U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
dont look now but the cavs just beat the lakers.
pau played 41 minutes, and had 30-20, and kobe shot 8-24 and the lakers lose.
In looking at the box score....the first thing I always look at is the FG% since you can tell the winner of a game 9 times out of 10 by only comparing that number.

Lakers = 42.5, Cleve = 47.1

Yes, Kobe had a cold shooting night but that's not what grabs my attention.

The Lakers let the Cleveland guards shoot 22/42 from the field which is where they lost the game.

No defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,721,745 times
****...dump alot of money and some future trade picks and make a run for Carmelo!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
****...dump alot of money and some future trade picks and make a run for Carmelo!!!
As long as we are dreaming why not offer the Nuggets owner an unprotected 3-way with Jack Nicholson and Magic Johnson, a buy-1-get one free coupon to Chilli's and a handful of tater tots in exchange for Carmelo.

In all seriousness the Lakers have 2 guys eating up a good bit of cap space that are UNTRADEABLE. But don't worry, their contracts will be gone in 2-3 years....

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
its funny because the lakers aresaying on one hand they are not going to do anything as far as trades go....

Quote:
General manager Mitch Kupchak recently said he'd make a trade if it improved the Lakers, despite the team having the highest payroll ($90.3 million) in the NBA and owing about $20 million in luxury tax after the season. Kupchak was asked about the possibility of making a trade by the Feb. 24 deadline on Thursday and said it probably would not happen.

"I think it's unlikely," Kupchak told the media, including ESPN Los Angeles. "But there's eight days to go. All of the general managers are here in Los Angeles this weekend, and there will be a lot of yapping. There will be a lot of guys moving off to the side, and there will be a lot of phone calls. ... I stand by what I said, that it's unlikely, but I don't think any general manager can stand here and say there will be absolutely no changes in eight days, in particular at this time of year."

Kupchak's biggest issue is the lack of talent he has to offer another team. Ron Artest and Luke Walton are untradeable because of their contracts. Derek Fisher and Joe Smith are too old for most teams. Rookies Derrick Caracter and Devin Ebanks have no value and Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff are injured.

Kupchak, if he does make a move, will look at the waiver as we get closer to March 1. All players on NBA rosters need to be waived by that day to be eligible for the playoffs. Every year veterans on bad teams agree to buyouts as a way to sign with playoff teams and the Lakers will certainly be in the hunt for most of them once they become free agents.
but then in another post, ratliff is likely done fo the season and the lakers may be looking for a low price big to fill the bench in ratliffs spot.

hmmm 8 days left is going to be interesting.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
I still say we are fine.... Just BORED out of our minds. That's still not good as no team should be bored enough to lose to the Cavs.

But we'll pull it together.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I still say we are fine.... Just BORED out of our minds. That's still not good as no team should be bored enough to lose to the Cavs.

But we'll pull it together.
You know the Celtics won a couple years ago and the next year in the finals the Lakers ran into.....Orlando instead.

Do you know why the Celtics weren't back in the finals that year?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,721,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As long as we are dreaming why not offer the Nuggets owner an unprotected 3-way with Jack Nicholson and Magic Johnson, a buy-1-get one free coupon to Chilli's and a handful of tater tots in exchange for Carmelo.

In all seriousness the Lakers have 2 guys eating up a good bit of cap space that are UNTRADEABLE. But don't worry, their contracts will be gone in 2-3 years....
I'm bein serious!! If Melo wants out and wants a ring as bad as the Lakers office does, then make a move. Hell I'd drop Artest, Bynum and 2 mill for Melo. Be a doer not a sayer Lakers.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,143 times
I would pick up Carmello and Chauncey Billups.........Or shop around for another couple of free agents that can produce in crunch time. Chauncey Billups is a former NBA Finals MVP and NBA Champion

Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
I'm bein serious!! If Melo wants out and wants a ring as bad as the Lakers office does, then make a move. Hell I'd drop Artest, Bynum and 2 mill for Melo. Be a doer not a sayer Lakers.
You seem to be forgetting Denver in the equation which is the whole point.

It's like me saying I will give you a dog turd for a ferrari. Of course the deal looks pretty good from MY point of view.

There is only one "3rd rail" in the NBA and that is having a grossly over-paid player on a longterm contract. Those guys are largely untradeable and the Lakers have 2 guys like that.

They aren't making moves because they CAN'T.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the prophet View Post
I would pick up Carmello and Chauncey Billups.........Or shop around for another couple of free agents that can produce in crunch time. Chauncey Billups is a former NBA Finals MVP and NBA Champion
There are some people that say the Lakers' have the biggest collection of bandwagon fans that really know nothing about the NBA and things like the salary cap etc etc.

Of course that's crazy talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or