U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Whose the best PG of 2010/11
D. Rose 14 53.85%
Chris Paul 4 15.38%
D. Will 3 11.54%
Rondo 2 7.69%
Russell Westbrook 1 3.85%
Other 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
to be honest i dont think CP is as good a defender as people give him credit. he has steals no doubt but if you watch him, his steals are like manus steals (and tonys) they are all on gambles. he leaves his man to sneak up from behind someone or shooting a gap. look at what he does against the other teams PGs and he gets burned just as often as he burns them.
I rely solely on the all-nba defensive teams which he has made 2 or maybe 3 times now. When you look at the selections....they tend to nail them.

NBA & ABA All-Defensive Teams | Basketball-Reference.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
[quote=Mathguy;17910573 When you look at the selections....they tend to nail them.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say always. There's a few years where Kobe got voted in, I swear, on reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I wouldn't say always. There's a few years where Kobe got voted in, I swear, on reputation.
Good point.

I guess what I'm better off saying that if I see a guy up there a few times he's generally a better defender than a guy that's never been up there.

Plus CP is only 25 so for him to get up there twice already I have to think has some decent merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
a lot of people consider steals to be a good indicator of defensive ability, this gives chris paul "the benefit of the doubt" because he has gotten a ton of steals. i am 100% positive this would be a reason for his all nba selection. his defense is also a bit skewed in terms of the players he has played with. he has generally played with other decent defenders, like okafur, west, and chandler. guys who are "known good defenders" dont gamble to get the steals. case in point, bruce bowen and manu ginobili. manu is a known gambler, and is considered an OK defender but not all nba by any means, while bruce was all nba every year since 2001. manu averages about twice as many steals. ron artest is the only known historically good defender who got a lot of steals. garnett, just over 1, bowen .8, howard about 1.

other then the steals he doesnt really ever slow the opposition down. parker and paul torched each other something nasty in the playoffs in 2008. his opposition tends to get theirs and he tends to get his so IMO he isnt really much if any better then parker on the defensive end, maybe some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
 
Location: In San Antonio
1,673 posts, read 2,721,974 times
Reputation: 1242
My top 5

CP3
Parker
Rose
Williams
Nash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
 
320 posts, read 620,879 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
once again, what has he done to prove he is better? aaron brooks went up in every statistical category last year from the year before so does that make him the best PG last year or does it make him more improved as a player in himself? making your numbers go up doesnt mean your better then anyone else it just means you are better then you where.

no doubt rose is having a huge season but as brooks showed you can have a great season and then fall off, rondo has continued to get better every season and the jury is still out as it is to early in both of their careers to pass full judgement.
You obviously don't watch enough basketball and/or Bulls games because you keep asking such a stupid questions. He went from an good player last year to a MVP candidate this year. He's the main reason why the Bulls has such a good record. He has proven himself in the regular season, now he has to prove himself in the Playoffs. Although he has proven himself in the playoffs in the past, this time he has a much better team and coach.

Aaron Brooks is no D. Rose. I don't even know why you are making this comparison. I love Brooks game, but he ain't even on the same level as D. Rose. D. Rose has consistently gotten better every season. Season 1: ROY, Playoffs; Season 2: Allstar, Playoffs, Season 3: Allstar Starter, possible MVP, Eastern Conference Contender. How many players have MVP buzz their 3rd season? Not many. You tell me whose progressing faster?

I'll change my ranking and put Rondo at 2, if that makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
Never said Brooks was on the same level but your argument was that roses numbers went up in all categories. That would be the least relevant argument on the thread and I responded with an example of why it is ridiculous. Brooks numbers also went up across the board thus the MIP award, then all of his numbers went right back down. So that said I say give rose a bit more time in the league before we crown him the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
 
320 posts, read 620,879 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Never said Brooks was on the same level but your argument was that roses numbers went up in all categories. That would be the least relevant argument on the thread and I responded with an example of why it is ridiculous. Brooks numbers also went up across the board thus the MIP award, then all of his numbers went right back down. So that said I say give rose a bit more time in the league before we crown him the best.
Fair enough. However, its big difference when an above average player's numbers improve vs an average player. When an average player's numbers improves, it can lead to an Allstar game; when an above average player's number's improves, it can lead to an MVP.

Anyway, he's killing the spurs in the first half tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
ehhh he is having a good game but his defense is suspect. the bulls should be up by a whole lot more, they would be up by 4 if not for 2 bad foul calls in the last minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ehhh he is having a good game but his defense is suspect. the bulls should be up by a whole lot more, they would be up by 4 if not for 2 bad foul calls in the last minute.
What about his defense is suspect exactly? Not being a smart A but how many bulls games have you watched this year? His defense, is not top notch, but is fine.

Anyways, 42, 8, and 5 tonight. But hey, Rondo gets 11 rebounds some games right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top