Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Sorry, Kobe can't beat Lebron one on one in a '7 game series 1 on 1'. Kobe will be taking long jumpshots cause he won't be able to score down low with Lebron's size and defense. Lebron is also a decent perimeter defender. Also, Lebron just needs to go down low and there is no way Kobe will be able to defend him down there. I will take the higher % shots. On a given day, Kobe might be raining jumpers, but if they played multiple times, Lebron takes it. Keep in mind, that Kobe takes alot of open long range jumpers in a game with Gasol screening for him. If you notice, alot of his game winning shots were with Gasol or some teammate screening for him, thus the defender can't get to him or gets there late. In a 1 on 1, that ain't happening. What i still see is people thinking Lebron is not quick enough. If anyone actually saw Lebron play in person, they would change their tune. He is a locomotive with SIZE. Despite hearing from countless fans that he is overrated, he is definitely not overrated.

I have a feeling when the Heat play the Lakers, you can be sure Lebron is gonna wanna guard Kobe for certain stretches after what he said.

But Lebron doesn't really have a post game. He has not demonstrated that he plays well with his back to the basket. Kobe, on the other hand, has a very reliable fade away jumper.

The issue, I think, is not so much that Lebron is not quick enough to guard Kobe. Instead, I think Kobe may just have too much game for Lebron. Take these two videos for example. You can tell that Kobe is a true student of the game; he has a lot of skill. Lebron in comparison just uses strength and athleticism. I have been beaten one-on-one by smaller guys who were simply just better players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKlrAjZXsw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxxKxtwnao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 02:29 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,688,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But Lebron doesn't really have a post game. He has not demonstrated that he plays well with his back to the basket. Kobe, on the other hand, has a very reliable fade away jumper.

The issue, I think, is not so much that Lebron is not quick enough to guard Kobe. Instead, I think Kobe may just have too much game for Lebron. Take these two videos for example. You can tell that Kobe is a true student of the game; he has a lot of skill. Lebron in comparison just uses strength and athleticism. I have been beaten one-on-one by smaller guys who were simply just better players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKlrAjZXsw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxxKxtwnao
No Lebron does not have a post game, and as the years have gone by, one would think he would have worked on one by now. The thing with Kobe's fadeaway, as good as it is, unless he can consistently goad Lebron into falling for all his double and triple pumping, he's going to have to shoot consistently over Lebron's outstretched. With Kobe not having the lift on his jumpshot that he once had, and Lebron's ability to flat out jump out of the gym, this may prove somewhat a difficult task.

While Kobe is the more skilled and polished, Lebron isn't exactly a scrub skillwise. Sure he's got more holes in his game, but what he can do, he does better than just about anyone in the league, and that's something Kobe can't stop: when Lebron gets a head full of steam and goes to the basket. That's HIS game, as much as it's Kobe's game at this stage to score mainly on range jumpshots. Lebron is one of the great finishers in the game, past and present, and frankly him scoring taking it to the rim is a higher percentage shot than Kobe bombing away from the perimeter, especially if Kobe's having an 'off' day shooting. Let's face it, Kobe is a volume scorer and has never shot over 46%, Lebron is a 49-50% shooter mainly off drives and his jumpshot, while not on Kobe's level, is much improved from 5 years ago. Kobe doesn't bother Lebron's jumpshot like Lebron would bother his, just from an athletic standpoint, so the difference in their jumpshooting balances out somewhat.

Really, it could go either way, but if they played a series of games, you'd have to figure the edge starts going to Lebron: younger, more explosive, slashing-oriented offense and Kobe's shooting will start to falter as time goes on, once the legs go.... and let's face it, Kobe's got ALOT of miles on those legs. Now Kobe from 2006( when he scored 81 points) against today's Lebron.... now that's a different story. He still had the athleticism and speed to vary his offensive attack between slashing and shooting.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
No Lebron does not have a post game, and as the years have gone by, one would think he would have worked on one by now. The thing with Kobe's fadeaway, as good as it is, unless he can consistently goad Lebron into falling for all his double and triple pumping, he's going to have to shoot consistently over Lebron's outstretched. With Kobe not having the lift on his jumpshot that he once had, and Lebron's ability to flat out jump out of the gym, this may prove somewhat a difficult task.

While Kobe is the more skilled and polished, Lebron isn't exactly a scrub skillwise. Sure he's got more holes in his game, but what he can do, he does better than just about anyone in the league, and that's something Kobe can't stop: when Lebron gets a head full of steam and goes to the basket. That's HIS game, as much as it's Kobe's game at this stage to score mainly on range jumpshots. Lebron is one of the great finishers in the game, past and present, and frankly him scoring taking it to the rim is a higher percentage shot than Kobe bombing away from the perimeter, especially if Kobe's having an 'off' day shooting. Let's face it, Kobe is a volume scorer and has never shot over 46%, Lebron is a 49-50% shooter mainly off drives and his jumpshot, while not on Kobe's level, is much improved from 5 years ago. Kobe doesn't bother Lebron's jumpshot like Lebron would bother his, just from an athletic standpoint, so the difference in their jumpshooting balances out somewhat.

Really, it could go either way, but if they played a series of games, you'd have to figure the edge starts going to Lebron: younger, more explosive, slashing-oriented offense and Kobe's shooting will start to falter as time goes on, once the legs go.... and let's face it, Kobe's got ALOT of miles on those legs. Now Kobe from 2006( when he scored 81 points) against today's Lebron.... now that's a different story. He still had the athleticism and speed to vary his offensive attack between slashing and shooting.
These are all good points. I guess the only way we'll know for sure is for the two of them to lace up the sneakers and pick up a ball. They should have a one-on-one tour and play pickup games in a few cities. I know the risk of injury is always great, but it's great in the Olympics too, and they don't even get paid for that. I saw Julius Erving and Kareem play one-on-one during their tour back in the early 90s. It was not an enjoyable occassion. The only action was Kareem consistently blocking the shots of a geriatric Dr. J with arthritis in both knees.

