U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whose the best PG of 2010/11
D. Rose 14 53.85%
Chris Paul 4 15.38%
D. Will 3 11.54%
Rondo 2 7.69%
Russell Westbrook 1 3.85%
Other 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,899,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, the MVP typically goes to the best player on a team that finished with one of the top records in the NBA regular season.

San Antonio will have a fragmented vote as will Boston.

That leaves the usual Lebron and Kobe.....and Rose.

However, Dallas is doing very very well and when Dirk went out they were something like 2-6 so I think that he will get quite a few votes.

I don't know, this is one of those years where I'm not sure I could guess the MVP winner if you let me pick 3 names and that is pretty rare.

Pretty interesting.
You'd have to figure Miami will have a fragmented vote as well, which could cancel out Lebron( and Wade for that matter). Kobe...... is not MVP this season, not with the Lakers 'great one week, suck the next week' play this year. It's gotta be Rose and Dirk as the frontrunners. And really, I hope the 'Rose needs to pay his dues' logic doesn't enter the voters' minds. The guy is having an MVP season, whether he's in his third year or his 10th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 PM

320 posts, read 623,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
he let tony parker shoot 11-21 for 26 pts (10 more then his average) and the bulk of the misses from tony where due to the bigs in the paint altering the shots. lets face it, rose isnt stopping anyone, he just has decent size behind him. this is the same way the spurs have covered for parkers defensive weakness.

no doubt he had a very nice game, but then he played against parker who isnt exactly a defensive stopper. i say he is not a PG so much as a 2 guard and would be much better suited with a pass 1st pg on the team to move him over. something like monte/curry.
Firstly, the best player on a team isn't always gonna guard the best player on the other team. That would wear them down and put them in foul trouble often. You don't see Kobe guarding Ray Allen, D. Wade or Monte Ellis all 48 minutes. It will wear him out. Usually, there's a time when you have to double-team players like that.

Secondly, great offense will always trump great defense. Parker is a veteran, championship caliber guard, excellent scorer, former All-star and Finals MVP, who is still in his 20's and is having one hell of a season. If he didn't have to battle with great guards in the West, he would've easily been an All-star this year. Rose isn't a defensive stopper like Brewer or Thomas, but he can play D. However, he's not going to be able to stop a great guard like Parker with Defense alone. The best way to slow down a player like Parker, is to wear him down offensively, which is what D Rose did last night. And he, with the help of his teammates made him work for every shot with hard defense.

Lastly, it's hard to guard a player one on one when their are picks constantly being set for him. As soon as a big man sets the pick the other defender is suppose to cut the ball-handler off before he makes a move. Parker still has one of the fastest first steps in the league and no guard, including D. Rose, can catch up with him off a pick.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,238,941 times
Did you even watch that game? With the exception of the occasional switch due to screen, rose guarded Parker the whole game. He also played about 8 minutes more.

As for good offense trumping good defense, there goes what little credibility you had left. When was the last time a purely offensive team won anything? Here let me help, the 1980s teams didn't play a ton of defense, until the bad boys, the jordans bulls not only lead the league in offense, but where a top defensive team with the 72 win team leading in both offense and defense. The lakers, spurs, pistons, and celtics since Jordan gave all been very good to great defensively.
Monte Ellis is a hell of an offensive player, what has he done?

Defense wins bottom line.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM

320 posts, read 623,012 times
Quote:
Did you even watch that game? With the exception of the occasional switch due to screen, rose guarded Parker the whole game. He also played about 8 minutes more.

As for good offense trumping good defense, there goes what little credibility you had left. When was the last time a purely offensive team won anything? Here let me help, the 1980s teams didn't play a ton of defense, until the bad boys, the jordans bulls not only lead the league in offense, but where a top defensive team with the 72 win team leading in both offense and defense. The lakers, spurs, pistons, and celtics since Jordan gave all been very good to great defensively.
Monte Ellis is a hell of an offensive player, what has he done?

Defense wins bottom line.
Ah hmmm. Let me make myself even more clearer. Ah hmmm.

Good INDIVIDUAL offense trumps good INDIVIDUAL defense. I'm not talking about team offense vs team defense. Some players in this league can't be guarded one-on-one the entire game. For instance, Kobe, LBJ, D. Wade, D. Rose, Duncan, Dirk, Carmelo, Amar'e, just to name a few. Parker is on that list. How many of the top 5 point guards in the league can stop Tony Parker one on one the entire game? None! Not even Rondo. How many people can stop parker of a pick and roll or a switch? None. I think you are underestimating Tony Parker and confusing him with Aaron Brooks. Parker is a one time finals MVP who is having a great season and still in his 20's. If you don't recognize that then there goes the tiny credibility you have left.

Like I said b4, the best way to guard Parker is to make him work for every shot and challenge him offensively.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,388,691 times
From ESPNs daily dime:

Quote:
Going 1-for-10 from the field in a showdown with Deron Williams hurt the C's in a 88-79 loss in Newark. Over his past five games, Rondo is averaging seven points and eight assists in 34.2 minutes
D Rose doesn't have steches like that. Obviously Rondo is not as bad as the last 5 games would suggest, but I think it does a good job of illustrating the seperation that exists between Rose and Rondo.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
From ESPNs daily dime:

D Rose doesn't have steches like that. Obviously Rondo is not as bad as the last 5 games would suggest, but I think it does a good job of illustrating the seperation that exists between Rose and Rondo.
Derrick Rose doesn't play like a point. A point guard facilitates i.e. create opportunities for others to score. Point guard stats are assists, turnovers, steals.

Averages on the year
Rose: 8, 3.5, 1.1
Rondo: 11.7, 3.7, 2.4

Rondo has better stats than Rose in all stats except points. Rondo is a better defender than Rose is. So if anything is shows how much better Rondo is overall as a point guard.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,238,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Derrick Rose doesn't play like a point. A point guard facilitates i.e. create opportunities for others to score. Point guard stats are assists, turnovers, steals.

Averages on the year
Rose: 8, 3.5, 1.1
Rondo: 11.7, 3.7, 2.4

Rondo has better stats than Rose in all stats except points. Rondo is a better defender than Rose is. So if anything is shows how much better Rondo is overall as a point guard.
this has kinda been my point from the get go.
rose plays more like a 2 guard then a pg.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM

52,346 posts, read 42,118,364 times
Quote:
this has kinda been my point from the get go.
rose plays more like a 2 guard then a pg.
Yeah, things are really blurry around this topic.

The last championship bulls team had their "point guard" playing the 3 position.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 AM

52,346 posts, read 42,118,364 times
Rose might not be a pure 1 or 2....but at this rate the Bulls are going to finish with the best record in the east and the MVP trophy is going to be going home in the trunk of Roses car.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,388,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Rose might not be a pure 1 or 2....but at this rate the Bulls are going to finish with the best record in the east and the MVP trophy is going to be going home in the trunk of Roses car.
And this makes him the best PG in the league. He plays PG, and he may win the MVP. That makes him the best player.

I, personally find the arguement "he doesn't fill up the stat sheet in the crusty old guys world that a PG should" to hold much water for who is the best player. He plays PG, Rondo plays PG, Derrick is a better player and might win MVP. I don't care if Rondo averages 3 more assists per game.

Rose has been playing very solid defense as well lately. I don't think he is as far off from Rondo as people are stating in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball