U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
 
199 posts, read 426,327 times
Reputation: 136

Advertisements

I have noticed that in situations where LeBrons team is down 1 or 2 with under 24 seconds, LeBron always tries to drive and kick or go for a quick score instead of milking the clock and going for the win. Tonight they were down 1 with like 12 seconds instead of milking it and taking a jumpshot to try and win he quickly drove and got blocked by Amare. In the Boston game instead of taking the three himself he passed it to Mike Miller. He almost never takes a jumpshot hes always driving and thats why he doesn't really have much buzzer beaters to his name. Does LeBron need a wake up call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
 
724 posts, read 1,472,032 times
Reputation: 716
Driving the hoop is a much higher percentage play than settling for a jumper. For example, the decline of Patrick Ewing occured when he just decided to settle for lots of outside shots. By driving the basket, it puts pressure on the defense where they may give up a foul or it can create an opening for a wide open three or it will result in a higher percentage up-close shot. Additionally, a missed close-up shot is more likely to result in an offensive rebound because the defense has been forced to adjust to the guy driving the basket. The reason people settle for outside jumpers is because driving the basket is more physically punishing. LeBron seems to be able to take the punishment though, hence he drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Reputation: 1982
as was stated, driving for a potential layup or dunk is a much higher % shot AND you have a better chance of getting fouled and sent to the line..... see dirk vs manu in 2006, thats how the mavs got to the nba finals pretty much. good drive by dirk, bad foul by manu.

as for the kick out to miller, mike miller is a much better 3 point shooter then lebron. its like saying here tony parker take the 3 instead of passing it to a wide open matt bonner. its just bad basketball.

for all the hate, lebron is a pretty good decision maker, well on the floor anyway. not so much with his off court life maybe but on the floor he does the right thing more often then not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
There is nothing wrong with him driving to the basket in that situation... His strength is driving not shooting. The problem is the defense is ready to help in that situation. In order to be a good closer a lot Kobe & Jordan, you must be a good shooter. And Lebron just isn't, period. Wade is a better option in my opinion at the end of the game because he has a better shot. In the final seconds of a game the pull up is probably going to be the easiest shot to get...

My beef with Lebron is not his driving but pump fake and dribble then shot instead of shooting off the pass... its easier to shoot off the pass than taking that dribble. He did that in chicago and against new york. Most shooters will tell you that catch and shoot is easier than off the dribble. But i digress... I really dont think Lebron is very skillful anway. He's just bigger, stronger, and more athletic than everyone... that's his game. He's like a bull. When you play the best teams though you need to have some skill to win. He needs to work on that... and until he does I dont think he will win a Championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,325,759 times
Reputation: 1762
Well, he tried twice last night and it didn't go well. Besides, when he drives he usually gets contact (real or imaginary) and can get some extra free throws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,549,496 times
Reputation: 18436
Lebron is not a polished player yet. Her prefers to bull his way in like Carmelo and take the foul (and make the basket). He plays like a grunt at times, but this is his game at this stage of his career.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I don't know how Lebron thinks or what his coaches want him to do in that situation and I'm certainly not a polished NBA analyst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,888 posts, read 6,445,325 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Lebron is not a polished player yet. Her prefers to bull his way in like Carmelo and take the foul (and make the basket). He plays like a grunt at times, but this is his game at this stage of his career.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I don't know how Lebron thinks or what his coaches want him to do in that situation and I'm certainly not a polished NBA analyst.

Yet? Why does EVERYONE act like this guy hasn't been in the league for EIGHT F'N YEARS!? If he doesn't have it by now, hes not going to have it. He obviously does not have that drive MJ had. Once MJ started to lose his legs, he became a good jump shooter. James already shots a ton of 3's for no good reason. This guy could drive to the basket way more often than he does. He is a PF sized player playing SF and really plays PG on many positions yet he's too scared to get physical.

