U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 AM

519 posts, read 504,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The Nuggets had Alex English, Dan Issel, Bill Hanzlik, and Dan Issel from what i remember. They were good from what i remember watching them.
What, did Dan Issel have himself cloned?

FWIW, though it may be self-serving, I do happen to agree with LeBron. I mean, do we really need a team in Canada? Does the state of California really need four teams? Trim a little bit of the fat and improve the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 PM

3,268 posts, read 5,790,071 times
Oh, Lebron... this looks BAD:

LeBron James: I never said I advocated contraction - ESPN

Really, really bad... now he claims he didn't even know what the word contraction was, and wasn't insinuating it either. Read the comments on the ESPN page. He's getting hit HARD. This guy needs better people around him - he's made some poor, poor decisions in the past year.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM

10,963 posts, read 8,058,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It seems odd to me that there is such a gap in the NBA be so large given how many great players are on the worst teams: Blake Griffin (Clippers), Tyreke Evans (Kings), Kevin Love (Wolves), last year's Raptors w/ Chris Bosh etc etc. Why can't those teams be at least competitive???
Consider this, in the Western Conference of the NBA for the past 5 years you have six to eight teams that have consistently won 50 or more games a year. In the Eastern Conference you've had about three teams that got about three teams at that level. Your got another 3 or 4 teams get over 40 wins or more a year. SOMEBODY has got to be at the losing end of those games.

Why can't the other teams be competitive?

Bad coaching and executive management. The reality is some teams are not winning organizations in terms of management style and philosophy and some teams have GM's and executives that simply don't know how to pick good coaches or evaluate talent and they put together a team of players instead of players that know how to play as a team. The second issue is MONEY. Some teams simply aren't willing to pay top dollar for top talent. A third is city or market size. Some players are simply not going to be attracted to playing in cities like Memphis, Milwaukee, or Portland no matter how enthusiastic the fan base is.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 AM

10,963 posts, read 8,058,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
What, did Dan Issel have himself cloned?

FWIW, though it may be self-serving, I do happen to agree with LeBron. I mean, do we really need a team in Canada? Does the state of California really need four teams? Trim a little bit of the fat and improve the product.
It's all about REVENUE and televison contracts. LeBron may complain about the number of teams but he directly benefits from the revenue these teams bring in.

As for having a team in Canada, I have no problem with having a team in Toronto it's a world class city with an enthusiastic fan base.

The question that should be asked is "Do we really need a team in MEMPHIS?" I mean really? I can think of several other cities with a better economic base and market size to put an NBA franchise. Kansas City, and Nashville come immediately to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball