U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,065,590 times

Advertisements

At some time in the future you will see a center who combines great athletic and offensive skills. The game has shifted away from physical play to more speed and quickness compared to the 90's and earlier eras. But nothing really beats having a guy who can score in the paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM

724 posts, read 1,473,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yeah houston rockets fans still live off that video/series. last good thing the rockets ever did. looking at the numbers david got the best of hakeem on a regular basis and while hakeem was better all around, david was a lot closer to him then anyone gives him credit for. hakeem was way more motivated for that series and to be honest it wasnt davids fault, he carried his teams like nobody else and on top of that they gave him the mvp trophy right before game 1 of that series. that should have never happened and it just motivated hakeem so much more, david didnt know what hit him.

in the end, the hakeem got a couple rings, david got a couple rings, and the spurs kept going, the rockets ehhh not so much. living in houston being a spurs fan, we CONSTANTLY have to hear about how hakeem got robinson. the 1st sign of a rockets/spurs conversation and in 30 seconds or less that single loan series will be brought up, you can set your watch to it.
The OP asked if we had seen the last great center. My answer is that you can't get better than Hakeem, so the answer is yes. I didn't mean to turn it into a Spurs hate-fest. Robinson was an incredible all-star and Hall of Famer which is why Hakeem's series stands the test of time. He routinely did stuff like that to Joe Klein, but no one holds up the two Phoenix series as proof of his greatness among other top caliber centers.

And yes, Robinson put up better regular season numbers at times, but the playoffs are where legends get made. Robinson's two titles came with Duncan at PF. Hakeem had Otis Thorpe, Robert Horry and Chucky Brown at PF during his two title runs. Thorpe was great, but not Duncan caliber. Robinson even had Rodman backing him up in the paint during the I-10 shoot out. That's pretty solid front line help.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,209,453 times
the question is subjective. how do we know we have seen the last great center? how do we know that some 8th grader right now isnt going to be the best ever? or some 2nd grader?

the chances of kids of the future getting better are great so i would say NO we have not seen the last great offensive center.
as a mater of fact per his numbers i would say shaq was a better OFFENSIVE center then hakeem.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM

224 posts, read 565,146 times
I understand the point but I think it's flawed. For starters, you would have to define "center." Because while Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber, Amar'e Stoudemire, Tim Duncan, etc may not technically be centers the way, say, Shaq or Wilt were, they were still guys who primarily played in the post.

Maybe an even more interesting question to answer is why even bother distinguishing center from power forward? A post player is a post player. Who cares if one is 7-0 tall and slow, and another is 6-10 and quicker? Why does that matter? I mean, Hakeem and Robinson weren't *really* 7-footers. Robinson played face to the basket. Hakeem dribbled a lot. Ewing was a jump shooter. These guys weren't exactly "pure" centers either.

The bigger you are the greater the likelihood you will lack physical coordination. A 7-footer who is coordinated enough to score is probably the rarest form of basketball player.

I don't think it matters, to be honest. First and foremost, your big man should protect the rim. If he can score, it's a bonus. And if he can be an unstoppable scoring machine like Shaq, you just won the lottery.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,860,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
I mean, Hakeem and Robinson weren't *really* 7-footers. Robinson played face to the basket. Hakeem dribbled a lot. Ewing was a jump shooter. These guys weren't exactly "pure" centers either.
Do you mean that "weren't *really* 7-footers" figuratively or literally? Because David Robinson is listed at 7'1.

They were post players with post moves. Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing were great at protecting down low too, blocks/rebounds.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 AM

158 posts, read 227,876 times
Brook Lopez is the best offensive center in the game today. He has a nice touch around the rim and can knock down mid range shots.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,298,652 times
An economist estimated that there are only about 70 7 foot tall US males between the ages of 20 & 40.
What percentage of 7-footers are in the NBA?
With such a small population, the supply of 7 footers who also have good hand eye coordination and agility is bound to be volatile. Even Shaq was never much of a shooter. He did get to the point where he could hit the 5-7 foot jumper or jump hook, but mostly he just depended on his strength and agility to score.

Here's an interesting question: what 7 foot players could have made it in the NBA had they been, say, 6'6. I think maybe only Kareem. He would have obviously had to change his game, but I think he had a good enough shooting touch.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An economist estimated that there are only about 70 7 foot tall US males between the ages of 20 & 40.
What percentage of 7-footers are in the NBA?
With such a small population, the supply of 7 footers who also have good hand eye coordination and agility is bound to be volatile. Even Shaq was never much of a shooter. He did get to the point where he could hit the 5-7 foot jumper or jump hook, but mostly he just depended on his strength and agility to score.

Here's an interesting question: what 7 foot players could have made it in the NBA had they been, say, 6'6. I think maybe only Kareem. He would have obviously had to change his game, but I think he had a good enough shooting touch.
Hakeem. Dirk. Toni Kukoc. To name a few. (they weren't all centers, but these are 7 footers)

Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,001,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Hakeem. Dirk. Toni Kukoc. To name a few. (they weren't all centers, but these are 7 footers)
Kukoc was listed as 6'11", so probably legit 6'10".

Also kind of a pet peeve here: people are overly fixated on a center being 7'. Before the draft combine numbers were public, we really have no idea how tall players really were, and there have been some pretty successful centers listed under 7' (Mourning, Howard, Moses Malone to name a few).

Quote:
Baseless speculation. If they had grown up shorter, it might have improved other aspects of their athleticism (quickness, ability to run the floor), or forced them to spend time developing other skills.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Kukoc was listed as 6'11", so probably legit 6'10".

\.
Point is, Kukoc, Dirk, and Hakeem could have been 6 inches shorter and still be in the NBA, in my opinion.

Would they be just as good? I don't know, maybe worse, maybe better.
Would MJ be as good as he was at 6'11 or 7' ? Maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or