U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,762,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Oh, and Grant Hill would have been one of the greatest players ever if not for the injuries.
Yup, best was in his prime when everyone knew he was going to slash to the hoop, and still couldn't do a damn thing about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

37,809 posts, read 16,367,633 times
I find it ironic that today's star players at Mich. are mostly white. What does rose think of that?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,427,791 times
This is a much to do about nothing...

Grant Hill was is one of the best college basketball players EVER!!! Is he an uncle tom? Who knows... and frankly I don't care. Being an Uncle Tom has nothing to do with playing sports. period.

Does Duke represent "The Establishment" to most black kids... yes. Does that mean that every player for them is a sellout... No.

Jalen was making general statements and didn't call anyone specifically an uncle tom. Grant didnt even need to respond.

In the famous words of Andre 3000 'Is every N---- with dreads for the cause? Is every N---- with golds for the fall? No... so don't get caught up in appearrance!!!"

Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM

52,441 posts, read 42,170,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
...rose think...
Not only did you use them in the same sentence....but next to each other! That's bonus points.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,718,611 times
Fab 5 just doesnt get it...So whats the next 30 for 30 Phi Beta slamma I hope so.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,872,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Fab 5 just doesnt get it...So whats the next 30 for 30 Phi Beta slamma I hope so.
You mean Phi Slama Jama? Yeah, they didn't win any national championships either.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,403,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Kind of. Jalen Rose either did not caviat his statement with "I don't feel this way now," or ESPN did a crappy job of editing it. When I initially watched the show, I got the impression he still had a problem with Grant Hill, just not as much as he did when he was 18. I could see how a person could see it either way, but from Grant Hills POV, he basically got called an uncle tom on national TV by one of his piers. He had every right to be pissed and he responded in a classy way - at least thats my take.
Exactly! Which is why Jalen reached out to Grant BEFORE the segment even aired because he KNEW what he said and how it was going to come across because he was not fund of Grant or any of the Black men who got accepted to Duke and that is fact and he chose to be honest about the way he felt. True at this point in Jalen's life he doesn't have any beef with Grant however he did and does uphold how he felt/feels about the type of Black guys that go to Duke. If it was water under the bridge, Jalen wouldn't have felt a need to apologize but he knew his thoughts would be offensive however that doesn't change that fact that those are his feelings but its not morally right to openly feel that way about someone and that's what he was apologizing for.

Grant made a statement to defend his place in society and others who are in and will be in his position in the future. Therefor his statement was not over reacting because he knows there are other Black men who are experiencing this very thing and its not fair and someone needs to speak up and bring positivity to it instead of negativity because there defiantly isn't anything wrong with being Black and coming from a nice family that's financially sufficient. Although Blacks who don't have that luxury make it appoint to make those Blacks that do feel ashame for something that should be respected. I have a Black cousin who was teased in school for so-called talking "White" because she used proper English. People need to stop imposing their insecurities on to others period.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM

909 posts, read 884,649 times
When they failed to mention that Shane Battier of Duke went to the same prep school as Chris Webber, I turned the channel. Did they not think somebody was going to miss that obvious slanted editing???

Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 AM

14,329 posts, read 19,629,661 times
I don't care for the fact that the media loves conflict between two talented black men. Both Jalen and Grant are fine people from different backgrounds.

I watched a very interesting program today on the "Fab Five." That was a phenomenal occurrence back in the day. The top five prospects in the country going to one college at the same time. Incredible! I respect them for being themselves. They came from environment that was all-black, all raw, and full of depth and character. Those five black players showed the world that black people can excel without inhibition. Here they were doing it on the basketball court. Interesting to see the many letters written by white Michigan alum who were shocked at the presence and behavior of these magnificent black athletes. Black expression and depth are not appreciated in this country and those alum were sending letters slamming the team and the coach for having these black players who wouldn't act in the way they preferred...like Grant Hill. I always liked Jalen and can certainly identify with his perspective at that time of his life. IMO he doesn't owe anyone an apology and should be honored. The program also gave me a different perspective on Webber also.

Grant Hill should be honored as well. He is an incredible basketball player, who was hampered by injuries during his NBA career. Yet he still does well playing for the Suns. He came from a more privileged background and he should be applauded for taking advantage. Nevertheless, he is still a black man, and as a black man, he should've diverted criticism of Jalen away from the appearance of conflict between the two as black men. It was a mistake for him to criticize Jalen. He should've put an intelligent spin on Jalen's mindset to clarify the perspective of that black man. That would've been the classier response by Hill.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,403,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't care for the fact that the media loves conflict between two talented black men. Both Jalen and Grant are fine people from different backgrounds.

I watched a very interesting program today on the "Fab Five." That was a phenomenal occurrence back in the day. The top five prospects in the country going to one college at the same time. Incredible! I respect them for being themselves. They came from environment that was all-black, all raw, and full of depth and character. Those five black players showed the world that black people can excel without inhibition. Here they were doing it on the basketball court. Interesting to see the many letters written by white Michigan alum who were shocked at the presence and behavior of these magnificent black athletes. Black expression and depth are not appreciated in this country and those alum were sending letters slamming the team and the coach for having these black players who wouldn't act in the way they preferred...like Grant Hill. I always liked Jalen and can certainly identify with his perspective at that time of his life. IMO he doesn't owe anyone an apology and should be honored. The program also gave me a different perspective on Webber also.

Grant Hill should be honored as well. He is an incredible basketball player, who was hampered by injuries during his NBA career. Yet he still does well playing for the Suns. He came from a more privileged background and he should be applauded for taking advantage. Nevertheless, he is still a black man, and as a black man, he should've diverted criticism of Jalen away from the appearance of conflict between the two as black men. It was a mistake for him to criticize Jalen. He should've put an intelligent spin on Jalen's mindset to clarify the perspective of that black man. That would've been the classier response by Hill.
Are you serious? First of all Grant didn't "criticize" Jalen he spoke out against the negativity Jalen placed on him and other men who are like him. Just because you had to struggle growing up doesn't mean you deserve a cookie sorry. Its great Jalen was able to make the best out of his situation but that in no way mean Grant is suppose to sympathize with something that does not apply to him just like Jalen felt the need to NOT want to understand men like Grant. Instead Jalen put a negative title (uncle tom) on him when he knew nothing about him as a man but only felt the need to criticize him because he came from a better upbringing. Which should not be condemned but praised especially for a BLACK man.

Being Black and from the ghetto doesn't make you anymore Black than anyone else and its very ignorant to have that mindset. Why should Grant have to put a "intelligent" spin on Jalen's views? Jalen is a grown man who can and did speak for himself. He doesn't need anyone to spin HIS thoughts. He said what he said and how he wanted to say it period. Jalen's perspective was very clear, if you're not from the ghetto, fatherless home, and struggling to make ends meet, you're not a real Black man. He has every right to his opinion however his statements were ignorant and continue to hold BLACK men back in society. Which is why Grant made a statement to implement the exact opposite and let BLACK men know, it is nothing wrong with being privileged and not being from the "hood". The media was not trying to play Jalen and Grant against each other, Jalen pulled that card when he spoke his feelings toward the Black men who attended Duke. Black men are their own worse enemy then turn around and want to blame it on the White man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball