U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times

Advertisements

manu is 100% a lock for the HOF, he is not a bubble guy or a "might be" he is 100% getting in. he has ok numbers but he has 3 rings, multiple euro mvps (euroleague and intalian league), a gold medal with olympic mvp, a bronze medal and multiple world tourney championships. and for good measure he has a euroleague slam dunk contest win. this plays to my point that the HOF isnt just for nba superstars and coaches. hell dick vital and Sheryl miller are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM

to date, i would not say melo or amare are in, they have put up some numbers, and might get in later down the road but they still have to do something with their careers. amare isnt on the duncan, garnett level and his numbers are skewed IMO by the PG he played most of his career with, and the system in which he plays that "inflates" the box score.

billups is borderline also IMO but i dont think he gets in based on states alone anyway. he got a ring in the most improbable of ways but maybe as a back door guy as well.

i dont think arenas, carter, or tracy mcbaby get in. hell tracy hasnt even made it out of hte 1st round of the playoffs. he put up some points, made some allstar teams (some thanks to a 7'6" chinaman being his best friend), and the rest of his allstar selections where in a very "talent weak" eastern conference. the competition you are voted against has a lot to do with the fan voting. i dont think carter or tracy have ever been put on as reserves that i can remember.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Carter and Tmac have a career underachiever label attached to their names that will impact voters. They have the numbers, but there's not much substance behind those numbers. I would say Carter would get in before Mcgrady based on 1) Mcgrady having a short prime due to injury, and 2)never going beyond the first round. For my money Tmac was the better player, but Carter overcame some early injury issues to play the last several seasons largely injury-free. Still, there's several guys that are more deserving, and would be more likely to get in. Arenas, no chance. A few good years of high stats but nothing otherwise of significance.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM

51,893 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Carter and Tmac have a career underachiever label attached to their names that will impact voters. They have the numbers, but there's not much substance behind those numbers. I would say Carter would get in before Mcgrady based on 1) Mcgrady having a short prime due to injury, and 2)never going beyond the first round. For my money Tmac was the better player, but Carter overcame some early injury issues to play the last several seasons largely injury-free. Still, there's several guys that are more deserving, and would be more likely to get in. Arenas, no chance. A few good years of high stats but nothing otherwise of significance.
I agree with all of this but please note that that Arenas does have a number of all-nba selections. The gun incident plus other things indeed weaken his chances greatly.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
finally something i whole heartedly agree with. good on ya

Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
to date, i would not say melo or amare are in, they have put up some numbers, and might get in later down the road but they still have to do something with their careers. amare isnt on the duncan, garnett level and his numbers are skewed IMO by the PG he played most of his career with, and the system in which he plays that "inflates" the box score.

billups is borderline also IMO but i dont think he gets in based on states alone anyway. he got a ring in the most improbable of ways but maybe as a back door guy as well.

i dont think arenas, carter, or tracy mcbaby get in. hell tracy hasnt even made it out of hte 1st round of the playoffs. he put up some points, made some allstar teams (some thanks to a 7'6" chinaman being his best friend), and the rest of his allstar selections where in a very "talent weak" eastern conference. the competition you are voted against has a lot to do with the fan voting. i dont think carter or tracy have ever been put on as reserves that i can remember.
1. I agree Ginobli is a pretty safe bet.
2. Agreed about Amares inflated stats but he will still proably amass enough to get in along with his all-nba selections.
3. Billups has the all-nba selections AND a finals MVP...but his career numbers are just not HOF level. I think he is one of the weakest on that list and isn't getting in.
4. I have to disagree about McGrady....he has an eye-popping 7 all-nba team appearances which are not to be confused with all-star game voting. The all-nba team has many of the same voters that get to vote for the HOF. His career numbers could be stronger but I think he gets in.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree with all of this but please note that that Arenas does have a number of all-nba selections. The gun incident plus other things indeed weaken his chances greatly.
04-05, 05-06, and 06-07 are the only truly noteworthy seasons in his career. That was sandwiched between 3 promising early career seasons, and the last 3 where he fell off due to a combination of injury and bone-headedness(the gun incident).There's not enough sustained excellence over many seasons to put him in. And even with those 3 outstanding seasons, his team did nothing of particular note.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM

The problem with Mcgrady, for all his personal achievement( 7 all NBA seasons, 2 scoring titles, high career numbers), he has the perception of being a talented loser. Simply put, the fact that he may have been the most natural scorer since Jordan will be lost on voters who will recall that he's never been out of the first round. That blemish is a big one, and his lasting legacy, because he's past the point now where he can regain his past individual dominance.

Don't get me wrong, Tmac was one hell of a player in his prime, one of my favorites. But the circumstances, in my mind, don't warrant his inclusion because there wasn't enough team success meshed with the individual. Though I suppose one could make the argument that he played on inferior teams before being traded to Houston but still, I don't think that factor will be used as a barometer as to his inclusion in the HOF.

Next up on the agenda: Grant Hill. 7 first years of dominance, all-NBA teams. Never made it out of the first round until last year in Phoenix. BUT, 2 NCAA titles with Duke in which he was a major contributor, and an olympic gold medal. Will he be a sentimental pick? Yes or no?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM

On my last point regarding Tmac, for all purposes Paul Pierce wasn't really considered a 'winner'( or Garnett and Allen for that matter) until the title in 08. Now he's viewed on an entirely different level. It's funny really..... but so much of the voting in my opinion probably comes down to perception.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
On my last point regarding Tmac, for all purposes Paul Pierce wasn't really considered a 'winner'( or Garnett and Allen for that matter) until the title in 08. Now he's viewed on an entirely different level. It's funny really..... but so much of the voting in my opinion probably comes down to perception.
If you haven't opened the link to the all-nba team selections check it out. The names that you see pop up over and over are almost all HOF-ers especially if they are 1st or 2nd team selections.

It has been incredibly predictive if you look at the guys making the all-nba teams back in the 80's\90's and who has gotten in the HOF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball