U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM

22,345 posts, read 32,231,632 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKNd94h1zY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

22,345 posts, read 32,231,632 times
One more the famous fight between Dr J and Bird, check out the young Barkley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbbOAbMZEE

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM

711 posts, read 979,880 times
I grew up in middle Tennessee. We, of course didn't have an NBA team in my state at the time. So I went with the flow and watch the basketball games on television. I became a fan of the Grizzlies when the NBA decided to relocate the team from Vancouver to Memphis.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,128,093 times
I became an Indiana Pacer fan because I am a masochist.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 PM

71 posts, read 164,171 times
I've been a hornets fan ever since I switched cable service providers and was able to see them on tv.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,527,340 times
Celtics fan as I was born and spent the first 27 years of my life in the metro-Boston area.

As far as other teams, I live in CO now but don't really follow the nuggets. Thanks to DirecTv I can watch the C's. I do like other players and I'll watch there games: Durant, Love, Griffin.

Of course, I'll root against the Heat.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 31,494 times
My family was always a NFL family and I never watched NBA until I started playing in middle/High School.

By then I started collecting basketball cards and my favorite card was an Upper Deck rookie card of David Robinson. It was 1990 and before long I was captivated by him, I even did some school reports on Robinson's path to the NBA, how he went to Annapolis, was drafted in '87, and was let out of his commitment as he could no longer fit in the submarines he was stationed on, I was hooked. He was such a good guy.

I have stuck with them through thick and thin. Obviously, the Spurs have had more thick than thin, but I am not a bandwagon fan and will not abondon them.

One of my most thrilling experiences was when I was 18 and joined the Air Force in 1994 and was stationed in San Antonio. I used my off days to go visit the Riverwalk, climb the Tower of Americas, and walk over to the Alamodome. I think they were in their first year using it over the HemisFair Arena. I saw both structures from the Tower and practically ran over to it just drawn, and I walked in to see the court where my boyhood heroes played...it was magical for me. They hadn't even won their first ring yet.

I live in Salt Lake now and always go to to at least one Spurs game a year. the others I catch on streaming, but one day instead of being the only one in Utah, I will stand with 18,000 fans screaming GSG at the AT&T Center. That will be bright and beautiful day

This years team is exciting. I have been a fan now for 22 years and have never seen so much depth from this team. Obviously I will look foolish if they don't do well like last year, but it doesn't matter because I know I will be there again in October watching, waving my hands, and always shouting GSG! at the top of my lungs.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM

758 posts, read 1,037,660 times
I become a fan of the Orlando Magic when I watched Shaquille and Anfernee play together and been a fan ever since!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM

52,102 posts, read 41,919,559 times
College roomates were NBA fans so I started watching. Then I graduated and moved to Chicago for my first job in 1992. Da Bulls. Drove my celtic fan cousins nuts.

I also like the Spurs because I always admired David Robinson and then Tim Duncan for the kind of guys they are but the Bulls are the team I really follow.

Back in the day I watched an awful lot of their games and knew all their players including (from memory) even the Jud Beuchlers, Dickie Simpkins, Perdue, Wennington and so forth. Loved reading Lacy Banks commentary in the Chicago Sun Times. RIP....great writer whom recently passed.

P.S. My late wife had a co-worker that had 2nd row center court balcony tix in the old Chicago Stadium he would sell for $22 face value. <drool>. Went a number of times and that balcony was NOT nosebleed....got to see Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kemp, Payton and more in their primes. Those were $200 tix from the brokers at the time so it was a real treat to be able to go.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM

24 posts, read 31,494 times
Do you remember Stacy King? I don't know why, but I always remember this guy on a basketball card I had. Also a memorable card I had was Sam Vincent of the Orlando Magic, memorable because on it in the background was Michael Jordan wearing the number 12 (1 night only) as his jersey was stolen earier that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball