U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM

369 posts, read 689,841 times

Advertisements

Which teams do think are going to surprise people this year? Last year we saw the Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and Thunder make huge strides. So yeah who is your comeback teams. I'm personally very high on the Clippers and Kings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM

3,290 posts, read 5,803,855 times
I think this is an interesting question.

The first thing that pops into mind for me is the Cleveland Cavaliers. They were picked to be #13 in the East this year. I think the players that are left on that team have a lot to prove that they weren't just riding Lebron's coattails the last few years. Now that they know they're on their own, I think they're going to be more aggressive. Byron Scott gets a lot out of a little and I think Ramon Sessions was a big pickup. I'm predicting an 8-9 seed and I think that will be a surprise.

I think the Knicks will surprise people in that they're not going to be as good as some people think they will be.

I agree - Kings (and by that same token, the Warriors) could surprise people a bit. I'm not saying they're playoff teams but I think they'll be better than people think.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,914,177 times
houston rockets!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,040,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
Which teams do think are going to surprise people this year? Last year we saw the Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bucks, and Thunder make huge strides. So yeah who is your comeback teams. I'm personally very high on the Clippers and Kings.

I'm gonna say in the East my pick would be Detroit and the West would be Houston

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,073,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I think this is an interesting question.

The first thing that pops into mind for me is the Cleveland Cavaliers. They were picked to be #13 in the East this year. I think the players that are left on that team have a lot to prove that they weren't just riding Lebron's coattails the last few years. Now that they know they're on their own, I think they're going to be more aggressive. Byron Scott gets a lot out of a little and I think Ramon Sessions was a big pickup. I'm predicting an 8-9 seed and I think that will be a surprise.

I think the Knicks will surprise people in that they're not going to be as good as some people think they will be.

I agree - Kings (and by that same token, the Warriors) could surprise people a bit. I'm not saying they're playoff teams but I think they'll be better than people think.
One question, there are twelve seconds on the clock in the fourth quarter and the Cavs have the ball. They are behind by one, who takes the last shot on that team?

Ramon Sessions a big pickup? Please!

Nobody REALLY thinks the Knicks will be good as long as Jim Dolan has anything to with that team.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM

3,290 posts, read 5,803,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
One question, there are twelve seconds on the clock in the fourth quarter and the Cavs have the ball. They are behind by one, who takes the last shot on that team?

Ramon Sessions a big pickup? Please!

Nobody REALLY thinks the Knicks will be good as long as Jim Dolan has anything to with that team.
Ramon Sessions isn't a big pickup for the Cavaliers? In Milwaukee, he looked like an excellent young PG with the ability to drive, shoot, and lead an offense. You don't have to be a future Hall of Famer to be a positive acquisition to a ball club. Is Darren Collison a big pickup for the Indiana Pacers?

Finally, your whole point is that the Cavaliers lack that go-to-guy? Does anyone recall when Lebron James was the most passive star in the game (one that helped lead his team to the Finals)? I don't think anyone will recall this, but aside from the silly half-court shot that Lebron threw up in Game 2 of ECF vs the Orlando Magic in 2009-10, the previous Cavaliers player to hit a game winning shot in the playoffs? Damon Jones.

I would argue that the best PLAY with the greatest percentage of success isn't your star player dribbling the ball down from 12 seconds and taking a highly-contested jump shot from 20-feet away. Instead, I think making the right pass, the right series of passes to the OPEN shooter is the better play.

Moreover, how many games per season will any team in the league rely on such a shot? Games are played over a 48-minute period and I believe far more games are won and lost in the 47 minutes preceding the final minute.

What's going to be key for a team like Cleveland is the realization that everything is on them now. For many people, additional responsibility brings a greater sense of self. Am I implying that Lebron James stunted the growth of any particular player on the team? Not necessarily, but there's no questioning that in many situations, the entire team stood around near-useless waiting for James to make his move. This won't be the same team on the floor next year. I'm not saying it's going to be pretty, but wouldn't it shock people if this group of losers made the playoffs, even if simply as a #8 seed? That's all I meant by adding them as a surprise team, especially since ESPN has them listed as #13.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,136,695 times
Indiana Pacers!!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,268,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
houston rockets!!!
I truly hope you are right since the Rockets are one of my favorite teams but Yao will be the real surprise if he can play this season.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,914,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I truly hope you are right since the Rockets are one of my favorite teams but Yao will be the real surprise if he can play this season.
He will. They will limit his minutes for the reg. season to around 20-25 minutes. I think he will come off the bench for the first part of the season.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,253,792 times
I'm a Mav's fan but I saw the Thunder play REALLY well and I'm also a fan of Kevin Durant. So GO MAVS, and after that I root for the Thunder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or