Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Deng or Pierce
Deng 2 50.00%
Pierce 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM

320 posts, read 717,212 times

Advertisements

I know most people will say no. Others will say h#!! no? But consider the numbers Deng has put up this season vs. Pierce. They are very identical.

Loul Deng
Season Team 10-11 CHI
G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
48 48 39.2 0.454 0.353 0.732 1.6 4.6 6.2 2.5 0.8 0.5 2.0 2.1 17.8

Paul Pierce

Season Team 10-11 BOS
G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
48 48 34.4 0.512 0.420 0.850 0.4 4.7 5.0 3.3 1.0 0.6 1.9 2.9 19.1

They're pretty much the same player stat wise. The number of games played are the same. They both can score (Pierce is more efficient), defend/block shots (Deng's better), Rebounds (Deng's has an edge) Assist (Pierce), Minutes (Deng), Field goal percentage (Pierce).

I know people have a problem with Deng's consistency in scoring, but he's not the go-to guy for the Bulls and is overshadowed by Rose and Boozer. Deng is the 3rd scorer for Chicago. Even though Rondo's the best player on the C's, Pierce is still the go-to guy. Deng is a better one on one defender than pierce. In fact, Deng has shown that he can be a lock down defender. He is one of the reasons (along with Brewer and Kurt Thomas) why the bulls are the best defensive team in the league. Therefore, he doesn't have to score all the time to be effective, like Pierce does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pierce is deserving of All-star nods, but people need to start giving him more respect than he's been getting. He's having a phenomenal season and is also All-star worthy.

But enough of what I think. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
how is deng better then pierce on defense when pierce is averaging 1 steal and .6 blocks to dengs .8 steals and .5 blocks? pierce has much better shooting % in every category, and scores about 1 1/2 points more BUT in 5 less minutes per game.

deng is having a nice season but he isnt in the same class as pierce.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
They're pretty much the same player stat wise.
Funny enough, Monta Ellis statistically is very close to Kobe Bryant. No-one would dream of comparing the two, though.

Deng performs as the 3rd wheel on a good, upcoming team. Pierce is a career franchise player who is currently option 1 on a team with 3 other all-stars and serious championship aspirations. Opponents are far more keyed into stopping Pierce than they are Deng. The expectation level on each to perform for their sake of their team's success is not the same, the pressure is not the same.

That being said, no I don't think Deng is a more deserving all-star, if it came down to the two of them.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I've thought Deng has been underrated for awhile now. I thought Noah was the key to the Bulls new great D but when he got hurt, the D remained. I'd say Deng is the best defender on the team now and should be honored for it at the end of the year. He is longer and quicker now then Pierce, so I think he is definately a better defender then Pierce.

Nothing against Paul Pierce, he got shot 8 times and didnt miss a game, the guy is a man's man. But he's on a stacked team, Deng has been part of a new team with injuries yet they still win. So I'd vote for Deng.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Bulls are leading the league in defensive efficency and Deng is a big part of that. Celtics are 2nd (by most metrics) and I don't think Pierce is as big of a part of that at all, as Cs are big and deep. SPG/BPG are not really that great of stats to judge someones defensive contributions, at least not in isolation. I'd also give Deng points for not needing a wheel chair to leave the court after he stubs his toe like PP

Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

But he's on a stacked team, Deng has been part of a new team with injuries yet they still win. So I'd vote for Deng.
Deng is less important to the success of the Bulls than Pierce is to the Celtics. The Bulls could survive for a longer stretch of time with Rose/Boozer/Yoah, than the Celtics would if Pierce, who's their go to player, missed significant time.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Deng is less important to the success of the Bulls than Pierce is to the Celtics. The Bulls could survive for a longer stretch of time with Rose/Boozer/Yoah, than the Celtics would if Pierce, who's their go to player, missed significant time.
That's not true. Deng a huuuuuuuuuuuge part of their offense. If he's not scoring, then the bulls haves some problems. There's not a lot of go-to guys on the Bulls Roster and guys that can create their own shots. After Rose and Boozer, Deng is it. I love Noah, but he's not a go-to guy. Plus, the Bulls aren't very stacked a the PF position, especially since James Johnson decided to go to the D League. Korver is a great shooter, but he's not a scorer. Deng isn't Paul Pierce, but he's one hell of a scorer.

If the bulls want to win a championship, Deng is the key b/c of his defense and offense.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Deng isn't Paul Pierce, but he's one hell of a scorer.
you answered your own question right there. deng isnt pierce because pierce is a much better player. deng is a nice role player but he is not a go to guy. the allstar game is for go to guys and like you said deng is #3 on the bulls list. generally speaking 1st and 2nd guys on a team make it, the bulls would need to be dominating the league for the 3rd person down the line to make the game. look at the spurs, manu, parker, duncan and manu and parker are 1 and 2 on any given night but only manu and duncan got in.

bottom line, pierce, love him or hate him is the 1st option on the best team in the east and 2nd best in the league while deng is 3rd option on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best team in the very weak east. no knock on deng or the bulls but he isnt pierce and they are not the celtics.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Deng isn't Paul Pierce, but he's one hell of a scorer.

If the bulls want to win a championship, Deng is the key b/c of his defense and offense.
You acknowledge that he isn't Pierce, so there's not much more to argue, is there?

Big overstatement there at the end. Deng is the 4th most important player on that team. Pierce is either 1a or 1b, depending on how you rate his importance to a healthy Garnett. Just because stats are similar doesn't mean the two players are that comparable. No-one is catering their defensive gameplan to stopping Deng.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
you answered your own question right there. deng isnt pierce because pierce is a much better player. deng is a nice role player but he is not a go to guy. the allstar game is for go to guys and like you said deng is #3 on the bulls list. generally speaking 1st and 2nd guys on a team make it, the bulls would need to be dominating the league for the 3rd person down the line to make the game. look at the spurs, manu, parker, duncan and manu and parker are 1 and 2 on any given night but only manu and duncan got in.

bottom line, pierce, love him or hate him is the 1st option on the best team in the east and 2nd best in the league while deng is 3rd option on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best team in the very weak east. no knock on deng or the bulls but he isnt pierce and they are not the celtics.

First of all, the east ain't weak this year. The top 5 or 6 teams are capable of making it out of the first round.

It's the west that's weaker this year IMO, despite the fact that they have more stars. Paul Pierce isn't the best player on the teams. Rondo is!! Him and Garnet are tied for second and Allen third. But because Rondo can't shoot a field goal or a free throw, Pierce or Garnett are the go-to guys. If Rondo was more like Rose or Chris Paul then he would be the go-to guy, not Pierce. Deng was never asked to be the go-to guy. That job goes to Rose and Boozer (and Ben Gordon b4 them). Plus, Pierce have the luxury of being on a very deep team. Ray Allen could easily be an Allstar this year. Perkins in back and Shaq will probably be much better off the bench.

Boston is stacked with HOF's, great role players and a future franchise player in Rondo. The Bulls have one legit HOF, a superstar and a bunch of good defensive-minded role players and a really good (sometimes streaky) three-point shooter. Then theirs Deng, who is one of the most versatile players in the league putting up all-star numbers.

I wouldn't be mad if Pierce gets picked over Deng, but I wouldn't be surprised if Deng is picked over Pierce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball