U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 AM

188 posts, read 618,520 times

Advertisements

NBA Fans here I just want to know how did you become a fan of your team?

And how long have you been a fan of your team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM

964 posts, read 2,351,541 times
It's natural to root for your home town team. For me it was growing up in the 1970s with the legendary Chick Hearn calling Laker games featuring Jerry West and Wilt.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
grew up in SA, been a spurs fan since the iceman, then on to the admiral and now the current spurs!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
grew up in SA, been a spurs fan since the iceman, then on to the admiral and now the current spurs!
Watching on TV back in the 80s, I remember when the spurs played in a different area and I recall some sort of loud fiddle playing during timeouts to excite the crowd.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
I was 8 when the bulls won their first title in 91 and living 15 miles north of the city. Pretty easy decision for an 8 year old...I wish I was a tiny bit older as I did take a lot of it for granted, but I won't complain.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM

51,931 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I was 8 when the bulls won their first title in 91 and living 15 miles north of the city. Pretty easy decision for an 8 year old...I wish I was a tiny bit older as I did take a lot of it for granted, but I won't complain.
I wasn't an NBA fan AT ALL until I got to college and my roomates kinda sucked me into it watching the Bulls on WGN as MJ was coming onto the scene.

I then lived in the city for years and went to a number of games due to a co-worker with season tix. Got to see young shaq, peyton, Kemp and many others in their prime.

By then I was immersed and to this day tend to follow the standings and the box scores etc. but don't get to see so many games.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

I was 10 in 1972 when the Lakers won their first championship in Los Angeles. That was the year of the 33 game win streak. It was also the year of the most controversial sporting event ever, which I vividly remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5W0yrk39k

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM

2,368 posts, read 6,829,180 times
I didn't really get into sports as a whole until 2003 when I was like 11, but being from Cleveland I rooted for the hometown team, the Cavs. I've been a fan since even without Lebron, though I don't get to see many games anymore. I also like the Nuggets and Warriors. The Nuggets because I live in Colorado, and the Warriors because Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis are two of my favorite players.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Watching on TV back in the 80s, I remember when the spurs played in a different area and I recall some sort of loud fiddle playing during timeouts to excite the crowd.
yeah spurs have played in several different arenas over the years, and where the dallas chaparrals for a long time as well.

dont remember the fiddle but then i dont remember a lot of things from my youth. i blame all those sick experiments the us army performed on me LMAO! (ok so it wasnt the army and there where not any experiments, i am obligated to say these things by my "sworn to secrecy" contract!)

i can also say (because of the experiments HA) that i have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about when you mention the spurs in their pink and turquoise unis.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Was born into it, but as a little kid watching Dr J, Cheeks, Toney, Moses, and Bobby Jones and the championship against the Lakers solidified it for me. I miss the good old days...

Honestly though I have probably always been a bigger College fan for hoops and in 85 when Villanova beat Gorgetown, that really did it for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball