U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

30,986 posts, read 19,221,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's hard to argue that nash wasn't deserving of his MVPs either
It's easier to grasp for me when the people discussing it understand how the award is handed out. Regular season accomplishment, best player on the team with one of the top records.

When someone starts trying to use it as sole proof of a players greatness then it get's a little dicey.

As such, the MVP isn't always *fair* over a players 12+ year career....but I doubt guys like Shaq, Duncan, Kobe etc. cry themselves to sleep over having only 1-2 MVP's with all those championship rings on their fingers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,455,953 times
Karl Malone, Baron Davis, Lebron??? Malone-no way. Probably the best PF ever. Baron- no chance. The perfect role player, like a Marc Price but a better 3 point shooter. Lebron was the second coming of Jordan in alot of people eyes and that is a tough thing to live up to but he has performed very well. He singlehandedly led the Cavs to the playoffs. The problem now is that he needs a team with more role players and less scorers. A Baron Davis type PG would be perfect for Lebron and a PF like Love would or previously Rodman would be a major help for his game too.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM

434 posts, read 549,208 times
This list is completely bogus. How can role players be over rated? Robert Horry hit a lot of big shots but was still a role player. I guess shawn Kemp was a better poward forward than a 6"6 charles Barkley and the Mail man. For every player on this list I can name a player during the same time period who achieved less.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM

434 posts, read 549,208 times
Baron Davis could not out shoot Mark Price on a bad day. Other than that I agree.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM

2,108 posts, read 927,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
This list is completely bogus. How can role players be over rated? Robert Horry hit a lot of big shots but was still a role player. I guess shawn Kemp was a better poward forward than a 6"6 charles Barkley and the Mail man. For every player on this list I can name a player during the same time period who achieved less.
You know, that is a very good question...how can a role player be overrated? I dont think anyone was calling Robert Horry a superstar, just "big shot". And...he did do that pretty well...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM

30,986 posts, read 19,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
You know, that is a very good question...how can a role player be overrated? I dont think anyone was calling Robert Horry a superstar, just "big shot". And...he did do that pretty well...
I agree. Horry isn't overrated because basically most reasonable observers and experts within the NBA rate him fairly.

P.S. He made a lot of big shots, he missed a heckuva lot of them too.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 560,145 times
So if a player is not a superstar or has not won a championship they are overrated? What kind of logic is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball