U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 PM

199 posts, read 426,691 times

Advertisements

Many people are already labeling Kevin Durant as the 2nd best Small Forward in the league and a lock for the 2010-2011 MVP.

In my opinion I think that Carmelo Anthony is still miles ahead of Kevin Durant when it comes to scoring. In fact I think that currently there is only one better scorer than Melo and that is Kobe Bryant. Carmelo Anthony has absolutely no weakness when it comes to offense. He can post you up, pull up and slash and is effective in each of those categories. In the other hand, it seems as if Kevin Durant scores mainly of shooting and its not like he creates his own shots. He mostly needs a lot of screens picks and some sort of space to get off a shot which reminds me a lot of Reggie Miller. He is a good slasher but does not have the athleticism and craftiness to make him a top tier slasher.

On defense Kevin Durant takes the nod but I don't think that people realize how much better Carmelo is offensively. They just look at the point per games average and assume that Kevin Durant is automatically the better scorer.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,903,709 times
Overall, KD is already better than Melo.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM

308 posts, read 376,399 times
Melo is definitely a great scorer but I think KD has scary good potential.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM

9,030 posts, read 16,455,999 times
Durant is miles ahead - better shooter, does create his own, can work inside/outside .... better FG %, better 3 pt %, better FT % ... a little ahead in scoring ...... rebounds and turnovers are about the same, anthony is a little better in assists, durant in blocks

durant though is just starting to scratch the surface on what he can do ...... he will be one of the top 5 in the game this year for sure

Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,886,102 times
Not sure about miles ahead. If I had to pick one for a playoff series I'd take Melo at this point. Durant's ceiling is higher though...

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM

369 posts, read 689,459 times
The big concern about Durant is his size. He has got a huge wingspan, but he is really light and can easily be pushed around by bigger small forwards. The fact that other small forwards can physically dominate him leads to me giving the nod to Mello.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,455,999 times
No they can't ....... his length gives teams fits which is why he led the league in FT attempts last year with 840 (24 more than howard, 67 more than lebron and 228 than 6th place carmelo) .......... not a bad position to be in when you are making them at a 90% clip

the guy is far from weak or light out there ...... he's incredibly shifty and uses his body very well

Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,886,102 times
Melo is still the more accomplished performer at this point. I really can't put Durant above him untill I've seen him make a few decent playoff pushes. Mind you, he lost his playoff virginity against the Lakers, no easy feat to be sure. Right now, everyone's high on the guy and quick to put him higher on the list than guys that have been doing this for a few years. He's not better than Kobe, Wade, Lebron, and I'm not ready to put him above Melo yet either. Though, to repeat my first post, he does have a higher ceiling, seems to have the work ethic to continually evolve year after year, and I DO think he will wind up the better player. I think he offers potentially a great counterpoint to Lebron, so it will be interesting to see how he develops...

Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM

369 posts, read 689,459 times
Come on Finger Laker, did you not see the first round of the playoffs. Durant was getting fits from Artest, Durant struggled to get going and Artest was able to use his body to create space (im not saying artest did anything offensively amazing in the series).

Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,371,926 times
Using the arguement "Melo has more success in the playoffs" is a pretty terrible arguement imo. It would be like arguing Robert Horry is > Magic Johnson because Horry has more rings. KD is has a clear statistical edge over Melo, and obviously a higher ceiling to go along with a better year last season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or