U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 AM
 
52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Reputation: 32462

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Uhhh, Lakers just beat the Celtics in Boston.

For the past two seasons in this forum, I hear the same crap about how the Lakers are in trouble, yet they still win championships.
Some of us have been following the NBA for more than 2 seasons....and as defending champions I always give that team their due with the exception of injuries. (and the Lakers aren't really looking "championship calibre" this season.)

The Lakers got some good minutes out of Bynum last night and if he is able to play like that throughout the playoffs logging heavy minutes then they are in decent shape. However, they are going to have a dog-fight just getting to the finals so all of this is moot.

The last 4 finals went to the team that was healthy at the end. I've yet to see a finals between the Lakers and Celts where both teams were at their best.

Heck, look at 2 years ago...the Lakers didn't even have to play the defending champ Celtics because injuries ravaged them and so they got to play a very inexperienced Orlando.

The Lakers' current win % is in-line with 2 of their last 3 seasons...so let's just kick back and see how healthy they are for the finals run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,883,256 times
Reputation: 1802
Of course, the fact that Boston just beat the Lakers in LA the other day is neither here or there.... too funny. Obviously these two teams are about as evenly matched as you can get, so any matchup between the two of them will go to who's healthier and who has homecourt.

Is it me, or is Kobe really struggling nowadays to blow past defenders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
i think kobes knee surgery took some of that away from him. he is doing other things now, worked on his outside shot a bit more to balance the loss of drive regardless of how much that loss may be.
he has had some nagging stuff in the recent past to today but he plays through it well. the next 3 years will be interesting to see just how much he declines.

on a side note, jordan played some full court 5 v 5 at the bobcats practice the other day and gerald wallace was saying his shot is ridiculous even if he isnt as quick or cant blow by you he can still shoot right in your eye. and jordan is what 48 or something. makes you wonder if a 48 year old jordan could actually get in a game in a mike finley type roll. you know off the bench for 15 minutes a game to spell other guys and make shots. plus i bet he could light up on some nights.

ok back to the LA kobes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,883,256 times
Reputation: 1802
I noted a few occasions last night where Kobe got called for traveling because he overfaked and wound up shuffling his feet. He's having to pump fake more and more now because he doesn't have the explosion to just rise over the defender anymore. 5 years ago he would have just gone over you... happens to the best of em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
 
52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Reputation: 32462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Of course, the fact that Boston just beat the Lakers in LA the other day is neither here or there.... too funny. Obviously these two teams are about as evenly matched as you can get, so any matchup between the two of them will go to who's healthier and who has homecourt.

Is it me, or is Kobe really struggling nowadays to blow past defenders?
Yeah, personally I think Lakers fans that get to exuberant over this victory are just letting off some steam in relief. I think it shows that deep down they see this team is not playing to it's full potential and they have to wonder if they are going to be able to deal with a healthy Spurs squad for the first time in several years.

Let's face it, the Lakers are really good (duh) but they've gotten a bit of a pass the last 2 years in that injuries have made their path to the championship a whole lot smoother. This year they are the ones suffering through some injuries\decline and their main rivals look to be possibly better off on that front.

Obviously, at any given moment they could lose Kobe or Gasol for the season or Ginobli, Duncan, Pierce etc etc etc. so it's still anybodys guess as to what the squads will look like in a couple more months. (Plus the trade deadline hasn't passed....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
 
52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Reputation: 32462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i think kobes knee surgery took some of that away from him. he is doing other things now, worked on his outside shot a bit more to balance the loss of drive regardless of how much that loss may be.
he has had some nagging stuff in the recent past to today but he plays through it well. the next 3 years will be interesting to see just how much he declines.

on a side note, jordan played some full court 5 v 5 at the bobcats practice the other day and gerald wallace was saying his shot is ridiculous even if he isnt as quick or cant blow by you he can still shoot right in your eye. and jordan is what 48 or something. makes you wonder if a 48 year old jordan could actually get in a game in a mike finley type roll. you know off the bench for 15 minutes a game to spell other guys and make shots. plus i bet he could light up on some nights.

ok back to the LA kobes.
5-6 minutes a night bring him in as a pure shooter to keep defenders honest.
Kinda like a Steve Kerr.