As far as Kobe slowing down, though, I still think his knowledge and skill can overcome his loss of physical attributes. This cat Jordan, for example, is still serving cats at the tender age of 47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCIq7QMdV0c

Jordan is that dude. Lebron couldn't see him in his prime.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

As far as Kobe slowing down, though, I still think his knowledge and skill can overcome his loss of physical attributes.
Absolutely, that's how he's remained a top 3 player, despite the loss of physical advantages he may have enjoyed 5 years ago. He made the necessary changes in his game to remain effective, as Jordan did 15 years ago. Having said that, in a one on one game, physical advantages are key, especially when you have two players on the same level. I just happen to think at this stage in their respective careers, the chances of Lebron bothering Kobe's game from outside and making him take tough shots, is more likely than Kobe slowing down Lebron going to the rim. Kobe can't challenge Lebron physically at this point....

Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,497,169 times
You guys know what these two should do in the offseason next summer.....a show KOBE VS LEBRON 1 ON 1...They should have Shaq as the ref. Maybe those two go at each other on Shaq's reality show! Kobe should take the initiative this summer to ask for a duel. Can you imagine the ratings?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,706,525 times
Basketball is more mental than anything else.

Kobe is still a better defender than Lebron. It does not matter how athletic Lebron is. Kobe is still the best player in the world right now.

Being more athletic does not mean you are better.

You cannot think that Lebron will get to the basketball EVERYTIME against one of the greatest defenders in the game.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM

No-one said being athletic means being better. In a game of one on one, the more skilled player may not necessarily win if their opponent has enough skill, combined with an overwhelming athletic advantage, to make up for any gap in skills. One on one is a different dynamic than playing within the confines of an NBA game. Not to forget that defensively, in a regular game a player has the benefit of being able to defend with the knowledge that your teammates are there to cover any mistakes. There's no such dynamic in a one on one game. Furthermore, Kobe Bryant hasn't often demonstrated that he has the ability to play suffocating defense without it impacting his offense. That to me is the biggest difference with him and Jordan. Particularly given Kobe's wear and tear on his body at this point, he'd have hell to stop Lebron from getting to the rim and finishing. Kobe plays great defense in spurts, particularly now. Playing defense in spurts isn't going to cut it with Lebron James coming at you in a one on one situation.

And I think it's a bit ridiculous to think than Lebron James is only this good because of his athleticism. There are plenty of athletic players in the NBA. Hell, Josh Smith is an athletic freak in his own right. Is he as good as Lebron? No. Sure Lebron has holes in his game, but you don't average 30, 7, and 7 every year just on athletic skills.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,706,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
No-one said being athletic means being better. In a game of one on one, the more skilled player may not necessarily win if their opponent has enough skill, combined with an overwhelming athletic advantage, to make up for any gap in skills. One on one is a different dynamic than playing within the confines of an NBA game. And I think it's a bit ridiculous to think than Lebron James is only this good because of his athleticism. There are plenty of athletic players in the NBA. Hell, Josh Smith is an athletic freak in his own right. Is he as good as Lebron? No. Sure Lebron has holes in his game, but you don't average 30, 7, and 7 every year just on athletic skills.
It can go either way but Lebron is not getting to the basketball 100 percent of the time against kobe.

Against Kobe, Lebron would be forced to make some of his jump shots.

The point is that people on here thinks that Lebron would beat Kobe because of his athletic advantage which is not true.

One on one against Kobe, throw out Lebron's numbers because they won't matter against one of the best defenders in the game.

Keep in mind Kobe has pretty good length and is only an inch shorter than Lebron.

Kobe has more moves than Lebron.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
It can go either way but Lebron is not getting to the basketball 100 percent of the time against kobe.

Against Kobe, Lebron would be forced to make some of his jump shots.

The point is that people on here thinks that Lebron would beat Kobe because of his athletic advantage which is not true.

One on one against Kobe, throw out Lebron's numbers because they won't matter against one of the best defenders in the game.

Keep in mind Kobe has pretty good length and is only an inch shorter than Lebron.

Kobe has more moves than Lebron.
I said before that in a series of one on one games, they'd beat each other. It's ridiculous to think that Kobe would destroy Lebron one on one. Beat? Sure. Destroy? No. Is Lebron capable of beating him? Yes.

Against Lebron, Kobe would have to take difficult jumpshots because Lebron athletically can challenge those jumpshots. Kobe would have to be on that day, and let's be real, we've seen games when Kobe's jumper isn't on. Lebron doesn't have an 'off' day when it comes to finishing at the rim, the guy is one of the great finishers in NBA history.

I mention Lebron's numbers to say he's not merely a product of great athleticism. There's alot of skill and instincts there as well. If not, every super athletic player would be dominant. Hell, James White would be the greatest ever then, if athletic ability= great player. Obviously his numbers play no matter in a one on one, and that's not why I brought them up.

Kobe is 6"6 and 210. Lebron is 6"9 and 250-260.

Having more moves is one thing, but being unstoppable with the moves you DO have is what comes into play in a one on one.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM

^^I think your points about Bron playing the higher percentage game are spot on. However, I'm not sure how often Bron would be able to finish against Kobe. I think it would still be a challenge. We're talking about Kobe Bryant, not Rip Hamilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball