U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
while the move is surely not 100% to counter the spurs, the lack of bigs in the league, the fact that perkins has hurt his OTHER knee, and the fact that they wanted to give him 22mm over 4 years or "midlevel exception' money so he said no where all factors. the celtics have lost the bulk of their interior defense, shaq is only good for 15 minutes these days, the "other oneill" isnt coming back and if he does he will not handle more then 10 minutes at best. this leaves a rookie and KG, and nenad who is allergic to defense AND rebounding. the celtics can see the empending doom of the lakers so they think they dont need all that size inside. perkins can move but he is in no way able to keep up with a faster line up, not to mention while bonner cant guard him, how is he gonna guard bonner. i also think the celtics expect to get troy murphy off waivers to help shore up the bigs. i certainly hope not but it could happen.

also nate robinson went with perk so they are a little thin at the PG spot depending on west.
I'd say the Spurs factored little in the equation. You assume, as a Spurs fan, that they're naturally poised to lord over the league once the Lakers are done. That's not necessarily the case. There's plenty of up and coming teams, and let's not forget, Duncan is 35 and Ginobli 34 this year, it's not as if the Spurs have this huge window to win championships.

Last edited by Roman77; 02-25-2011 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
apparently i am not the only one who thinks the celtics made changes to match up with smaller team like the spurs.
Finding a random opinion to jive with yours doesn't make yours any more relevant or legit. Just because the move allows them to potentially match up with the Spurs better, doesn't mean that the trade was done 'specifically' to counter the Spurs. You could likely name a bunch of teams that they 'match up better' with now, doesn't mean they made the trade to specifically match up with one team or another. It likely has to do with contractual and injury reasons, moreso than anything else. The Celtics, from 1-12 have, or at least had, the most versatile lineup in the league. For that matter, if they wanted to match up with smaller teams better, why would they trade away Nate Robinson??

Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,309,587 times
Wow what a crazy week!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
There is no way Boston is even closely thinking about the Spurs; Lakers are favored out West. I think the reasoning for Jeff Green had a lot to do with the Celtics not having a great scorer coming off the bench when Pierce and Allen need rests. Everyone seems to think that Boston with meet Miami... Miami isn't loaded at C as well which helps with matchup. Now yes the Celtics will have problems guarding Howard or say the Lakers big 2 (Gasol and Bynum); granted they had problems guarding these guys with Perkins a year ago in the playoffs. So for me, I don't see Perkins as a huge loss.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:33 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Finding a random opinion to jive with yours doesn't make yours any more relevant or legit. Just because the move allows them to potentially match up with the Spurs better, doesn't mean that the trade was done 'specifically' to counter the Spurs. You could likely name a bunch of teams that they 'match up better' with now, doesn't mean they made the trade to specifically match up with one team or another. It likely has to do with contractual and injury reasons, moreso than anything else. The Celtics, from 1-12 have, or at least had, the most versatile lineup in the league. For that matter, if they wanted to match up with smaller teams better, why would they trade away Nate Robinson??
what ever man, that opinion was not "random" that was on espn just so happens to be at the same time as my suggestion. as i stated the moves might not be solely to match up with the spurs BUT the spurs where 100% a factor in the moves. they may not have been 100% THE factor but they where most definitely part of the thought process.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM

oh wait whats this? more random thoughts similar to mine?

Quote:
Boston Celtics: B

Everyone in Beantown is puzzled by this deal, but the Celtics desperately needed a wing and had a surplus of centers. Obviously, dealing Perkins was a risk, and getting the Clippers draft pick is of questionable value for a team trying to win a title right now. I wrote more about the move here, but suffice it to say I can understand the logic as long as the Celtics think it's the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs, not the Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers, who present the greatest threats to their title hopes this season.
wait thats john hollinger one of the biggest names at espn who seems to think the celtics are thinking miami and SAN ANTONIO and not orlando and LA.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...eGrades-110224

and jeff green a great scorer off the bench? since when?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Quote:
and jeff green a great scorer off the bench? since when?
He averages 15.2 pts/game on 44% shooting. Factor in that he was on a team with the current scoring leader Kevin Durant and the hot young scoring point guard Russell Westbrook. Obviously in Boston, he will come off the bench so yes Jeff Green is a great scorer off the bench.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
what ever man, that opinion was not "random" that was on espn just so happens to be at the same time as my suggestion. as i stated the moves might not be solely to match up with the spurs BUT the spurs where 100% a factor in the moves. they may not have been 100% THE factor but they where most definitely part of the thought process.
Yes whatever. An opinion from ESPN is merely that, an opinion. Throw it into the pile with everyone else's. We're all here giving our opinions of what these moves mean. Just because you found one from ESPN that matches yours doesn't mean yours is anymore correct that anyone else's. Even the second link you posted shows the Miami Heat's name in there as well. What, that slipped past you because all you saw was Spurs, and you just had to post that because it makes you 'right'? It is humorous though, that you're scouring the internet to find these quotes. Funny stuff....

Last edited by Roman77; 02-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Ah what the hell, since we're playing the 'find an opinion to match ours' game, here's a quote from Doc Rivers, the CELTICS COACH:

Rivers envisions Green in the same role James Posey had when the Celtics last won the title, shifting to power forward with Kevin Garnett at center to spread the floor for Rajon Rondo.

"We've been trying to get that lineup since Posey left. And I think people forget how many times we did that in the playoffs, which was every fourth quarter for the most part," Rivers said. "We haven't been able to duplicate that.

Here's the link to the article:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ins/index.html

Let me know if you find any references to the Celtics making this move because of San Antonio, a team that they're not even guaranteed to MEET in the playoffs, yet they're going to trade off one of the best post defenders to match up with them? Yeah....ok.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Since you seem to have comprehension deficit today.... The spurs where not 100% The reason, in other words the spurs where not the sole reason for the move but the spurs where 100% A factor again in other words the spurs where most definitely a big factor among other teams. Again, not the only factor, just one of the bigger factors.

Maybe you should go read my other posts on the subject, the ones where I say just that.

As for scouring the Internet, the link and quotes where right there, top stories on espn.go.com/NBA.
Yes I realize that opinions are just that BUT "expert opinion" weighs more then some random nobody on city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball