U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

was just looking around, and tried artest and ratliff for andre miller. provided brandon roy ever comes back it makes a little sense. miller and roy dont coexist very well, and portland needs some size. it gives the blazers a legit SF to go along with batum, and with camby questionable, pryzbilla always hurt, and oden out for ever it gives them a back up to hold down the fort for 10-15 minutes a game.

on the lakers side it fills their biggest need, a defensive/bigger/quicker point guard. it doesnt help the 3 spot but barns is supposed to be back some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
well remember the lakers had nothing of value to offer and got pau gasol for kwame brown and a prospect in marc gasol. marc turned out ok (not equal to his brother though) and kwame is gone gone gone. they also got a pick which i believe they turned into mike conley if i remember correctly so again nothing.
if they can pull that BS off then they can find someone to take walton and/or artest.
That was a one-time gift from Jerry West. Maybe he was feeling nostalgic for his old club. Seriously doubt the Lakers get that kind of swoop again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Reputation: 18436
I'd like to see the Lakers get rid of Bynum and Artest, both heavy-legged disappointments. I'd give up both in some deal that brings Carmelo to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I'd like to see the Lakers get rid of Bynum and Artest, both heavy-legged disappointments. I'd give up both in some deal that brings Carmelo to LA.
If they do get Melo, they would have to give up either Pau,Bynum, or Odom. Most likely Bynum and Odom both would be gone for Melo. I don't see the Nuggets wanting anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
If they do get Melo, they would have to give up either Pau,Bynum, or Odom. Most likely Bynum and Odom both would be gone for Melo. I don't see the Nuggets wanting anyone else.
i agree, i dont think the nuggets would take artest. the only trade i see working or being realistic is the one i proposed earlier with artest and theo ratliff for andre miller. i am sure the lakers could throw in fisher or blake and get some other piece but the artest/ratliff for miller works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Artest is untradeable at this point. Who is going to take on his contract, given the baggage he carries and the fact that he's nowhere past his prime at this stage, plus his contract, 3 years remaining at 22 million. No GM in their right mind is going to take that on.... The Lakers most valuable tradeable asset right now is probably Odom, but despite his occasional lapses and inconsistency, he's an excellent fit for the triangle and is one of the most versatile players in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
 
51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree, i dont think the nuggets would take artest. the only trade i see working or being realistic is the one i proposed earlier with artest and theo ratliff for andre miller. i am sure the lakers could throw in fisher or blake and get some other piece but the artest/ratliff for miller works.
Guys with long term contracts way over their ability are plutonium in the NBA.

There are a NUMBER of teams that had guys in similar situations where they just had to eat the contract and release or keep the player since no one would touch it.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Walton along with Artest?

They are playing him only in garbage time and he has a couple years left at 5-6mil a year too.

The Lakers have nothing to trade and no one is going to give them anything for Artest, Walton or Fisher or even take them off the Lakers' hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
 
320 posts, read 620,879 times
Reputation: 174
You all might think I sound crazy, but I think the Lakers should swap with the Suns. I would trade Bynum, Blake, Walton and Arest for Steve Nash, Robin Lopez or Gortat, Dudley and Grant Hill.

I think Nash would be the offensive jolt that the Lakers need. Although, he would take the ball out of Kobe's hands, I think by him controlling the rock he would get everybody more involved in the offense. He lacks defense, but you'll just have to play matchup. Fisher is getting old and maybe better suited coming off the bench. I will still give him minutes, but he might be what the bench needs.

Bynum, when healthy is good, but he's too damn injury prone. Robin Lopez is sort of injury prone, but he's not any more injury prone than most centers seem to be these days. He's also a defensive work in progrees, but he has the size and offensive skills that Bynum has. If you are more concern with his defense then get Gortat instead.

Dudely can bring the energy off the bench. He's a good defender and three point shooter.

Grant Hill can take Artest's spot. Even at 38 he has more skills than Artests, he plays really good D, he plays harder and he makes better decisions with the ball.

I think that the Sun's are ready to part ways with Nash and rebuild. Bynum's has a big contract, but he's still young. The Sun's may not want Walton's contract, but they can trade him in the future. They can get rid of Dudely's contract, which isn't a lot Hill already has an expiring contract. I don't know what they would do with Josh Childress's contract? Does he even play?

I'm not a GM so, don't jump on me!!! You can mix and match the players however you like. Basically, I think the the Lakers need to figure out a way to get Nash and Grant Hill. They're old, but they play hard and can really help the Lakers get that three-peat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
You all might think I sound crazy, but I think the Lakers should swap with the Suns. I would trade Bynum, Blake, Walton and Arest for Steve Nash, Robin Lopez or Gortat, Dudley and Grant Hill.

I think Nash would be the offensive jolt that the Lakers need. Although, he would take the ball out of Kobe's hands, I think by him controlling the rock he would get everybody more involved in the offense. He lacks defense, but you'll just have to play matchup. Fisher is getting old and maybe better suited coming off the bench. I will still give him minutes, but he might be what the bench needs.

Bynum, when healthy is good, but he's too damn injury prone. Robin Lopez is sort of injury prone, but he's not any more injury prone than most centers seem to be these days. He's also a defensive work in progrees, but he has the size and offensive skills that Bynum has. If you are more concern with his defense then get Gortat instead.

Dudely can bring the energy off the bench. He's a good defender and three point shooter.

Grant Hill can take Artest's spot. Even at 38 he has more skills than Artests, he plays really good D, he plays harder and he makes better decisions with the ball.

I think that the Sun's are ready to part ways with Nash and rebuild. Bynum's has a big contract, but he's still young. The Sun's may not want Walton's contract, but they can trade him in the future. They can get rid of Dudely's contract, which isn't a lot Hill already has an expiring contract. I don't know what they would do with Josh Childress's contract? Does he even play?

I'm not a GM so, don't jump on me!!! You can mix and match the players however you like. Basically, I think the the Lakers need to figure out a way to get Nash and Grant Hill. They're old, but they play hard and can really help the Lakers get that three-peat.
Bynum is the only player that the Suns would consider from your proposal and even that is iffy due to his injury history and big contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
even if they would be interested, the lakers would be dumping 29m in salary and the suns 17m (gortat cant be traded because he was recently traded and there is a waiting period which will fall after the trade deadline. even still he would add about 4.5m more so the money wouldnt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top