U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times

Advertisements

the next 10 games are really going to be tough for the lakers, they could easily go 5-5 in the next 10. then again, if a couple of the teams "sneek up on them" again (houston already beat them and they play again, memphis as well) they could go 3-7 or 2-8. i dont think either of those things happen but i fully expect 2 losses to boston, a loss to the spurs, a loss to orlando, and a loss to NO. that would put them at 5-5 in their next 10. not to mention they are about to go on a 7 game road trip similar to the spurs RRT. 6 of those 10 are on the road also.
of those games 6 have very quick tough guards/point guards that the lakers just dont have the manpower to handle. shannon brown is the closest thing to a point guard defender and the lakers have been getting busted up by quick PGs all season. it is time for the lakers to trade fisher or someones washing machine, and pray they can get someone off waivers. maybe they can sign jason williams lmao. injured or not he has to be an upgrade over fisher/blake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Back to back home losses.....with crappy shooting, poor defense and horrendous rebounding.

They let the Celtics shoot 60%+ from the field....and STILL gave them 10 offensive rebounds while they shot 40%+ and only got....10 offensive rebounds.

Wow.

Kobe is looking great.
Bynum is basically getting garbage rebounds and points via Kobe drawing defenders but that can be done by any stiff. He is obviously nowhere near what he used to be and currently I think he may even be a below average starting center.
The Lakers bench is Odom...whom even a bit erratic is their 3rd best player by far.
Artest and Fisher are looking washed up which isn't a dig at either but they are getting old in Fishers case and have not aged well in Artests case.
Gasol, erratic and not playing up to his level. I'm guessing he has some nagging injuries?

Forget coasting, I was wrong.
Unless they get things together they might not even see the Western Conf. Finals.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bynum is basically getting garbage rebounds and points via Kobe drawing defenders but that can be done by any stiff. He is obviously nowhere near what he used to be and currently I think he may even be a below average starting center.
Bynum at his best was a promising center who showed flashes of brilliance, who is too injured nowadays to know whether he'll be there for you at the end. His greatest value to the Lakers now, in a big-man starved league, is he offers size. The Celtics by all accounts have the bigs to match them assuming they are healthy at the end. Garnett is much closer to 2008 form than the last 2 years of him hopping around on one leg. Which means any advantage the Lakers had with Gasol has been neutralized if Garnett is on form. What Bynum offers now is easily countered by a combo of Shaq, Perkins, Big Baby, and Perkins. Easily.

Kobe is doing well, but the 2008 and 2010 finals showed me that the Celtics have the right defensive scheme to keep Kobe from going buck wild. Without a reliant second option, this team doesn't beat the Celtics in a 7 game series, especially if they're on the road. The reality is, the Celtics have the ideal roster, if healthy, to attack the Lakers in the two areas they have advantages over just about every other team: on the perimeter with Kobe, and in the post with Gasol and Bynum( healthy).

The key is making Kobe work on the defensive end, whether it be having to guard the multi-faceted attack of Pierce, chasing Allen off screens, or trying to keep Rondo in front of him. Artest isn't nearly the defender he once was, which means Kobe will have to assume more of the defensive burden. Can he do it at 32, and have enough in the tank to save a Lakers team that still falls into the habit of over-relying on him in the clutch?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bynum at his best was a promising center who showed flashes of brilliance, who is too injured nowadays to know whether he'll be there for you at the end. His greatest value to the Lakers now, in a big-man starved league, is he offers size. The Celtics by all accounts have the bigs to match them assuming they are healthy at the end. Garnett is much closer to 2008 form than the last 2 years of him hopping around on one leg. Which means any advantage the Lakers had with Gasol has been neutralized if Garnett is on form. What Bynum offers now is easily countered by a combo of Shaq, Perkins, Big Baby, and Perkins. Easily.

Kobe is doing well, but the 2008 and 2010 finals showed me that the Celtics have the right defensive scheme to keep Kobe from going buck wild. Without a reliant second option, this team doesn't beat the Celtics in a 7 game series, especially if they're on the road. The reality is, the Celtics have the ideal roster, if healthy, to attack the Lakers in the two areas they have advantages over just about every other team: on the perimeter with Kobe, and in the post with Gasol and Bynum( healthy).

