U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,163,737 times

Advertisements

All of them. The have salaries equal to the GNP of a third world nation. I refuse to watch pro sports. While our nation is going into the Greater Depression and unemployment is nearly 20% these overpaid...oh, never mind. You guys go ahead and enjoy your game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,885,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Agreed Greg. 20 seconds left and down by 2 I'd much rather have the hands in Wade's hands than Lebron.
Although I would say, Wade is a bit more turnover prone. But last shot, I would tend to go with Wade more often than not. Which works out well for that duo, because Lebron is very willing to pass in the clutch( the reasons for which have been argued many times over the years).

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
All of them. The have salaries equal to the GNP of a third world nation. I refuse to watch pro sports. While our nation is going into the Greater Depression and unemployment is nearly 20% these overpaid...oh, never mind. You guys go ahead and enjoy your game.
Interesting point. By that logic, I hope you don't watch movies with actors and actresses who command over 20 million a film.

I'm sure we can come up with other examples as well......

Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,445,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, but as Patrick Ewing infamously once said, "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too." Many of these guys are pretty clueless to handling that much $$ and end up filing bankruptcy like Antoine Walker did a year or so back. For the most part, they pretty much spend everything back into our economy that they make and pay lots of taxes in the process.

I agree to some extent to what you are saying though. I enjoy watching basketball, going to the games, following my favorite teams, but there is no way I can 'justify' spending thousands upon thousands of dollars for season tickets, drop $15 at the concession stand for a hot dog, nachos & drink, etc. when there is so much that needs to be done to help others around the world, and most importantly in our back yards. Heck, I won't even pay the $180 to get the League Pass package! I may go to a game or two a season, buy tickets in the $30 section which is typically center court upper deck; take my own snacks, maybe buy a drink, but that's about the extent of my direct financial support for the NBA.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,163,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Many of these guys are pretty clueless to handling that much $$ and end up filing bankruptcy like Antoine Walker did a year or so back.
Now you're going to make me cry...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM

There's a lot of money that gets thrown around where you can say to yourself 'wow, just think of all the good that could do!' Not just pro sports...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,564,526 times
I don't think a player is overrated because he didn't win an NBA title. There are hundreds of thousands of athletes are couldn't make it to the NBA for one reason or another. Props to EVERY person who did. There are plenty who were disappointing or didn't meet up to expectations once they arrived, but this doesn't subtract from the game itself.

I enjoy the game and appreciate the efforts of all of its participants. This is the best way to view the NBA and its participants.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,517,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Interesting point. By that logic, I hope you don't watch movies with actors and actresses who command over 20 million a film.

I'm sure we can come up with other examples as well......
Exactly what I was going to say...everyone is quick to point this out with pro athletes like there arent other professions that are out of whack as well...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
It's hard to argue that nash wasn't deserving of his MVPs either

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,328,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's hard to argue that nash wasn't deserving of his MVPs either
He deserved his first MVP, not sure about his second.

I'm surprised ESPN rarely mentions him as "2 time MVP winner Steve Nash"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball