U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,915,984 times
Reputation: 1807

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Now this is a far more interesting thread than the OP's question. Is Malone the best ever?

First off I'll dismiss the notion that Duncan isn't a power forward because of his height, unless we want to dismiss guys like Garnett and Nowitzki too. Duncan is a F/C he's proven he can play both positions well so I'm comfortable bringing him into consideration as the best PF ever.
Duncan's resume more or less speaks for itself, especially being the clear-cut catalyst behind 4 championship teams, one of which wasn't especially endowed with stellar talent(2003). Neither Parker or Ginobli were close to their peak, and David Robinson was on his last legs.

For my money, I think Barkley may have been more physically dominant as a scorer and rebounder, certainly not as a defender of course. Mchale's offensive game in the low post was a bit purer, with an assortment of post moves that's only rivaled by Hakeem Olajuwan. Malone's longevity and consistency over 20 years( hell he averaged 20 and 9 at 39 years old) puts him into the equation. But as far as a total package, offensively, defensively, consistency, winning, you'd be hard pressed to say Duncan's isn't the overall best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2010, 12:03 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,790,245 times
Reputation: 4774
I'd agree, mainly in how much Duncan impacted the floor as a true shot blocking threat. He could anchor an interior defense that was always one of the best in the league, something Malone just didn't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
 
52,757 posts, read 42,389,529 times
Reputation: 33052
I'd be hard pressed to pick anyone over Duncan to play the 4 on my all-time greatest squad. Malone would be #2 though.

There is only 1 position in nba history where there is a CLEAR best player and that is at shooting guard.
Every other position is a much closer proposition. (Before anyone says Kobe...we already had a thread on it. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,915,984 times
Reputation: 1807
If I had to pick 5, I'd take Magic, Jordan, Pippen, Duncan, Hakeem. Standout defenders at 4 positions, 2 dominant post scorers( 3 if you include Jordan),two wingmen about as athletic as you need for the break, Magic directing everything as only he can. And Jordan.....nuff said.

I'd put that team against anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,790,245 times
Reputation: 4774
I'd go with Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan, and Hakeem.

Pippen was a better defender but Bird was better at everything else, and when you have defenses collapsing on those great low-post scorers I'd love to have at least one consistently deadly outside shooter in my starting five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,915,984 times
Reputation: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'd go with Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan, and Hakeem.

Pippen was a better defender but Bird was better at everything else, and when you have defenses collapsing on those great low-post scorers I'd love to have at least one consistently deadly outside shooter in my starting five.
The only reason I choose Pippen was for defensive reasons, not because he's better. All 5 are potent scorers to varying degrees, and if you take the prime version of Jordan during his 6 championships, you've got a guy who from the outside will keep the defenses honest enough. Magic later in his career became a good shooter as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
3,441 posts, read 5,038,999 times
Reputation: 2222
Is this a serious question?

The Mailman everytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,790,245 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
All 5 are potent scorers to varying degrees, and if you take the prime version of Jordan during his 6 championships, you've got a guy who from the outside will keep the defenses honest enough. Magic later in his career became a good shooter as well.
I hear you. I'm just going for more balance offensively, you've got these great post-up players in Duncan, Dream, and Magic I'd love to have someone like Bird who's not only one of the best passers in the game but will absolutely kill you if you leave him open on the perimeter to help stretch the defense. When Pippen was put in a role of perimeter player dumping down to big men in Houston he was pretty unhappy about it if I remember correctly.

I don't think you go wrong with either Pippen or Bird at the three with this team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,915,984 times
Reputation: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I hear you. I'm just going for more balance offensively, you've got these great post-up players in Duncan, Dream, and Magic I'd love to have someone like Bird who's not only one of the best passers in the game but will absolutely kill you if you leave him open on the perimeter to help stretch the defense. When Pippen was put in a role of perimeter player dumping down to big men in Houston he was pretty unhappy about it if I remember correctly.

I don't think you go wrong with either Pippen or Bird at the three with this team.
Remember, prime Jordan was one hell of a post player as well, especially the second 3peat version. The thing with Bird is, he'll give you more scoring than Pippen but with Jordan on the team, scoring isn't something you need, not to forget that all the other players are also scorers, well not so much Magic but he can put up points too if he had to. Pippen adds a defensive versatility that you simply don't get with Bird. And let's not forget, Jordan and Pippen obviously know each other well, so chemistry-wise it's a good fit. Agree that either guy in there makes for an all-around dynamic unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,790,245 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The thing with Bird is, he'll give you more scoring than Pippen but with Jordan on the team, scoring isn't something you need, not to forget that all the other players are also scorers
It isn't just the scoring it is where it comes from, the threat of it. Pippen was an okay shooter but he's nothing like Bird, I think Bird fits in better with an offense that has dominant low post scorers.

You might not need scoring but a guy who can nail a three pointer or rotate the ball perfectly is a hell of an asset with Dream or Duncan drawing double teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top