The key is making Kobe work on the defensive end, whether it be having to guard the multi-faceted attack of Pierce, chasing Allen off screens, or trying to keep Rondo in front of him. Artest isn't nearly the defender he once was, which means Kobe will have to assume more of the defensive burden. Can he do it at 32, and have enough in the tank to save a Lakers team that still falls into the habit of over-relying on him in the clutch?
It really doesn't matter if Kobe is torching you (like he did in both of the last 2 losses) if the Lakers D is letting you run wild and otherwise playing pathetic basketball. (And most top tier teams have *somebody* that Fisher has to guard.....and you know they will milk that.)

I don't think the Lakers are over-relying on Kobe in the clutch, I just think that the combination of age and injury has made them unable to keep it close on a consistent basis.

Really, I think their team defense is their biggest weakness right now followed by lack of bench depth second. They actually might have had some of these cracks last year but their big rivals had MORE injuries etc. and so they got somewhat of a smoother road to the title than what is shaping up this year.

Where is all that Laker cap space? I almost hate to look....

Yeah, Lakers management isn't doing them any favors.....Luke Walton, Bynum and Blake are salary cap cancer. At least in Bynums defense he got hurt and that can happen in the course of a long term contract. However, they are paying Walton and Blake >9million combined this year which would be enough money to have gotten a real player added to the roster.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM

the lakers have some ridiculously bad record when kobe shoots 20+ shots. gasol looks tired, and that may be due to 3 years of finals appearances in a row on top of the 39 mpg he was playing earlier this season. he and kobe i dont think are getting a long very well either, i get the impression that gasol isnt liking kobe taking all those shots. pau was the best player statistically in the playoffs last season and yet he cant get more touches? its almost like kobe is trying to prove his detractors wrong when they say he cant carry a team to the title without help (ie shaq/gasol)and thus proving them all right.

fisher is a corpse and blake is a solid 3rd string PG playing 2nd string. artest is a shell of himself, hung over maybe, or the hard life/seasons he has had being a "tough guy" have worn him out. the only player on the lakers that has been consistent IMO is odom. he should be a starter and let bynam come off the bench from the way it seems but then the lakers bench gets even thinner.

the lakers are about 20m over the cap this year and are another mil more next year and they dont even have the league minimum under contract next year (12 players if all options are picked up). i blame management for most of their issues. kobe gets 25, 27, 30 mil after this season. he could have done like tim duncan and taken less money to help the team sign players but he had to get his. and bynam is in no way worth 13 this year, 15 next and 16.4 the next. gasol and odom are the only 2 players on the team worth their contracts imo. i mean is kobe worth 30mil when he is 36-37 years old? at least pau is getting just under 20m when he turns 34 (similar to duncans salary) and odom could be getting 10 a year but he is only making 8 for the next 3 years.

jackson knows this is their last chance so he is getting out while he can as to not tarnish his record.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
I agree a lot with what you wrote. Bynum should be consistently dominating and he is not!! He acts like he's still a rookie learning the ropes, instead of the 5 year veteran that he is. He has to play like he belongs in the league.

Kobe on the other hand is still a great player, but not great enough to single handidly take over a game. For the Lakers to be successful, Kobe is going to have to get his teammates involved and pass the ball around. He is forcing way too many bad shoots that just don't go in. They will not win with Kobe taking those forced turnaround jumpers. If his teammates aren't good enough for him to pass the ball to, then they are simply not good enough to threepeat. That simple!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the lakers have some ridiculously bad record when kobe shoots 20+ shots. gasol looks tired, and that may be due to 3 years of finals appearances in a row on top of the 39 mpg he was playing earlier this season. he and kobe i dont think are getting a long very well either, i get the impression that gasol isnt liking kobe taking all those shots. pau was the best player statistically in the playoffs last season and yet he cant get more touches? its almost like kobe is trying to prove his detractors wrong when they say he cant carry a team to the title without help (ie shaq/gasol)and thus proving them all right.

fisher is a corpse and blake is a solid 3rd string PG playing 2nd string. artest is a shell of himself, hung over maybe, or the hard life/seasons he has had being a "tough guy" have worn him out. the only player on the lakers that has been consistent IMO is odom. he should be a starter and let bynam come off the bench from the way it seems but then the lakers bench gets even thinner.

