U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,209,453 times

Advertisements

if the nba broke up say every 5 years and all the players where put into a pool to be picked one at a time sorta like a fantasy draft, with the sole purpose of winning titles before the next pick who would go 1st?

keep in mind this is not fantasy stats, and there would be no cap just all 30 teams pick one at a time.

i am still on the fence here myself but lets say top 5 picks

1) d howard
2) d wade
3) kobe
4) durant
5) greg oden ok just kidding
5) lebron
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM

802 posts, read 2,611,828 times
If it was held today, no way, no how, Durant doesn't go first. He's already a proven commodity and with his youth, has more chances to give you multiple titles than all the rest.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,371,163 times
In this scenario, you only get a guy for 5 years, so Durants youth is trumped by LBJ and Dwight Howards youth as well. Its not like LBJ is going to be a slow old man in 5 years, he will be 30. So I would have LBJ/Dwight as my 1 and 2.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,373 times
These are the top 5 I see going (in this order)
1. Dwight Howard
2. Lebron James
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Chris Paul
5. Derrick Rose or Dwayne Wade

Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM

369 posts, read 689,407 times
Everyone's top five will pretty much look the same, i say we do top ten to see the differences. Here are my top ten:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Kevin Durant
3. LBJ
4. Deron Williams
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Derrick Rose
7. Carmello Anthony
8. Chris Paul
9. Pau Gasol
10. Monta Ellis

Kobe and Dirks age will keep them out of the top ten. I seriously think we have maybe two years left of good kobe, then we will see him slide quickly. Although Dirk is still performing late in his career i question if he can continue this efficiently much longer. Same reasoning for no Steve Nash.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM

802 posts, read 2,611,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
In this scenario, you only get a guy for 5 years, so Durants youth is trumped by LBJ and Dwight Howards youth as well. Its not like LBJ is going to be a slow old man in 5 years, he will be 30. So I would have LBJ/Dwight as my 1 and 2.
No problem with your choices or reasons for it, but I see more upside to Durant than the other two at this point. He's already been the youngest scoring champ and looking to repeat, so we know it's not a fluke. Kind of like MJ when he was amassing his scoring titles, but falling short, until he expanded his game to include more defense and assists.

LBJ and Superman have both been to the finals, but one was swept, granted by a buzz saw team already familiar with HOW to be champs, and the other in a 4-1 shellacking that seemed Kryptonite induced.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM

52,080 posts, read 41,892,714 times
Dwight Howard #1 with a bullet and here is why....

If you are making a steak dinner and don't have beans you can have corn instead.
If you don't have rolls, you can have garlic bread.
If you don't have mushrooms, you can use onions.

Dwight Howard is the steak.

Lebron, Wade, Rose, Durant and so forth are all beans, corn, rolls and so forth. If you have the "steak" and can't get Rose you can get CP or Wade and so on.

I'm not saying this makes Howard the best player in the league. I'm saying that he is the player in the league where the difference between him and the next best thing is larger than in other cases.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dwight Howard #1 with a bullet and here is why....

If you are making a steak dinner and don't have beans you can have corn instead.
If you don't have rolls, you can have garlic bread.
If you don't have mushrooms, you can use onions.

Dwight Howard is the steak.

Lebron, Wade, Rose, Durant and so forth are all beans, corn, rolls and so forth. If you have the "steak" and can't get Rose you can get CP or Wade and so on.

I'm not saying this makes Howard the best player in the league. I'm saying that he is the player in the league where the difference between him and the next best thing is larger than in other cases.
great now im hungry again! THANKS!

it is a pain in the backside to do but i may sit down over the weekend and see just exactly how players would fall based on the top PER. put together a roster to league minimum 13 for each team.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,201,234 times
It's funny that i'm not seeing any role players in anyones top 5-10. Kevin Love is a double/double every night and unless you missed the slam dunk contest, the Clippers have a star that is just going to get better. I like Wade but he should not be top 5. Throw any good guard with Lebron and it would probably work better. Have you noticed that Miami still is having a hard time playing together? Wade and Lebron just don't mesh. You can take 2 or 3 solid guys and put them together but if they can't give it up some times than it wont work.

1-Durant
2-Howard
3-Lebron
4-Kobe
5-Griffin
6-Paul
7-Rose
8-Amare
9-Love
10-Parker(SA)

***Honorable mention to my boy Monta, but we have proven in Golden State that maybe Monta isn't the best team player. Don't be surprised if we eventually trade him away and build around Curry.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,564,526 times
Durant
Griffin
Kobe
Wade
Rose
...the rest are interchangeable. LeBron looks a lot older than he is, and appears to be aging at a fast rate. I predict that with his physical game and feet which point in opposite directions when he walks, he will be facing knee problems within a few years. Similar to Gilbert Arenas who has the same problem. Carmelo is simply a scorer and plays the same physical game as LeBron. Carmelo does not make his teammates better and is not a graceful, natural athlete like Kobe and Jordan. Seems heavy-footed. In fact, he doesn't appear as conditioned as LeBron and seems to get winded. Conditioning is his problem and I predict that he won't be healthy for the long haul. Bosh overrated. Howard big, wide, and powerful, but a very limited offensive game. Excellent blocker, but foul-prone. Great power, but finesse, and creativity are lacking in Howard. He knows it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball