U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,193,004 times

Advertisements

Lowry is completely over paid when you consider when Brooks is 100% Lowry is a back up and making much more. The rockets are going to either over pay for Brooks or lose him and I expect lose him. Honestly I could see Brooks signing with la when he leaves.

Scola is playing well now but he is on the wrong side of 30 and has what 4 years left on a back loaded contract. He isn't worth 10m a season and definitely nit that much at 35 yrs old when his contract is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Lowry is completely over paid when you consider when Brooks is 100% Lowry is a back up and making much more. The rockets are going to either over pay for Brooks or lose him and I expect lose him. Honestly I could see Brooks signing with la when he leaves.

Scola is playing well now but he is on the wrong side of 30 and has what 4 years left on a back loaded contract. He isn't worth 10m a season and definitely nit that much at 35 yrs old when his contract is up.
Lowry is gonna be the starter. Brooks will eventually get traded since he will be a free agent this summer. Brooks can only shoot and does nothing else. He is not a playmaker like Lowry. Can't get other teammates involved. Brooks can't play any D either. Rockets are looking to trade him before the deadline.

Scola's last year is not fully guaranteed and he is earning 9 mil, but he is worth it. He is not slowing down at all and is an iron man. He doesn't get injured. This will be his last contract. The guy is averaging like almost 20pts per game and 9 rebounds/game. He can post out bigger players on the inside and he can hit the 15-18ft jumper consistently. There are teams out there wanting him right now in a trade, but the Rockets won't trade him as of now.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Ron Artest plays nothing like he did when he was a Pacer which would make the Lakers much better if he did

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM

51,874 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The Lakers are 32-13 and that's all that matters.

For those of you saying how the Lakers are beating mediocre teams, they are still beating PROFESSIONAL teams.
Actually no, that doesn't matter at all for a defending NBA champ. A decent record and making the playoffs are ASSUMED.

It doesn't matter that they are scrub-busting, it does matter that they are losing to the better teams.

I mean seriously, if you are a Laker fan and your goal for this season isn't a championship I can't get my brain around that. That they are playing good but not championship level ball *should* be a serious concern.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM

51,874 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Ron Artest plays nothing like he did when he was a Pacer which would make the Lakers much better if he did
They'd never have gotten him so easily if he was at that old level. He was getting some level of MVP consideration at times back then.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Lowry is gonna be the starter. Brooks will eventually get traded since he will be a free agent this summer. Brooks can only shoot and does nothing else. He is not a playmaker like Lowry. Can't get other teammates involved. Brooks can't play any D either. Rockets are looking to trade him before the deadline.

Scola's last year is not fully guaranteed and he is earning 9 mil, but he is worth it. He is not slowing down at all and is an iron man. He doesn't get injured. This will be his last contract. The guy is averaging like almost 20pts per game and 9 rebounds/game. He can post out bigger players on the inside and he can hit the 15-18ft jumper consistently. There are teams out there wanting him right now in a trade, but the Rockets won't trade him as of now.
teams have asked about brooks but the rockets have said no because they want to much for him. also brooks has a qualifying offer for 2.9m next year and is not a free agent UNLESS the rockets decide not to offer it or he decides not to accept it. he is not happy so it is expected he will not accept it. he isnt happy for 2 reasons, they will not talk extension until the summer, (while talking possible extension with yao even after his latest foot problem) and the fact that he will potentially only make 2.9m while lowry (who is expected to move back to the bench in the next month from every report i have read) is making almost 6m. i could see brooks getting moved, i hope martin gets moved, and i dont see scola going anywhere.

scola is making about 8m this year, but in 2014/15 he is 11m which as far as i can find is fully guaranteed. even if its not, in 2013/14 he isnt worth 10.2m his contract is back loaded and at his age it is just not a good deal. the rockets need to think about blowing up the roster as it is mediocre with the talent they have, UNLESS yao came back 100% and yao of 2005/06 and then they would be west semifinalists, maybe finals depending on who they play but never true contenders.

now thats enough laker highjacking from me.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,001,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually no, that doesn't matter at all for a defending NBA champ. A decent record and making the playoffs are ASSUMED.

It doesn't matter that they are scrub-busting, it does matter that they are losing to the better teams.

I mean seriously, if you are a Laker fan and your goal for this season isn't a championship I can't get my brain around that. That they are playing good but not championship level ball *should* be a serious concern.
The NBA Finals aren't here yet. Still no need to panic right now.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
artest decided to go to LA after the lakers beat the rockets in the playoffs the year before he signed with them. he is noted as telling kobe immediately after the last game of the series that "i will be a laker next year", so the GMs didnt talk about anything, both players where pure free agents. the lakers could have actually had artest AND ariza

keep drinking the kool-aid... I cant talk to someone who actually believes the GM's didnt talk.

This conversation is going in circles. So back to the subject of the OP...

We'll be fine. We made our bed and now we have to lay in it. We chose the now vs long term with the Artest "signing". Kobe will have to just muscle up and bring it home during the playoffs. I think he will... Go Lakers!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
keep drinking the kool-aid... I cant talk to someone who actually believes the GM's didnt talk.

We'll be fine. We made our bed and now we have to lay in it. We chose the now vs long term with the Artest "signing". Kobe will have to just muscle up and bring it home during the playoffs. I think he will... Go Lakers!!!
I've seen Bryant and the Lakers play a few times this year and I've drawn this informal conclusion. The old model of the Lakers falling behind teams and expecting Bryant to save their lot in the end is very near becoming obsolete.

Sure he's done that this season but it's usually been against lousy teams and it's happening less frequently. The heavy duty schedule against +.500 teams in the second half of the year will be the demise of the Lakers as far as being the dominant force in the West and will allow the Spurs to run away with the number one seed and hca throughout.

That, in the end, will serve as the final nail in the coffin of this year's Laker bunch. IMO.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

LMAO
koolaid? WTF!!!!????
there where no "trade talks" sure the GMs talk, they all do but if you honestly believe the lakers and rockets talked about trading ariza for artest then you are just misinformed. ariza spent months arguing with the lakers over $$$$ artest was down before he was even a free agent (which due to his conversations with kobe can be made out as collusion, similar to wade talking to lebron has had that very accusation) now maybe the lakers asked the rockets if artest still had anything left but thats about it. there where no trade talks. as a mater of fact, artest agreed to terms well before ariza did (nearly a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or