U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM

927 posts, read 1,210,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The crazy thing is, the majority of GM's at the time would have made the same choice, Oden over Durant. Reportedly, San Antonio offered to trade Tim Duncan for that pick so they could draft Oden.

I think if he could stay healthy, he could be one of the better centers in the league.
I don't remember hearing about that possible move and I follow the Spurs pretty closely. Just the same I am glad San Antonio did not make that foolhardy trade. Think of it, Pop and RC trading the greatest 4 of all time for the shot at drafting an unknown NBA quantity. When you look at the disaster that has been Oden's short career you have to thank your lucky stars the Spurs didn't bite on that bust of a pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM

5,399 posts, read 4,332,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I think it is too early to consider him the next NBA bust. Give him a year or maybe two years before folks consider him a bust. Injuries are a part of being an athlete. Kenyon Martin, Antonio McDyess, Jermaine O'Neal, and even Tracy McGrady have come back from career threatening injuries and played productive basketball.
Maybe? All of them played pretty decent before their injuries. You have to be somewhere, before you come back.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,104,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I thought he was going to be a bust when they drafted him.

Think about this, the Portland Trail Blazers missed on Michael Jordan, opting to draft Sam Bowie instead. Now, the Blazers have missed on Kevin Durant, drafting Oden instead.
I thought he was going to be a bust too. He wasn't really that dominant of a player in college. He was a good defensive player and a good re-bounder, but his offense was suspect and at the college level with that height he should have been very dominant.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,104,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah, I would be comfortable saying that he is a bust. If you plotted his perceived potential on a graph it would look like a drunk guy falling down a flight of stairs. And like others said, it adds more salt to the wound that he does not seem to care...

This is hilarious, lol.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 19,489 times
ya, he is injured too much

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,207,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The crazy thing is, the majority of GM's at the time would have made the same choice, Oden over Durant. Reportedly, San Antonio offered to trade Tim Duncan for that pick so they could draft Oden.

I think if he could stay healthy, he could be one of the better centers in the league.
who ever told you this is an idiot, san antonio NEVER said anything, thought anything or had the slightest inkling of trading tim duncan for ANYONE let alone a draft pick!

i love how BS like this gets spread around, i bet that came from bleacher report or something.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,720,413 times
It'll be hard for him to come back, he's 47 years old and guys his age just don't bounce back from injuries as easily as the younger players.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM

369 posts, read 689,315 times
No not a bust yet. He has yet to play a full healthy season and after watching him play in college not ready to close the book on him. If Portland was dumb enough to cut him...all the GMs and Coaches would be salivating. At worst, Oden is an excellent defending big man with no touch around the rim. I guess we could compare him to Kenyon Martin, is he a bust? No, they both are good defensive players mired with injuries (although Martin did have some good seasons).

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,720,413 times
This is true, even a 32 mpg, 12/10/2 starting center is something most teams would give a lot to have.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It'll be hard for him to come back, he's 47 years old and guys his age just don't bounce back from injuries as easily as the younger players.
Try 23. He was born in Jan of 1988.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.
He's been "injured" since he's been drafted. Although it's been 2 seasons.

He's heading down the path of Grant Hill. Grant is a great player but that does not mean Oden will be.

What do you guys think?
Grant Hill had many great years in Detroit (6) prior to his injury. It took him his time in Orlando to get over that knee injury. Today, he is very solid role player for Phoenix.

As for Greg Oden, he finally has taken major steps in repairing his left knee. He claims personally that he feels this time everything is fixed. My feelings say if he truly recovers he will be the stud they think he was going to be. I think it will take 1 year for him to get over the foul trouble that has plague the few games he has been in. But just look at the facts... the few games he actually has played he was averaging close to a double double with some blocks only playing 20 minutes. That to me, would make it close to an elite center when playing full starter minutes (i.e. 35 minutes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball