Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times

Advertisements

exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
The Heat haven't proven anything yet. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh is a great "big 3". And they have a few nice role players like Mike Miller, Big Z, and Udonis Haslem. But the Heat have not even played one regular season game yet. I myself think they will do very good during the regular season and win somewhere between 60-69 games. But The Cavs the last two years have had very good teams that won 66 and 61 games in back to back seasons. We all know how that ended them losing in the Conference Finals and than the very next year losing in the 2nd round. And other teams, the main one being Chicago, have made some big moves. Chicago didn't get a superstar player, but Carlos Boozer is still a very good all-star power foward. They got a very good three shooter in Kyle Korver. They got Ronnie Brewer who is a decent player at the shooting guard position. And now CJ Watson, who will most likely be the backup point guard for D. Rose. Watson has very good scoring ability. And they already had a good core of players. Joahkim Noah who is a 10 ppg and 12rpg center with alot of energy. Loul Deng, a decent scorer. Taj Gibson who is a nice backup for Boozer. I think it will be interesting to watch. I am no longer a Lebron fan though as I, like alot of people, felt like he disrespected Cleveland, so I will be rooting against the Heat every night they play.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The Heat haven't proven anything yet. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh is a great "big 3". And they have a few nice role players like Mike Miller, Big Z, and Udonis Haslem. But the Heat have not even played one regular season game yet. I myself think they will do very good during the regular season and win somewhere between 60-69 games. But The Cavs the last two years have had very good teams that won 66 and 61 games in back to back seasons. We all know how that ended them losing in the Conference Finals and than the very next year losing in the 2nd round. And other teams, the main one being Chicago, have made some big moves. Chicago didn't get a superstar player, but Carlos Boozer is still a very good all-star power foward. They got a very good three shooter in Kyle Korver. They got Ronnie Brewer who is a decent player at the shooting guard position. And now CJ Watson, who will most likely be the backup point guard for D. Rose. Watson has very good scoring ability. And they already had a good core of players. Joahkim Noah who is a 10 ppg and 12rpg center with alot of energy. Loul Deng, a decent scorer. Taj Gibson who is a nice backup for Boozer. I think it will be interesting to watch. I am no longer a Lebron fan though as I, like alot of people, felt like he disrespected Cleveland, so I will be rooting against the Heat every night they play.
The big difference between this new Miami team and the Cavs of the last few years, is that outside of Lebron, no Cav turned up come playoff time. Mo Williams, Jamison, and company wilted under the playoff lights. In short, they were a team built for the regular season, but not to withstand the pressure that comes with the playoffs. It didn't help that Lebron was subpar for whatever reason the last 3 games of the Celtics series( elbow injury, disinterest, whatever). I'm inclined to believe Lebron knew he was gone at that point, and his lethargic play indicated such. But one point to make, this is the first time Lebron has ever played with a legit 2nd star, and now he has two legit stars. I would expect nothing but good things to come of that.

This Heat team has both talent and experience, as well as players who have lots of playoff experience, a player who is a finals MVP and another who, aside from the Celtics series, has always produced in the playoffs. Not to mention an allstar bigman who, while having tolled in mediocrity in Toronto, won't have the pressure to carry a franchise now and will compliment Wade and Lebron. Some veteran bigmen, a shooter in Mike Miller, and a few other pieces. This is going to be a well-constructed team, but you are correct, they have proven nothing and the games are won on the court, not on paper. We'll see how it all turns out.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The big difference between this new Miami team and the Cavs of the last few years, is that outside of Lebron, no Cav turned up come playoff time. Mo Williams, Jamison, and company wilted under the playoff lights. In short, they were a team built for the regular season, but not to withstand the pressure that comes with the playoffs. It didn't help that Lebron was subpar for whatever reason the last 3 games of the Celtics series( elbow injury, disinterest, whatever). I'm inclined to believe Lebron knew he was gone at that point, and his lethargic play indicated such. But one point to make, this is the first time Lebron has ever played with a legit 2nd star, and now he has two legit stars. I would expect nothing but good things to come of that.

This Heat team has both talent and experience, as well as players who have lots of playoff experience, a player who is a finals MVP and another who, aside from the Celtics series, has always produced in the playoffs. Not to mention an allstar bigman who, while having tolled in mediocrity in Toronto, won't have the pressure to carry a franchise now and will compliment Wade and Lebron. Some veteran bigmen, a shooter in Mike Miller, and a few other pieces. This is going to be a well-constructed team, but you are correct, they have proven nothing and the games are won on the court, not on paper. We'll see how it all turns out.
One mathcup problem they will have Imo is playing teams with really good centers that also have other decent bigs aswell. Obviouslly Lebron and Wade will be better than most players they are matched up against. Im not too sure about Bosh. It will be interesting to see him play on a team that will probably actually be good, considering 6 out of his 7 years in the NBA hes been on under .500 teams.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
One mathcup problem they will have Imo is playing teams with really good centers that also have other decent bigs aswell.