the lakers are about 20m over the cap this year and are another mil more next year and they dont even have the league minimum under contract next year (12 players if all options are picked up). i blame management for most of their issues. kobe gets 25, 27, 30 mil after this season. he could have done like tim duncan and taken less money to help the team sign players but he had to get his. and bynam is in no way worth 13 this year, 15 next and 16.4 the next. gasol and odom are the only 2 players on the team worth their contracts imo. i mean is kobe worth 30mil when he is 36-37 years old? at least pau is getting just under 20m when he turns 34 (similar to duncans salary) and odom could be getting 10 a year but he is only making 8 for the next 3 years.

jackson knows this is their last chance so he is getting out while he can as to not tarnish his record.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It really doesn't matter if Kobe is torching you (like he did in both of the last 2 losses) if the Lakers D is letting you run wild and otherwise playing pathetic basketball. (And most top tier teams have *somebody* that Fisher has to guard.....and you know they will milk that.)
Well in years past, Kobe bailed them out even when they had several moments of suspect D. The problem now is that competition has caught up with them largely. The same thing happened in 2003, when the Spurs took them out.

What's forgotten in last year's run, is they were taken to the brink twice, by Oklahoma and by Boston, the latter of which surrendered a game-long lead literally with about 6 minutes left to go in the game. The Celtics are clearly as good as last year, none of the major players suffered any drop-off and they've added big bodies in Shaq And J Oneal, as and previously stated Garnett's return to health. The Lakers are clearly not as good.

The Lakers risk going into playoff matches with Boston and the Spurs on the road, not a good position( for them) to be in.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

i would say the only reason the celtics lost to the lakers last year was because of one role player. had perkins not gone down i dont think the lakers would have won that series. one role player made the difference. it is much like the lakers claim that they lost to boston a couple years ago because bynam was hurt, but i say perkins is/was more of a factor then bynam. he may not have the talent/skill set bynam has but his toughness and defense are far better and when all things are equal, perkins was just enough to tip the scales one way or the other.

if the lakers play the same way they have all season they will be a 4 seed facing someone like okc, utah (pending dwills wrist ins ruined), or denver (pending melo trades of course). those 3 teams as they stand today are not easy outs for the lakers and then as a 4 seed they get the spurs on the road. then if by some grace of laker gods they get by (or they send joe smith in to flagrant foul manu out of the series) they would more then likely face the mavs/hornets on the road. in other words if the lakers fall lower then the 2 spot they have about a 10% chance to make it to the finals and even at the 2 spot i give them a 30% chance. the only team i can see making it to the finals from the east that they can beat is miami. i dont think they can beat chigaco but i dont think the bulls could make it. orlando and boston are to much for the lakers.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I agree a lot with what you wrote. Bynum should be consistently dominating and he is not!! He acts like he's still a rookie learning the ropes, instead of the 5 year veteran that he is. He has to play like he belongs in the league.

Kobe on the other hand is still a great player, but not great enough to single handidly take over a game. For the Lakers to be successful, Kobe is going to have to get his teammates involved and pass the ball around. He is forcing way too many bad shoots that just don't go in. They will not win with Kobe taking those forced turnaround jumpers. If his teammates aren't good enough for him to pass the ball to, then they are simply not good enough to threepeat. That simple!!
In the last three losses Kobe has shot >50% from the field and vs. Dallas he only shot 18 times. However, the opposing team shot >50% in all 3 of those games and hurt the Lakers on the boards.

I have a hard time faulting him when he is shooting >50% from the field, especially when where the Lakers are really losing is at the other end of the court.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM

looking at that dallas game, the guards on the mavs team (kid, terry, jjb) combined to shoot 20 of 31 or 64%. the only guard who didnt shoot well was stevenson who went 0-5. marion also killed artest for 10 of 13.

the rest of the defense was not that bad, interior defense was solid, and they held dirk to 5 of 15.

it is a prime example of how the lakers cant handle a team with quick guards. this is not a team defense issue IMO, but more an individual player issue. fisher/blake/brown are either to slow to keep up, or in browns case, the defensive game isnt there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or