U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times

Advertisements

I think they should've kept Farmar and Sasha. Sasha is way better than Blake. Farmar should've been their starting pg , not Fisher.

Last edited by JL; 01-31-2011 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM

52,114 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
looking at that dallas game, the guards on the mavs team (kid, terry, jjb) combined to shoot 20 of 31 or 64%. the only guard who didnt shoot well was stevenson who went 0-5. marion also killed artest for 10 of 13.

the rest of the defense was not that bad, interior defense was solid, and they held dirk to 5 of 15.

it is a prime example of how the lakers cant handle a team with quick guards. this is not a team defense issue IMO, but more an individual player issue. fisher/blake/brown are either to slow to keep up, or in browns case, the defensive game isnt there.
Yeah, that's part of the problem....they have 1 good defender (kobe) and the rest aren't going to get the job done.

The interior is also soft.

I would agree yes that it isn't a "team" defense issue....but rather 3 of the 5 players on the team, perhaps we are splittling hairs there or talking about the same side of the coin.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,887,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I think they should've kept Farmar and Sasha. Sasha is way better than Blake. Farmar should've been their starting pg , not Fisher.

All the Laker point guards are substandard starters, thing is in the triangle with a creator like Kobe, the ideal guy needs to be essentially a spot up shooter ready to take the shot off the Kobe double-team( hence why guys like Paxson, Armstrong, and Kerr were successful when alongside Jordan). Fisher is the ideal player for the spot, he's just too old now to be effective over the course of a game.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
All the Laker point guards are substandard starters, thing is in the triangle with a creator like Kobe, the ideal guy needs to be essentially a spot up shooter ready to take the shot off the Kobe double-team( hence why guys like Paxson, Armstrong, and Kerr were successful when alongside Jordan). Fisher is the ideal player for the spot, he's just too old now to be effective over the course of a game.
i dont think offense is the issue for the PGs on the lakers, the PGs are still able to shoot fairly well it is defense where their issue lie. they cant keep up with other PGs and the lakers as a whole can cover that glaring hole any more. fisher used to be a decent defender and can lock down for short bursts but he has clearly lost a step or 7. blake was never a good defender but is equally as good as fisher on offense. a good defensive PG like a dwill would make the lakers unstoppable. that the basketball gods (and the salary cap) that the lakers cant afford his services because we would never hear the end of how great the lakers would be.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont think offense is the issue for the PGs on the lakers, the PGs are still able to shoot fairly well it is defense where their issue lie. they cant keep up with other PGs and the lakers as a whole can cover that glaring hole any more. fisher used to be a decent defender and can lock down for short bursts but he has clearly lost a step or 7. blake was never a good defender but is equally as good as fisher on offense. a good defensive PG like a dwill would make the lakers unstoppable. that the basketball gods (and the salary cap) that the lakers cant afford his services because we would never hear the end of how great the lakers would be.
I'm mainly saying that none of their guards are suitable as starters, they're all bench players at best. I know that the problem lies mainly on the defensive side of things.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,317,431 times
Lake Show will be fine. They need intensity, when they lack it they play like crap. Only Kobe keeps it nightly.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, that's part of the problem....they have 1 good defender (kobe)
And even with Kobe, as he ages he's going to be less capable of being able to score big and defend well simultaneously, especially when playing teams with guards that he actually has to guard. Jordan in his second 3peat wasn't as good defensively as in his prime, but Pippen covered him in those instances( why I always chuckle when people underrate how valuable Pippen was to those Bulls teams). Kobe has no such defensive running mate to tag-team with him on the perimeter. It should have been Artest but he looks 3 years past his prime, and it doesn't look as though Barnes is the answer either. Personally, I think they should have stuck with Ariza.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,451,006 times
The moves they made proved to me they have no front office brains.

They wanted to buy another championship so they went out and made massive moves to try and do this.

They ended up with a far worse team then they had.

Bostons bench is better then 75%+ of the NBA teams and they are playing together and have the team wide intensity needed to win the NBA.

The Lakers are flat and do not show signs of playing harder at all.

Boston just destroyed the Lakers recently and proved to me they are the team to beat.

Lakers are in a rough spot because of the money they wasted on all of these bad moves.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Boston just destroyed the Lakers recently and proved to me they are the team to beat.

Lakers are in a rough spot because of the money they wasted on all of these bad moves.
I tend to not put much stock in regular season contests. Boston beating LA is hardly surprising, given that LA in recent weeks has lost to teams like Sacramento and Milwaukee. I would say it's pretty evident that Boston from 1-12 is a much better overall team, though.

And Kobe in 2 finals against Boston has yet to show he can exert his will on the series and own it. Hard to see him doing it at this stage, while he had a spectacular scoring game against Boston the other day he was clearly working hard for his points. If I was the Celtics in a potential finals matchup with LA, I'd have him chasing Ray Allen all day off screens.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,214,380 times
lakers may have to sit bynam again, apparently his knees are giving him problems AGAIN.

Quote:
Andrew Bynum was seen tending to his left knee on the bench during the Lakers' loss to the Celtics on Sunday.

And Monday it kept him out of practice, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles.

According to McMenamin, Lakers head coach Phil Jackson said "we're hopeful" in regards to Bynum playing Tuesday night against the Rockets.

But Bynum's knees are often at issue. So if he misses Tuesday -- or beyond -- it's likely Lamar Odom will get his starting spot in the frontcourt back -- with rookie Derrick Caracter perhaps seeing a bit of time behind him as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or