Like.....(drumroll)...... the Lakers with the Bynum-Gasol combo. Bosh neutralizes Gasol imo, but Bynum( as usual) is the x-factor. Trouble with him is that he's yet to be healthy for the playoffs, and by all accounts he has an injury that will continuously nag him over the years. Not good for a 23 year old bigman. Having said that, the Heat do have Joel Anthony, a defensive center but they could use another young, defensive-oriented bigman. They will need active big bodies to be able to match up with LA in the post.

Quote:
Obviously Lebron and Wade will be better than most players they are matched up against. Im not too sure about Bosh. It will be interesting to see him play on a team that will probably actually be good, considering 6 out of his 7 years in the NBA hes been on under .500 teams.
As I mentioned before, Bosh doesn't have to carry the load as he did in Toronto. He just became overnight the best 3rd option in the league, because he will clearly fall in line behind Wade and Lebron. One big advantage the Heat have is they have 3 guys who command double teams. The best players to stick around the new trio are able-bodied defensive bigs( as aforementioned) and shooters, like Mike Miller. So it becomes a case of pick your poison: Are you going to double the big three, leaving shooters open, or will you defend with single coverage, and get murdered by Wade and Lebron on the perimeter, or Bosh down low. I mean, just thinking about it, the Heat now have 2 of the 5 hardest players in the league to guard. Big advantage.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I love a good, solid guarantee. The only problem is, since we now know who's going to win the next six championships, it's not necessary to play the next six seasons.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM

86 posts, read 326,165 times
We can talk here all day but unless the season is half way through, we can all just speculate what kind of team the heat will be.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
Guys, this thread is sarcasm.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
One mathcup problem they will have Imo is playing teams with really good centers that also have other decent bigs aswell. Obviouslly Lebron and Wade will be better than most players they are matched up against. Im not too sure about Bosh. It will be interesting to see him play on a team that will probably actually be good, considering 6 out of his 7 years in the NBA hes been on under .500 teams.
Bingo! Who covers Dwight Howard? Please don't tell me Bosh or Lebron...I saw what Howard did to Lebron last season...and will all those old legs they have signed can they chase their shooters around next May after a long season? Lebron knows this and I guarentee this is the team he is most worried about in the East. Don't you think Stan Van Gundy will be a little motivated for this one too?

I think the Celtics have enough in their tank as well and know they can actually count on Rondo for the whole season.

Chicago isn't there yet. When you throw out names like Taj Gibson, Deng and Noah- you are not in the upper echleon yet. Don't get me wrong its a nice young team, but no one on that squad has done it for a full year (aside from Boozer) or has seen meaningful playoff games.

The Heat will win 60-65 games even with a huge target on their back.

I haven't even mentioned the Lakers who likely pose the biggest challenge IF Bynum comes back 100%.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 07-23-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Like.....(drumroll)...... the Lakers with the Bynum-Gasol combo. Bosh neutralizes Gasol imo, but Bynum( as usual) is the x-factor. Trouble with him is that he's yet to be healthy for the playoffs, and by all accounts he has an injury that will continuously nag him over the years. Not good for a 23 year old bigman. Having said that, the Heat do have Joel Anthony, a defensive center but they could use another young, defensive-oriented bigman. They will need active big bodies to be able to match up with LA in the post.

As I mentioned before, Bosh doesn't have to carry the load as he did in Toronto. He just became overnight the best 3rd option in the league, because he will clearly fall in line behind Wade and Lebron. One big advantage the Heat have is they have 3 guys who command double teams. The best players to stick around the new trio are able-bodied defensive bigs( as aforementioned) and shooters, like Mike Miller. So it becomes a case of pick your poison: Are you going to double the big three, leaving shooters open, or will you defend with single coverage, and get murdered by Wade and Lebron on the perimeter, or Bosh down low. I mean, just thinking about it, the Heat now have 2 of the 5 hardest players in the league to guard. Big advantage.
Did you read Wally Szerbiacks comment on Lebron and Wade playing together? Its worth mentioning- I've seen Lebron without the ball for 7 years- its not very natural to him- If Wade and Lebron (very similar games) can adapt I agree with what you say.

As a Cavs fan we were begging Lebron to develope a post game for 5 years- if he does- all the better for the Heat especially with Wade. One thing that not alot fo people are raving about- is Lebron's defense, which Mike Brown put him in great opportunities to roam and play help defense- if the Heat coach does the same- all the better for the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball