U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Since you seem to have comprehension deficit today.... The spurs where not 100% The reason, in other words the spurs where not the sole reason for the move but the spurs where 100% A factor again in other words the spurs where most definitely a big factor among other teams. Again, not the only factor, just one of the bigger factors.

Maybe you should go read my other posts on the subject, the ones where I say just that.

As for scouring the Internet, the link and quotes where right there, top stories on espn.go.com/NBA.
Yes I realize that opinions are just that BUT "expert opinion" weighs more then some random nobody on city-data.
Oh ok, it's my comprehension ability, not your inability to articulate what you mean in a cohesive manner. Moving on....

And who makes them the expert? What makes their opinion better than anyone else's here? Because they're paid to write it? I've seen plenty of articles from ESPN that are far from expert, or intelligent.

Oh, and check out the comment from Doc Rivers above, on the reason for the trade. It's because he envisions Jeff Green in a James Posey role, and obviously he feels Garnett, Shaq, and Jermaine Oneal( and I suppose Glen Davis) are enough big bodies. No mention of the Spurs..... ah oh. For one, the Celtics are eminently capable of matching up with the Spurs without needing to trade Perkins. For two, if they're trying to get smaller, why trade away Nate? For three, why would you trade away a tough post defender, one of the best in the league, to match a team that's not even in your conference and you MAY not even meet? Make sense? Of course not. Just my 'random city-data nobody' 2 cents....

Last edited by Roman77; 02-25-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
An expert opinion because this is what they do day in and day out. I own a concrete construction company, just because you may have seen a couple house slabs poured or a driveway doesn't mean you know as much as I do on concrete. Same general thing. In other words when someone does something day in and day out as their full time job they tend to learn the inner workings of the thing thus making them experts. As for that, hollinger is one of the most respected names in the business.

As to the rivers quote, sure he didn't mention any team, that's not what coaches do. He isn't going to come out and say they didn't think they could match up or beat another team the way they where built. That would just be dumb on his part.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
An expert opinion because this is what they do day in and day out. I own a concrete construction company, just because you may have seen a couple house slabs poured or a driveway doesn't mean you know as much as I do on concrete. Same general thing. In other words when someone does something day in and day out as their full time job they tend to learn the inner workings of the thing thus making them experts. As for that, hollinger is one of the most respected names in the business.

As to the rivers quote, sure he didn't mention any team, that's not what coaches do. He isn't going to come out and say they didn't think they could match up or beat another team the way they where built. That would just be dumb on his part.
What do they do, day in, day out? Talk basketball? So do we. Only they get paid for it. Doesn't mean their ability to analyze is any better than those of us who watch the games day in, day out and have some basic analytical abilities and understanding of the game. The only thing a writer like Hollinger has is 'inside scoops' on things...which doesn't seem as though he does for this trade, it's just him giving his impression on the trade. Hell, there's several 'experts' on ESPN and their views aren't always in line with each other. Why, because like you and I, everyone takes a situation and analyzes it through their own colored glasses. Yours are black and silver, so of course everything anyone does has to be in response to San Antonio. The only thing Hollinger said was this move makes them match up with San Antonio better. This IS NOT SAYING that the Celtics make this move for that reason, that it was 100% THE factor, A factor, or any other percentage you wish to throw in there. Unless he spoke to Celtics management about the move, he's no more in the know on why the Celtics made the trade than your average job blow on city-data.

The only dumb thing is thinking the Celtics traded away the arguably best post defender in the league, to match up with a team that there's no guarantee they'll meet. Suppose Celtics make the finals, and the Lakers in the west. And the Celtics made the trade so they match with...... the Spurs. Ah oh.......

Anyways, I don't agree with you, or your 'experts'... moving on.

Last edited by Roman77; 02-25-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,077 times
The Lakers are favored in the West so like Greg I don't see how the Spurs have ANYTHING to do with these trades. Even then, the Celtics still have to make it out of the East against 2 tough teams out of the Heat, Bulls, and Magic. Two of those teams have some tough Centers i.e. Howard and Noah.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
the Celtics still have to make it out of the East against 2 tough teams out of the Heat, Bulls, and Magic. Two of those teams have some tough Centers i.e. Howard and Noah.
Yep, and Perkins has shown to be quite effective against Howard before. But no, they're going to trade him in response to a team in a different conference, who they're not guaranteed to meet in the playoffs, as opposed to focusing on teams in THEIR OWN conference for which Perkins' services would be needed and they're much more likely to meet, before they even get to the Spurs. Who by the way have to make it out of their own conference.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
How do you figure the lakers are favored? Because they won last year? Nahhh the lakers have slipped to #3 at this point. Not just in the standings but in the realistic assessment of teams.

Sure the celtics might not make the finals, the spurs might not, who knows who will at this point but you have to assume your team will and you have to assume the team on the other side with a ridiculous lead will as well.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,053,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I am getting sick of hearing about the Melo ordeal.

The Lakers, Heat, Bulls and Mavs all need to make some moves but will they?
I don't think any of those teams need to make deals.

The Mavs simply are not going to get anybody of equal or better ability than Caron Butler. Why give up good players if that is the case?

Chicago needs to establish chemistry with the guys that have now the Noah is back not throw more players into the mix. The same goes for the Heat.

Who are the Lakers going to boost their bench and who do they REALLY have to offer in a trade?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Baron Davis and a pick going to Cleveland for Mo williams and a little more. Boy Baron must be pissed! He left my Warriors because he wanted to be in LA, so he could pair with Cash Warren to make some short films and boost his image and exposure. I do believe that Cleveland is a little further away than Oakland from LA. Man he must be so mad, HA HA HA !!!!
I think Baron has showed in the past 2 years he's past his prime as an elite NBA player.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
rockets traded battier for thabeet and a 1st rounder, and brooks for dragic of the suns.

i think the rockets pushed, they got the better deal for shane and the worse deal for brooks.
I like Brooks on the Suns. It could also signal that Steve Nash may be ready to retire. He's simply not hte same player he as a couple of years ago and the chronic back problems he has are NOT going to get better with age.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I believe the Celtics are gonna get Sheed to come out of retirement. They can't surely depend on the O'Neals to be healthy the rest of the season and w/o Erden too....strange move.... Kristic is ok though.
e

That's funny!

Sheed was never in the best of shape last year. It's not like he got in better shape sitting around this season. He would probably wince at just the thought of getting up and down the court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball