U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
So who's going to beat them before they get to the Finals? If anyone's Finals status is questionable it's the Celtics not the Spurs. Giving up Perkins because of his frequent injuries I can understand but to give up Nate Robinson as well? That's not a good move for Boston considering the depth and quality play they had been getting from Robinson off the bench. If anything they may have just handed Miami the Eastern Conference Championship.
The Thunder can now be called "Big Thunder" cause they just got bigger with Perkins and Mohammed. I still think the Spurs and Mavs will get the top 2 seeds with the Lakers and Big Thunder fighting it out for 3rd seed.

Spurs are still favorites in the West. I think now the Heat are the favorites out East unless the two O'Neals get healthy and STAY healthy for the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
To me there are two teams that stand out from this trade week.

Denver - they flat out stole from NY. Melo was leaving either way at the end of the year for NY. Denver somehow talked NY in giving up their 2nd,3rd,4th leading scorers and got draft picks on top. Their team now is stacked and drama free.
PG - Felton / Lawson
SG - Affalo / Smith
SF - Dano / Chandler
PF - KMart / Harrington
C - Nene / Anderson

Portland - they give pennies to Charlotte for Gerald Wallace.

The biggest loser hands down in NY. They get Melo at a huge price, which is he fat contract and having to practically give up their whole team. In return, they replace apple for apple (Felton for Billups) and give up their future (Dano and Mozlov). All when they could have just signed him next year for less money and not having to empty the roster. Hope the CBA doesn't affect their hopes and aspirations of filling out the roster.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The reason i say the Rockets have a chance is because of Olajuwon. I think they will get Olajuwon to have more contact or tutoring sessions with Howard again and you can bet Olajuwon will try to make his case for Howard to come on board.

Brooks is fortunate to have Nash as his mentor and he will be fine coming off the bench to a legend, but his defense surely isn't gonna improve. Maybe he might change his mentality from a shoot first to a pass first guard with Nash's influence...who knows. One thing for sure, he had to be traded as his value was going downhill.
Hakeem might have some influence but the bottom line will be can Houston get him farther then he has been? With the mediocre moves they have made it's not likely, and adelman isn't leaning towards being back.

I don't think the suns are worried defense. He is going to come off the bench like Barbosa almost exactly. The word is it will be his team next year also.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM

28,497 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
rockets traded battier for thabeet and a 1st rounder, and brooks for dragic of the suns.

i think the rockets pushed, they got the better deal for shane and the worse deal for brooks.
Agreed.

Brooks getting starter's money & coming off of the bench & his attitude with coming off of the bench made him trade worthy.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
BAD move, perhaps they have an inside scoop that Perkins may be going when his contract ends? He's one of the best post defenders in the league. Bizarre move.....

Rigas, we do seem to disagree quite a bit at times, but I don't see where they made this move specifically to counter the Spurs. The Celtics are very capable of playing small ball, even with Perkins on the team. If anything, Perkins is needed for interior toughness against the Lakers with Gasol and Bynum.Hmmmm... odd, odd move.
apparently i am not the only one who thinks the celtics made changes to match up with smaller team like the spurs.

Quote:
They'll never say so in so many words, but actions speak much louder. And today's actions said that when playoff time rolls around, Boston thinks it will need perimeter depth, floor spacing and the ability to play smaller a lot more than it'll need quality low-post defenders.

Translation: Miami is the threat here, not Orlando. And if the Celtics survive, it's San Antonio, not the Lakers, whom they now match up better against. (Project Spurs' Mike De Leon's espn.com Insider subscription)

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Hakeem might have some influence but the bottom line will be can Houston get him farther then he has been? With the mediocre moves they have made it's not likely, and adelman isn't leaning towards being back.

I don't think the suns are worried defense. He is going to come off the bench like Barbosa almost exactly. The word is it will be his team next year also.
The Rockets have the rest of the season to determine where they go and next season to see how Thabeet develops. If they improve and add better players this offseason, it could be a very good year next year to show Howard and any other star about coming to Houston. Just remember, Houston got a couple of 1st round picks with the trade today and they have quite a few trade assets for the summer. I firmly believe JVG would return as the Houston coach if Adelman retired. We'll see.

That is the problem with Brooks. He doesn't play defense and why the Rockets traded him. He is a shoot first, pass later pt. guard and not a playmaker. Maybe Nash can have a positive influence on him, but no matter what, his defense won't improve especially with his size.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Denver - they flat out stole from NY. Melo was leaving either way at the end of the year for NY. Denver somehow talked NY in giving up their 2nd,3rd,4th leading scorers and got draft picks on top. Their team now is stacked and drama free.
PG - Felton / Lawson
SG - Affalo / Smith
SF - Dano / Chandler
PF - KMart / Harrington
C - Nene / Anderson

Portland - they give pennies to Charlotte for Gerald Wallace.

The biggest loser hands down in NY. They get Melo at a huge price, which is he fat contract and having to practically give up their whole team. In return, they replace apple for apple (Felton for Billups) and give up their future (Dano and Mozlov). All when they could have just signed him next year for less money and not having to empty the roster. Hope the CBA doesn't affect their hopes and aspirations of filling out the roster.
The Nuggets definitely got alot of trade assets and potential out of all the trades, but eventually it will have to translate to wins on the court. We'll know in a couple of years if it all pans out.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,223 times
I have really enjoyed you guys thoughts on these trades, because the Celtics one really left me wondering.

I actually hate the deal (not a C's or OKC fan--just a NBA fan), but if what some of you are saying about Perk's knees and contract is true, than I guess that deal makes a little bit of sense.

I really like the deal for the Thunder. I know the Lakers have struggled, but until definitely proven otherwise, LA is the team to beat. Everyone should know by now, that if you dont get some legitimate size, you are not going to win the West, which still goes through LA. I like that the Thunder got bigger.

As for the C's, I dont like that they got smaller. I guess I am thinking the opposite: Rather than have the C's get smaller to match these teams, why not, if you are Boston, stay bigger and make them match up to you? Obviously, big was working...last check, they were still the 1 seed in the East, right? Plus, is Jeff Green athletic enough to match up with the Josh Smiths of the world? And what about the Bulls? Did getting smaller help the C's against Chi-town?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

PG - Felton / Lawson
SG - Affalo / Smith
SF - Dano / Chandler
PF - KMart / Harrington
C - Nene / Anderson
If those 3 can stay healthy, you have to like that Denver roster--they just lack a proven go to scorer that can get them points no matter what (what Melo was good at).

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM

post trade denver is actually playing fairly well. they didnt shoot the ball well last night but they beat the now depleted celtics, and only allowed 75 points was a nice touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball