U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times

Advertisements

Andrew Bynum, the 23 yr old center for the Lakers decided to delay his knee surgery by over a month so that he could join Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol at the World Cup soccer finals in South Africa this summer. Bynam knew his knee would need an extensive operation that could take some time to heal yet put off the surgery until late July. Now Bynum is unable to practice with the team and likely will not be healthy enough until late November. Bynum earns $12 million, almost as much as Lamar Odom and Ron Artest combined and has been injured every season with extensive periods of no play.

Unless Bynum can stay healthy and contribute to the Lakers this season I think the team should cut him loose when his contract expires in 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM

219 posts, read 220,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Unless Bynum can stay healthy and contribute to the Lakers this season I think the team should cut him loose when his contract expires in 2 years.
I say they should do themselves a favor and trade him ASAP. What are their options in that regard? Clearly he's unprofessional and doesn't consider his obligation to the Lakers.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM

427 posts, read 451,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
I say they should do themselves a favor and trade him ASAP. What are their options in that regard? Clearly he's unprofessional and doesn't consider his obligation to the Lakers.
Well said, you're absolutely right.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
This guy would be better served anchoring the second unit behind Gasol, and insert Odom in the staring lineup. Clearly his body seems unable to stand the rigors of a full NBA season, playing starter's minutes. Mind you, that's one hell of a salary for someone to play a reserve role. Still, with the dearth of quality bigmen in the league, the Lakers would be fools to trade him, but I do think he should be deducted some of his salary as a disciplinary measure.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Bynum isn't the first player to delay surgery for personal interest. Shaq once said the reason he postponed surgery during the summer break was because it was on "his time" and waited until it was on "NBA time" to go under the knife even if it meant recovering during basketball season. These kinds of decisions separate the true champions from those unwilling to give it all to their sport. Bynum is immature and sulks when he doesn't get play time yet is so injury-prone to almost be a liability for the Lakers.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Bynum isn't the first player to delay surgery for personal interest. Shaq once said the reason he postponed surgery during the summer break was because it was on "his time" and waited until it was on "NBA time" to go under the knife even if it meant recovering during basketball season. These kinds of decisions separate the true champions from those unwilling to give it all to their sport. Bynum is immature and sulks when he doesn't get play time yet is so injury-prone to almost be a liability for the Lakers.
Quote:
I'd like to adjust my original opinion on this. Yes Bynum's handling of this situation and others are unprofessional. Yes it's poor judgment. I don't disagree with that...

But the idea of trading him is a little much. When he's healthy, he's one of the best in the league and fits pretty well in the starting rotation for the Lakers. It also makes the bench significantly stronger because Odom willingly comes off the bench. They won 2 championships and been to one more in the last few years. So, in my opinion, it's worth it. The key in the quote above is "almost" referring to Bynum being a liability. If Bynum was supposed to be the center-piece and go-to scorer, then I would have a huge problem with it. But the Lakers have had the best team (arguably) over the last several years. Bynum isn't the first or second option and they have a couple big-man combinations with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom that are (obviously) sufficient with Kobe, Fisher, Artest, Phil Jackson, etc. Bynum's behavior isn't exactly the making of a champion, but you'll never find a championship team with 12 Kobe Bryant-type hard working guys.

And he only needs to be healthy for the playoffs...

Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM

369 posts, read 688,631 times
Bynum didn't get the surgery because he knew he could get away with it. Phil Jackson stated that he likes his players expanding there horizons beyond basketball and was not angry at all that he got this surgery after the world cup. I partially agree with him too, LA doesn't need Bynum in the beginning of a long season, they need him healthy at the end to close out the season strong (to get a high seed) and to perform in the playoffs. This puts a lot of pressure on Gasol/Odom's health. Bynum when healthy is a really good big man, but like most of the lakers...is very overpaid. Al Horford does the same thing for about half the price (except he stays healthy).

Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
but like most of the lakers... [Bynum] is very overpaid.
What???

Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM

369 posts, read 688,631 times
Bynum has played 5 seasons and only stayed healthy during 2. He puts up good numbers when he plays. He has yet to show us that he is a dominating big man (at least on a consistent basis). Even when he is healthy, his minutes are usually around 25. He doesn't sound like a $12 million/year player. LA overpays for many of its players, Walton, Vujacic, Bynum, etc. Shannon Brown they got at a nice price this summer.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I'd like to adjust my original opinion on this. Yes Bynum's handling of this situation and others are unprofessional. Yes it's poor judgment. I don't disagree with that...

But the idea of trading him is a little much. When he's healthy, he's one of the best in the league and fits pretty well in the starting rotation for the Lakers. It also makes the bench significantly stronger because Odom willingly comes off the bench. They won 2 championships and been to one more in the last few years. So, in my opinion, it's worth it. The key in the quote above is "almost" referring to Bynum being a liability. If Bynum was supposed to be the center-piece and go-to scorer, then I would have a huge problem with it. But the Lakers have had the best team (arguably) over the last several years. Bynum isn't the first or second option and they have a couple big-man combinations with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom that are (obviously) sufficient with Kobe, Fisher, Artest, Phil Jackson, etc. Bynum's behavior isn't exactly the making of a champion, but you'll never find a championship team with 12 Kobe Bryant-type hard working guys.

And he only needs to be healthy for the playoffs...
Kobe arrives courtside several hours early for both home and away games just so that he has extra time shooting. There certainly aren't that many players who devote so much of their lives to a sport. Bynum is still young and become temperamental but essentially does exactly as coach Jackson directs. Phil did not complain openly about Bynum's decision to postpone his surgery but the Laker's manager did voice concern and local sports writers expressed big dissatisfaction over Bynum. If Andrew stays healthy and plays well right thru the season and hopefully into the playoffs then nobody is going to hold this incident over his head. But Bynum has been plagued with injuries every year and if he is out again for an extended period of time it really doesn't matter if he had surgery early or late. Gasol, Odom and Bynum are the giants that the Lakers depend on to balance out Kobe's talent. Kobe is getting older and also is dealing more and more with injures even though he plays in pain without any complaints. But this season is going to be quite different with Miami and Boston looking invincible. The Laker's have to be at their best and can not afford for a player to be lazy or unfocused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball