U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
 
51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Reputation: 32398

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The NBA Finals aren't here yet. Still no need to panic right now.
Agreed and they ARE coasting Kobe's minutes which are way down from last year. As addressed earier, Phil Jackson is a master at "coasting" a team for a strong play-off run.

We will see whom is heathly at year end.

Injuries have been the deciding factor in many of the championships over the past 4-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I've seen Bryant and the Lakers play a few times this year and I've drawn this informal conclusion. The old model of the Lakers falling behind teams and expecting Bryant to save their lot in the end is very near becoming obsolete.

Sure he's done that this season but it's usually been against lousy teams and it's happening less frequently. The heavy duty schedule against +.500 teams in the second half of the year will be the demise of the Lakers as far as being the dominant force in the West and will allow the Spurs to run away with the number one seed and hca throughout.

That, in the end, will serve as the final nail in the coffin of this year's Laker bunch. IMO.

I'm not talking about Kobe winning games in the final moments... I just meant overall in the playoffs. Kobe will uplift the Lakers to the next level in playoff time as he always does. We will win this year... It may be Kobe's last but we will win. guaranteed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
LMAO
koolaid? WTF!!!!????
there where no "trade talks" sure the GMs talk, they all do but if you honestly believe the lakers and rockets talked about trading ariza for artest then you are just misinformed. ariza spent months arguing with the lakers over $$$$ artest was down before he was even a free agent (which due to his conversations with kobe can be made out as collusion, similar to wade talking to lebron has had that very accusation) now maybe the lakers asked the rockets if artest still had anything left but thats about it. there where no trade talks. as a mater of fact, artest agreed to terms well before ariza did (nearly a month).


And What are u even talking about?

I didnt say they talked about a trade... and your information is wrong, both deals were done within 24 hours of each other!!!

Regardless, You're on a tagent.

The crux of the matter is... We should have Ariza instead of Artest!!! If we did we would be looking at 2-3 more championships. Instead of worried bout this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,308,445 times
Reputation: 1588
Lakers are looking good right now. The only changes they need are mental ones.

Shame they have 70 win talent. That is why Mike's Bulls were so amazing at 72-10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Lakers are looking good right now. The only changes they need are mental ones.

Shame they have 70 win talent. That is why Mike's Bulls were so amazing at 72-10.

I think the only reason Mike's team won 72 was because it was the first full season after his 1st retirement... He was SUPER hungry and motivated that ENTIRE year. The other seasons he "coasted" through just to get to the playoffs. The Lakers are doing the same.... It's hard to get motivated for a 82 game season... period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think the only reason Mike's team won 72 was because it was the first full season after his 1st retirement... He was SUPER hungry and motivated that ENTIRE year. The other seasons he "coasted" through just to get to the playoffs. The Lakers are doing the same.... It's hard to get motivated for a 82 game season... period.
The year after the 72 win season, they won 69 games. The final year for Jordan's Bulls, they won 62 games, with Pippen missing 38 games. It's not inconceivable that they could have matched or even exceeded the 72 win total. I'd hardly call that coasting, for either Jordan or the Bulls. Because surely, if Jordan of all people was coasting the Bulls would have followed his lead.

Last edited by Roman77; 01-26-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Not to mention he won the MVP in 98, not really sure if you can do that while "coasting." The year they won 69 games they also lost their final two, so 70 was certainly right there for the taking, its not like they had to have a winning streak to close the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The year after the 72 win season, they won 69 games. The final year for Jordan's Bulls, they won 62 games, with Pippen missing 38 games. It's not inconceivable that they could have matched or even exceeded the 72 win total. I'd hardly call that coasting, for either Jordan or the Bulls. Because surely, if Jordan of all people was coasting the Bulls would have followed his lead.

dude... I didnt say they stopped playing. The 2nd Three-Peat Bulls are one of the 3 BEST teams to EVER play in the NBA. "Coast" doesnt mean that they loafed. I never said it was inconceivable either. My point was just that Jordan played harder all year vs other years. Even The 72 win season had some coasting moments. hell, it's possible Jordan could have won 80 games in a season. But we are not talking about possiblities.

So winning 69 and 62 was certainly coasting for them...

What's your point anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
dude... I didnt say they stopped playing. The 2nd Three-Peat Bulls are one of the 3 BEST teams to EVER play in the NBA. "Coast" doesnt mean that they loafed. I never said it was inconceivable either. My point was just that Jordan played harder all year vs other years. Even The 72 win season had some coasting moments. hell, it's possible Jordan could have won 80 games in a season. But we are not talking about possiblities.

So winning 69 and 62 was certainly coasting for them...

What's your point anyway?
I didn't say that you said they stopped playing. What exactly, in your opinion, does coast mean in a Basketball sense? And really, how can you say that Jordan coasted 'more' the years after the 72 win season? His stats were all basically consistent with the 72 win year, so I'm not sure by what standard you're suggesting he was coasting. Everything he did the next two seasons was well in line with prior performances, and you have to take into account that the guy was in his mid 30's. It was pretty damn remarkable to be playing at that level at 35 years old. In fact, the entire team was old by NBA standards. Ron Harper, 34. Pippen, 33. Kerr, 33. Kukoc, 30. Rodman, 36. I saw plenty of that team during that 2nd 3peat, and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw them half-assing it, or coasting( whatever you happen to define that term as).

No need to go there with the 'what's your point' line. My point was to offer a response to a comment I didn't agree with, and I responded respectfully. Is there a problem on your end with that? In fact, one can just as easily ask the question of what your point is. The poster you were responding to wrote essentially a throwaway line about the 72 win Bulls, and that prompted you to respond as you did. Which, consequently, prompted my response to you. That tends to happen on message boards in my experience.

Last edited by Roman77; 01-26-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Not to mention he won the MVP in 98, not really sure if you can do that while "coasting." The year they won 69 games they also lost their final two, so 70 was certainly right there for the taking, its not like they had to have a winning streak to close the year.
Bingo.Not sure where 'coasting' comes into play with this team, with 69 and 62 wins, the last of which was missing one of the top 5 players in the league for half the season. If anything, they had to fight HARDER to win 62 games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top