with endorsements in the bigger markets where they'll attract more fans. It just seems like the teams should be able to do more to keep their best players.
I think it's funny that everyone is so bent out of shape about the Miami Heat when what happened there is nowhere near what has happened in baseball over the past 15 years or so.

You must be like me and not even pay attention to MLB anymore right? Because I don't know how you can stand the yankees 200+mil payroll if this bothers you.

P.S. Explain to me how Lebron is going to get MORE endorsement money now that he's playing with Miami? If endorsement money matched with market then how come no one has wanted to go to the Knicks for 10 years? Welcome to the internet age, RIP old media.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it's funny that everyone is so bent out of shape about the Miami Heat when what happened there is nowhere near what has happened in baseball over the past 15 years or so.

You must be like me and not even pay attention to MLB anymore right? Because I don't know how you can stand the yankees 200+mil payroll if this bothers you.

P.S. Explain to me how Lebron is going to get MORE endorsement money now that he's playing with Miami? If endorsement money matched with market then how come no one has wanted to go to the Knicks for 10 years? Welcome to the internet age, RIP old media.
The Knicks have had some pretty poor management the last 10 years. I don't know that any "super team" can help that franchise right now. And you're right, I don't pay attention to baseball, but get you mean about the Yankees.

I'm not upset at what the Heat accomplished, I just think this was unfortunate for the Cavs and all their fans. How many new fans was LeBron responsible for bringing in to that org? Now what? I think the Cavs did a pretty decent job given what they had to work with. I didn't think Shaq was going to put them over the top either, but it did seem they were at least trying. Hell, half the teams are trying to build great teams and can't get it right. Only a couple teams do every year.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
First, many were very skeptical of the moves the Cavs made. I for one thought the addition of Shaq was beyond idiotic. They added the wrong pieces in the wrong places.

Second, can a player only leave for money? If so then that is taken care of with the curent team being able to offer a stronger contract.

So that leaves why else can a player win. Better location, ability to play with a certain player, etc.

No one complains when Hakeem Warrick signs with the suns because he likes the system and is excited to play with Steve Nash while wintering in AZ.

However, when a big name guy makes a similar decision they are villified.

Jordan never had a reason to leave in his prime. His teams were pretty heavy in talent for a solid 8 years stretch.

Keep in mind that the bulls drafted Pippen only 3 years after they drafted Jordan. In pippens rookie season they made it the farthest the bulls had made it in a very long time and were considered a team on the rise. They had 3 consecutive losses to the pistons in the playoffs, who were a very legit team at the time.

There was steady improvement against them as the team got better. They broke through and won the NBA title in his 7th season.

The bulls were cleary a team on the build, with a strong core, strong coaching and learning to win.

The cavs weren't building, they were patching on the fly.
Decent points, but the Warrick signing is quite a bit different. He's not the face of the NBA, let alone the franchise. The Cavs are stuck with trying to rebuild - and who can they possibly get to fill the void when the guy leaving is widely considered the best (or second best) player in the league?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or