As long as James is your go to gut in crunch moments, get ready for failure. The Heat need to resort to Wade since he is a winner and has that clutch trait whereas James runs away from it like a drunk driver fleeing from the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yet? Why does EVERYONE act like this guy hasn't been in the league for EIGHT F'N YEARS!? If he doesn't have it by now, hes not going to have it. He obviously does not have that drive MJ had. Once MJ started to lose his legs, he became a good jump shooter. James already shots a ton of 3's for no good reason. This guy could drive to the basket way more often than he does. He is a PF sized player playing SF and really plays PG on many positions yet he's too scared to get physical.

As long as James is your go to gut in crunch moments, get ready for failure. The Heat need to resort to Wade since he is a winner and has that clutch trait whereas James runs away from it like a drunk driver fleeing from the police.
kobe didnt have the "killer instinct" he is claimed to have now when he was 8 years in. you have to remember these KIDS where brought in at 18-19 yrs old. kobe had shaq to "show him the ropes" so to speak, lebron has been the man since day one so he never had any sort of mentor. now this is not to say shaq was much of a mentor BUT phil jackson surely is/was one. lebron to this day has not had a mentor of a coach. how much better would he be with a coach like phil or pop, playing with a player like say tim duncan, or a ray allen. someone who can show him how to play the right way.

while the kid has ridiculous upside, much of his career has been squandered due to mediocre coaching, talent around him, and that mentor factor.

also remember, kobe wasnt nearly as good as he is when he was 26-27 yrs old so lebron still has MUCH time left. potentially 10 more years on his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
kobe didnt have the "killer instinct" he is claimed to have now when he was 8 years in. you have to remember these KIDS where brought in at 18-19 yrs old. kobe had shaq to "show him the ropes" so to speak, lebron has been the man since day one so he never had any sort of mentor. now this is not to say shaq was much of a mentor BUT phil jackson surely is/was one. lebron to this day has not had a mentor of a coach. how much better would he be with a coach like phil or pop, playing with a player like say tim duncan, or a ray allen. someone who can show him how to play the right way.

while the kid has ridiculous upside, much of his career has been squandered due to mediocre coaching, talent around him, and that mentor factor.

also remember, kobe wasnt nearly as good as he is when he was 26-27 yrs old so lebron still has MUCH time left. potentially 10 more years on his career.
Lebron is already a powerhouse. No mentor needed. He practically mentored/s others see guys like J.J. Hickson. He carried a whole team by HIMSELF in Cleveland; (see Cavs drop from #1 team to league worst team in one year). Lebron is unlike most players to ever play the game in that he has his head screwed on right when he entered the league. He knows what he wants, he has influence to pull others, and he is a great overall player (no one is as big as he is with the ball handling skills his possess; NO ONE). It's why he has been MVP for the past 2 years and most likely will even receive it this year, and he is playing with another Top 5 player and Top 20 player (i.e. his numbers should be down).

Anyone who doesn't think Lebron is the best NBA player is a pure hater. Plain and Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,201,268 times
Reputation: 1982
wow i am sensing a lot of love for lebron from someone. i would say the love is a bit TO MUCH though.

sure lebron has done a lot of things and is capable of more BUT he is in no way what he could be or could have been. his shot is SO-SO at best, his passing is slightly above average. his decision making is pretty good, but he relies on his size and strength way to much. he is a bull in a china shop when he goes to the basket. THAT leads to short careers. lebron never once made his teammates better, he lead the way, sure but some of thsoe guys are playing better without him (ie jj hickson). he didnt teach them how to play, he showed them how to get him the ball and get out of the way. he is a self promoting narcissist BUT he has the talent to back it up.

as for the cavs going from top to bottom, he isnt the ONLY reason it happened. sure he was a major factor but he wasnt the sole factor. injuries to key players like mo williams, and andy v, the loss of west, big z, shaq, all factors in the terrible season. there is not a doubt in my mind or that of most others that if JUST LEBRON left the cavs would miss the playoffs BUT they would also not be the dead last team either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top