U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: California
2,015 posts, read 2,015,753 times
Reputation: 1776

Advertisements

I don't think the Lakers will make any moves this year. But I do think for them to improve, I would bench Artest and start Odom, bench Fisher and start Shannon Brown, that would make them more athletic.

Next year they should cut Walton, Artest and Fisher might think about retiring. I think Fisher is a class act and very intelligent, but his time has come and gone. Laker should hire him as an asst. to Kupchak and eventually replace him sometime down the road. Artest has just not adapted to the triangle, I don't think he ever will, he looks lost in the triangle offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I don't think the Lakers will make any moves this year. But I do think for them to improve, I would bench Artest and start Odom, bench Fisher and start Shannon Brown, that would make them more athletic.

.
if you did this, the lakers would lose all of their bench, the starters would be playing 40+ a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
 
52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Reputation: 32463
Wow. I pulled up the Lakers schedule and started looking for quality wins.....they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN.

Basically, they are beating the medicore teams but against the better teams they've been getting the short end of the stick with a lot of bad losses and few wins.

I think I was wrong before in saying the Lakers were coasting and weren't in trouble.

Thier next 11 games finally show them hitting a tougher stretch in their schedule with at least 7 of those teams being good. Curious how they respond to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
the lakers have had the easiest schedule of any team in the league, and up until recently it was not even close. their strength of schedule is like .454 now but was as low as below .400 for a good part of the season. they have 19 home and 19 away before the game tonight, and 25 games against teams over .500 left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,415,713 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
just one note, the lakers did not trade ariza for artest, the lakers didnt want to pay ariza what he thought he was worth, and to be honest i wouldnt either as ariza isnt worth what he is making now and he wanted more.

artest is getting by on reputation alone, he isnt a top tier defender, while he might have been at one time, i think he was just decent not top level. i think bruce bowen was better but artest was/is more "in your face" with it.

the lakers would surely be better off with ariza and would have won last year with him over ron just the same.

what the lakers need is a PG with some speed, their 2 PGs are a joke really. they get burned and cant do any burning on their own. i dont see any trades coming for them i think they are "stuck" with what they got.
6 in one hand... a half-dozen in the other.

from now on I'll say... we shouldn't have gotten rid of Ariza to sign Artest

You better believe that Morey and Kupchak spoke to each other so for all intents and purposes it was a trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM
 
80 posts, read 231,806 times
Reputation: 48
Lakers don't need to trade anyone . Lakers has the 3rd Best RECORD IN THE LEAGUE . Not broke, Don't fix it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
3,441 posts, read 5,006,634 times
Reputation: 2222
The Lakers are 32-13 and that's all that matters.

For those of you saying how the Lakers are beating mediocre teams, they are still beating PROFESSIONAL teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapking of boston View Post
Lakers don't need to trade anyone . Lakers has the 3rd Best RECORD IN THE LEAGUE . Not broke, Don't fix it .
lakers will be playing a MUCH harder schedule in the 2nd half as well.
the corpse of derek fisher is their biggest issue and steve blake is not the answer, as he is actually worse then fisher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
6 in one hand... a half-dozen in the other.

from now on I'll say... we shouldn't have gotten rid of Ariza to sign Artest

You better believe that Morey and Kupchak spoke to each other so for all intents and purposes it was a trade.
artest decided to go to LA after the lakers beat the rockets in the playoffs the year before he signed with them. he is noted as telling kobe immediately after the last game of the series that "i will be a laker next year", so the GMs didnt talk about anything, both players where pure free agents. the lakers could have actually had artest AND ariza which would have made them ridiculously good but ariza wanted to much money and the rockets, how have had a recent history of over paying players (ariza, scola, LOWRY) where more then willing to bite on his price because they watched him play one good playoff series. i am a big fan of morey but he got fooled by ariza and got rid of him as soon as he could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
JL
 
7,355 posts, read 11,894,302 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
artest decided to go to LA after the lakers beat the rockets in the playoffs the year before he signed with them. he is noted as telling kobe immediately after the last game of the series that "i will be a laker next year", so the GMs didnt talk about anything, both players where pure free agents. the lakers could have actually had artest AND ariza which would have made them ridiculously good but ariza wanted to much money and the rockets, how have had a recent history of over paying players (ariza, scola, LOWRY) where more then willing to bite on his price because they watched him play one good playoff series. i am a big fan of morey but he got fooled by ariza and got rid of him as soon as he could.
Scola and Lowry are not overpaid. Scola is a baller and so is Lowry. Ariza was overpaid and the Rockets got Courtney Lee who is a better two way player than Ariza in that trade. Lee is not getting enough minutes due to a logjam that the Rockets have on their roster. He shoots like 44% from 3pt land though he has been in a slump recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top