U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 PM

30,527 posts, read 18,829,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
You all might think I sound crazy, but I think the Lakers should swap with the Suns. I would trade Bynum, Blake, Walton and Arest for Steve Nash, Robin Lopez or Gortat, Dudley and Grant Hill.

I think Nash would be the offensive jolt that the Lakers need. Although, he would take the ball out of Kobe's hands, I think by him controlling the rock he would get everybody more involved in the offense. He lacks defense, but you'll just have to play matchup. Fisher is getting old and maybe better suited coming off the bench. I will still give him minutes, but he might be what the bench needs.

Bynum, when healthy is good, but he's too damn injury prone. Robin Lopez is sort of injury prone, but he's not any more injury prone than most centers seem to be these days. He's also a defensive work in progrees, but he has the size and offensive skills that Bynum has. If you are more concern with his defense then get Gortat instead.

Dudely can bring the energy off the bench. He's a good defender and three point shooter.

Grant Hill can take Artest's spot. Even at 38 he has more skills than Artests, he plays really good D, he plays harder and he makes better decisions with the ball.

I think that the Sun's are ready to part ways with Nash and rebuild. Bynum's has a big contract, but he's still young. The Sun's may not want Walton's contract, but they can trade him in the future. They can get rid of Dudely's contract, which isn't a lot Hill already has an expiring contract. I don't know what they would do with Josh Childress's contract? Does he even play?

I'm not a GM so, don't jump on me!!! You can mix and match the players however you like. Basically, I think the the Lakers need to figure out a way to get Nash and Grant Hill. They're old, but they play hard and can really help the Lakers get that three-peat.
That would be a good deal....for the Lakers. Grossly lopsided comes to mind.

If we are going to engage in wild fantasies about teams taking crappy Laker players with long term contracts in exchange for very good players....why don't they just trade artest and walton for Lebron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,276,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp31 View Post
Matt Barnes is out for a while, Blake sucks, Walton sucks, and Ebanks and Character are good but are rookies. The only ones off the bench that are good are Odom, and Brown. What moves should they make? Maybe another SF? or PF who can stretch the defense.
Can you REALLY think of somebody out there that would be a significant improvement to the current Laker roster? I mean really.

What the Lakers need to do is improve as a team. Starting with playing better defense and working the offense through the low post. There is nothing stopping the Lakers from playing better ball right now except their willingness to steop up and work harder.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,276,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I'd like to see the Lakers get rid of Bynum and Artest, both heavy-legged disappointments. I'd give up both in some deal that brings Carmelo to LA.
Both players are coming off of off-season surgery. Bynum played the entire playoffs last year with a torn meniscus. That's an injury a lot of guys wouldn't play with. Chances the Lakers don't win the NBA title last year without Bynum. He's young he's very athletic for a big man and if he doesn't get hurt again he's got a pretty big upside.

On the other hand Artest may be getting to the point in his career where his skills are diminishing.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
JL

6,363 posts, read 6,897,091 times
For the Laker fans, here is a trade that is reasonable and will work to get Melo. I like using ESPN trade machine to see if the salaries will work out.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
For the Laker fans, here is a trade that is reasonable and will work to get Melo. I like using ESPN trade machine to see if the salaries will work out.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
I cannot access it. Why do I get the feeling that your opinion of "reasonable" might vary from what Denvers is.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,020,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
bynum/odom for melo/birdman. hmmmm on the fence.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM

3,534 posts, read 1,918,504 times
Lakers lose alot of size with that trade. Plus, there's also the dynamic of whether Melo is 1) a good fit for the Lakers Triangle and 2) a good fit with Kobe. There was alot of talk earlier about whether Wade and Lebron can coexist, who's to say Melo/Kobe is any better? Kobe has never played with another elite perimeter player before, the question is do they compliment each other or get in each other's way?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Lakers lose alot of size with that trade. Plus, there's also the dynamic of whether Melo is 1) a good fit for the Lakers Triangle and 2) a good fit with Kobe. There was alot of talk earlier about whether Wade and Lebron can coexist, who's to say Melo/Kobe is any better? Kobe has never played with another elite perimeter player before, the question is do they compliment each other or get in each other's way?
Ah, IDK...this could actually work in that Melo, Kobe and Gasol can cover the scoring and Birdman can just focus on Def. and rebounding.

You then put Fish on the bench and play "big ball" with artest-kobe-melo like the Bulls used to do. Yeah, someone like tony parker is going to scorch you but on the other end you post up his butt and make them pay.

The problem is would be:
1) Denver trading to a rival?
2) Can bynum pass the physical
3) Denver already has a good center and I'm not sure where they fit odom and Bynum in.

It still doesn't address the big problem and that is Artest, Fisher and Walton. So in that regard the move seems lateral.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM

3,534 posts, read 1,918,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah, IDK...this could actually work in that Melo, Kobe and Gasol can cover the scoring and Birdman can just focus on Def. and rebounding.
In theory there's plenty of scoring but that's not where the Lakers issues lie. It's on the defensive side of the ball where they have problems. Needed moreso than a replacement for Bynum is an upgrade at the point guard spot. This doesn't address that,and frankly while I like Birdman, he's not going to be a difference maker in a hypothetical matchup with the Celtics like a healthy Bynum.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
In theory there's plenty of scoring but that's not where the Lakers issues lie. It's on the defensive side of the ball where they have problems. Needed moreso than a replacement for Bynum is an upgrade at the point guard spot. This doesn't address that,and frankly while I like Birdman, he's not going to be a difference maker in a hypothetical matchup with the Celtics like a healthy Bynum.
I hear you but Birdman wouldn't need to be the difference maker.

As it stands (and I doubt the Lakers will even have to worry about facing the Celtics this year) you have Fisher guarding someone like Rondo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball