Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Deng or Pierce
Deng 2 50.00%
Pierce 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,110,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i wouldnt say that. again it goes back to who is a leader on the team and who isnt. atl doesnt have as good a record as chitown but joe johnson is the undisputed leader of the hawks. JJ is better in every category except rebounds and blocks. but to me one of the biggest kickers for both deng and pierce, they both play less minutes then deng while producing more. ultimately the key is JJ is the #1 option on his team, the leader, the facilitator, while deng is a 3rd wheel.
Just because Johnson is the #1 offensive option doesn't mean he's the team's best player or having the best season.

Take Josh Smith off the Hawks and they would give up 10 more points a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,021,828 times
valid arguments surely but take deng off the bulls and how many games come off the win total? 2-3 maybe? deng has never been "the difference maker" even before noah, boozer and rose.

see the thing is you dont get into the game on ok stats that are equal to or lower then other players who are bigger contributers to their respective teams.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,110,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
valid arguments surely but take deng off the bulls and how many games come off the win total? 2-3 maybe? deng has never been "the difference maker" even before noah, boozer and rose.

see the thing is you dont get into the game on ok stats that are equal to or lower then other players who are bigger contributers to their respective teams.
No Deng would only cost the Bulls a 2 or 3 games? With Boozer and Noah missing so much time? If you were right that would mean Brewer and Korver would have stepped up big-time (which is possible but doubtful). I think Deng has a KG type presense on D where space gets closed up quick.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM

320 posts, read 714,247 times
^
^
^
Agreed. One of the reasons why I even started this thread is b/c people underestimates Deng's value on the Bulls. By averaging nearly 20 points a game, he is definately valuable on the offensive end. His defense ranges good to superb. The only other Bulls players that have better D than Deng is Brewer and Thomas. I would even put Deng over Noah. How many starting small forwards in the league have as good of D as Deng? Not many. The only ones I can think of is Pierce, LBJ, Artest (when he wants to), Shane Battier, Andre Iguadola (when he wants to), Trever Ariza. I'm pretty sure there's more, but that's all I can think of.

Without Deng the bulls could possibly lose a lot of games, especially to plus 500 teams. That's 15 to 20+ points that either Korver and/or Brewer will have to make up. I don't think those two combined can produce those numbers on a nightly basis. Plus, who else on the bulls can guard LBJ (or slow down), Pierce, Granger, Jason Richardson, Hedo, Gallinari, Gerald Wallace, Rudy Gay, Melo, Roy (when healthy), Richard Jefferson, Al Jefferson, Beasley, Corey Maggette, etc? Brewer may, but he lacks Deng's size and length. Plus, if he's worried about LBJ, then who's gonna Guard Wade? Keith Bogans? 4get about it.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM

77,786 posts, read 59,941,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
I know most people will say no. Others will say h#!! no? But consider the numbers Deng has put up this season vs. Pierce. They are very identical.

Loul Deng
Season Team 10-11 CHI
G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
48 48 39.2 0.454 0.353 0.732 1.6 4.6 6.2 2.5 0.8 0.5 2.0 2.1 17.8

Paul Pierce

Season Team 10-11 BOS
G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
48 48 34.4 0.512 0.420 0.850 0.4 4.7 5.0 3.3 1.0 0.6 1.9 2.9 19.1

They're pretty much the same player stat wise. The number of games played are the same. They both can score (Pierce is more efficient), defend/block shots (Deng's better), Rebounds (Deng's has an edge) Assist (Pierce), Minutes (Deng), Field goal percentage (Pierce).

I know people have a problem with Deng's consistency in scoring, but he's not the go-to guy for the Bulls and is overshadowed by Rose and Boozer. Deng is the 3rd scorer for Chicago. Even though Rondo's the best player on the C's, Pierce is still the go-to guy. Deng is a better one on one defender than pierce. In fact, Deng has shown that he can be a lock down defender. He is one of the reasons (along with Brewer and Kurt Thomas) why the bulls are the best defensive team in the league. Therefore, he doesn't have to score all the time to be effective, like Pierce does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pierce is deserving of All-star nods, but people need to start giving him more respect than he's been getting. He's having a phenomenal season and is also All-star worthy.

But enough of what I think. What do you all think?
As other posters have noted, Pierce shoots a MUCH better % and is arguably more focused upon than Deng. (and I'm a Bulls fan)

This is no knock on Deng, Pierce is a future HOFer and Finals MVP....Deng is doing great and it's amazing just how much talent the Bulls have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball