U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times

Advertisements

yes i realize that, and i corrected my comments and you continued with

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas
excuse me it was the 2nd loss that the celtics where missing rondo.

rondo played in that game, it was on TNT
so i corrected that.

either way its a moot point, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and if you honestly believe the 76ers are going to even slightly challenge any team above the 5 seed in the playoffs you are delusional i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
That's OK, TVandSportsGuy. I don't understand most of what you go on about, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Then you don't understand loyalty. Cleveland fans understand better than most that a bad is better than no team.
This.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,775,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
very well put.
houston (where i live) is full of what i call fair weather fans. nobody likes a losing team but people should continue to support them. dont support your team and you could lose them, ask the hornets.

man i dont get it, what is the OPs problem with the cavs in general?
There's a major difference there. Look, I have family in Ohio, so Ohioans don't take this wrong, but...it's Cleveland and it's winter. Not a ton to do but stay inside SOMEWHERE.

There's a whole ton more to do on decent weather days (most of the year) in Houston. Try Miami and the Heat...they don't sell out for LeBron.

As for the Hornets, big deal. Was there even a market for them in Nawlins when they bolted from Charlotte? Probably not a big one.

Besides, it costs a ton of money to be a lemming who supports junk like the Texans...for another non-playoff season. I never have spent a dime on them in particular, so I'm not the first to ask about that.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,994,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't have a problem with the cavs but I was just stunned with the economy so shaky and the unemployment rate so high, why is the stadium always filled up for a losing team. I'm just surprised people are still burning gas, paying for parking, and buying food to come out and see a team who has lost 24 games in a row.

The 76ers are doing very well right now and is a 7th seed in the east, and their stadium is NEVER SOLD OUT
Well Cleveland's economy is doing much better than the national average, and most importantly, most of the season tickets were sold last year when LeBron was with the team.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,025,864 times
Quote:
On top of losing 24 straight games this season, there is no more Lebron James and every time I see a video shot a Cavs home game it looks sold out. Why is the building always filled up for every home game for a 8-53 team with no star?
Cleveland is Sportstown. I personally went to 3 of the games during the streak and the crowd was always into the game. Another interesting (and depressing stat): for the past decade, the Browns have the highest attendance per victory in the NFL.

The game last night was SOLD OUT too. Attendance: 20562

Old 02-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the cavs but I was just stunned with the economy so shaky and the unemployment rate so high, why is the stadium always filled up for a losing team. I'm just surprised people are still burning gas, paying for parking, and buying food to come out and see a team who has lost 24 games in a row.

The 76ers are doing very well right now and is a 7th seed in the east, and their stadium is NEVER SOLD OUT
Two comments here:

1) Cleveland is still a CSA of 3 million people and we've had an umemployment rate below the national average for the past year at least.

2) The Q Arena (all three stadiums for that matter) is located downtown. It is connected via a walkway with the central train station and the BRT route etc. 2 of the 3 games I went to, I hoped on the train to and from no problem. However, when they do win, I like to celebrate at a few of the Downtown bars so my hard earned money does get pumped into Downtown economy.

Not to mention, did I mention this is a Sportstown? It's in the culture.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,164 times
Quote:
On top of losing 24 straight games this season, there is no more Lebron James and every time I see a video shot a Cavs home game it looks sold out. Why is the building always filled up for every home game for a 8-53 team with no star?
ticket sales are sometimes a year behind, many prob. bought those tix thinking he-who-shall-not-be-mentioned would choose cleveland.

we'll see in the next 2 years. plus you can never really believe these attendance figures, they're all made up and many tix are sold under face value to make it look better for the stats.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
ticket sales are sometimes a year behind, many prob. bought those tix thinking he-who-shall-not-be-mentioned would choose cleveland.

we'll see in the next 2 years. plus you can never really believe these attendance figures, they're all made up and many tix are sold under face value to make it look better for the stats.
Actually I agree with you. When many season ticket holders don't renew for next year, sold out games are going to be less and less.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Two comments here:

1) Cleveland is still a CSA of 3 million people and we've had an umemployment rate below the national average for the past year at least.

2) The Q Arena (all three stadiums for that matter) is located downtown. It is connected via a walkway with the central train station and the BRT route etc. 2 of the 3 games I went to, I hoped on the train to and from no problem. However, when they do win, I like to celebrate at a few of the Downtown bars so my hard earned money does get pumped into Downtown economy.

Not to mention, did I mention this is a Sportstown? It's in the culture.

Sportstown??? Never heard that before

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
TVSG,
You should know that alot of small market teams have very devoted fans. I don't know if its because there isn't much to do there, but many of these smaller markets have the greatest fans and they show up even if a team isn't doing well. If OKC Thunder, Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, etc. weren't doing well, i bet the fans would still show up in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or