Heh, I'd love to see Reggie Miller back playing in a 4-5 minute a night Steve Kerr or Robert Horry role. You absolutely could not cheat off of Jordan or Miller...they'd stick the dagger in you pull it out and stick it in again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,894,302 times
Reputation: 7198
Kobe shouldn't be playing more than 30 minutes a game to rest come playoff time, but he is logging in some serious minutes recently. Gotta wonder about Jackson's decision to play him so many minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
i agree, i find it interesting kobe is averaging 39:47 minutes in his 5 games in february. his minutes have been relatively low all season but the stretch is coming and the season is getting a whole lot harder for them. i think PJ is gonna have to play kobe a lot more minutes from here on out because of the tougher schedule just to keep out of a lower seed. they are only 3 games over the thunder for 4th and the thunder have an easier road ahead with only 12 games against +.500 teams to the lakers 19 games against +.500 teams.

on another side note, houston has 12 games left against +.500 teams and portland has 18, suns 18, and griz 17. the rockets are 4 games back of the blazers and are healthy (yao excluded) while portland isnt. houston has a real chance of making the playoffs. i would have to pick up my rockets season tickets again just to see the 1st round matchup with the spurs in that case.

back to the lakers. i think PJ wants to keep the lakers out of the 4 spot real bad. he doesnt want to see the spurs in the 2nd round or the hornets in the 1st for that mater. while the hornets are not winning that series, they will surely beat up the lakers (especially the bigs and the PGs) before they face the spurs. the other option is an easier road against either denver or utah both with "issues" (who knows who will be around come playoff time) but i suspect they would rather have the jazz over the nuggets if things stay status quo. then the get the mavs in the 2nd round which again will be tough, tougher then the hornets and much more physical. then if all things go the right way lakers spurs in the wcf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,883,256 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, personally I think Lakers fans that get to exuberant over this victory are just letting off some steam in relief. I think it shows that deep down they see this team is not playing to it's full potential and they have to wonder if they are going to be able to deal with a healthy Spurs squad for the first time in several years.

Let's face it, the Lakers are really good (duh) but they've gotten a bit of a pass the last 2 years in that injuries have made their path to the championship a whole lot smoother. This year they are the ones suffering through some injuries\decline and their main rivals look to be possibly better off on that front.

Obviously, at any given moment they could lose Kobe or Gasol for the season or Ginobli, Duncan, Pierce etc etc etc. so it's still anybodys guess as to what the squads will look like in a couple more months. (Plus the trade deadline hasn't passed....)
Thing with the Lakers, as I posted a little while ago, they have a hellacious final 2 months of the season. They're going to need Kobe logging heavier minutes than he should, to keep pace and secure home court. They do not want to play either the Spurs or the Celtics on the road. I happen to think they'll have a slightly easier time with the Spurs, if only because the Lakers have a size advantage. Duncan will need to produce as he has in the past, whether he can will be seen come playoff time. But San Antonio presents three vital components in a series against the Lakers:

1) A speedy, penetrating point guard

2) A shooting guard that Kobe actually has to guard.

3) A coach capable of matching x's and o's with Jackson in a playoff series.

The Celtics present the most well-rounded opposition, well coached, a tough as nails defensive philosophy, perimeter players that Kobe has to guard( of course the reverse is also true, the difference is Kobe carries a higher burden to score big than Pierce or Allen), and enough bigs to neutralize the Lakers. Of course all of this depends on the health of each team, which isn't a given when you're talking veteran ballclubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,883,256 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree, i find it interesting kobe is averaging 39:47 minutes in his 5 games in february. his minutes have been relatively low all season but the stretch is coming and the season is getting a whole lot harder for them. i think PJ is gonna have to play kobe a lot more minutes from here on out because of the tougher schedule just to keep out of a lower seed. they are only 3 games over the thunder for 4th and the thunder have an easier road ahead with only 12 games against +.500 teams to the lakers 19 games against +.500 teams.
I posted the following schedule a few weeks ago( results so far in bold):

Feb 3rd: home vs Spurs loss
Feb 5th: away vs Hornets win
Feb 10th: away vs Celtics win
Feb 11th: away vs Knicks
Feb 13th: away vs Orlando
Feb 23rd: away vs Portland
Feb 27th: away vs Thunder
Mar 6th: away vs Spurs
Mar 10th: away vs Heat
Mar 12th: away vs Mavericks
Mar 14th: home vs Magic
Mar 20th: home vs Portland
Mar 27th: home vs Hornets
Mar 31st: home vs Mavericks
Apr 1st: away vs Jazz
Apr 3rd: home vs Nuggets
Apr 5th: home vs Jazz
Apr 8th: away vs Trailblazers
Apr 10th: home vs Thunder
Apr 12th: home vs Spurs


They're going to need Kobe logging heavy minutes to secure some kind of HCA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top