U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,351 posts, read 11,882,165 times

Advertisements

I hear alot of complaints about David Stern especially the way he runs the league and officiating. My question is, if he was not liked, wouldn't the owners have ousted him already? He is working for the owners right? So if he is still running the show, that tells me the owners have no problem with him at all. Or is this more complicated then we know?

Last edited by JL; 03-18-2011 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Is this more complicated then we know?
Yes.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,308,445 times
B/C he's made them a crap load of money The NBA has seen tremendous growth here and worldwide. They won't get rid of him.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 PM

51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Stern has made good moves and bad.

His good moves FAR outweigh any bad ones.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,429,052 times
Stern has strengths & weaknesses ... however, with anything context is important

When he arrived on the scene the NBA was a nothing league with tape delayed playoff games and little national interest.

He found ways to draw national interest into the league, built the leagues city base, continues to get them good TV revenue and has opened it up as a worldwide league .... now you can not only get NBA games live in the US at pretty much any moment, but all across the world

With that said - he's made the owners in the league a ton of cash and the NBA is by far the most consumed basketball product you can find now (college basketball is a shadow of itself for a variety of reasons)

He's also shaped the play & image of the league multiple times to keep people interested in the product

I think where he lacks is in vision for the franchises/league ..... i think this is the main area where his understudy Bettman struggles as well ..... they both love expansion, but it's expansion without stewardship .... they do a poor job of vetting owners, making sure there are adequete facilities in place and assisting cities with their efforts to improve their buildings ..... this is something that other leagues do a great job at (MLB and to some extent the NFL)

Also, his personal demeanor just grates on fans & players and he's been the strong leading figurehead for so long now I think he's losing sanity in some cases ... it seems like he feels he's above reproach and he gets a little too heavy handed at times and is frequently too snarky when giving public comments

However, even with this public image - he still has the league pulling in crazy amounts of revenue which continues to make the owners rich and subsequently happy

Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM

51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Stern has strengths & weaknesses ... however, with anything context is important

When he arrived on the scene the NBA was a nothing league with tape delayed playoff games and little national interest.

He found ways to draw national interest into the league, built the leagues city base, continues to get them good TV revenue and has opened it up as a worldwide league .... now you can not only get NBA games live in the US at pretty much any moment, but all across the world

With that said - he's made the owners in the league a ton of cash and the NBA is by far the most consumed basketball product you can find now (college basketball is a shadow of itself for a variety of reasons)

He's also shaped the play & image of the league multiple times to keep people interested in the product

I think where he lacks is in vision for the franchises/league ..... i think this is the main area where his understudy Bettman struggles as well ..... they both love expansion, but it's expansion without stewardship .... they do a poor job of vetting owners, making sure there are adequete facilities in place and assisting cities with their efforts to improve their buildings ..... this is something that other leagues do a great job at (MLB and to some extent the NFL)

Also, his personal demeanor just grates on fans & players and he's been the strong leading figurehead for so long now I think he's losing sanity in some cases ... it seems like he feels he's above reproach and he gets a little too heavy handed at times and is frequently too snarky when giving public comments

However, even with this public image - he still has the league pulling in crazy amounts of revenue which continues to make the owners rich and subsequently happy
Well said.

He got a lot of blowback when he (rightfully) cracked down on the thug image that was starting to hurt the NBA.

His latest crackdown was on all the whining and crying to the refs about every single call. (another thing fans were hating)

Not only did the owners get rich but the players have fat contracts, there are virtually ZERO rookie holdouts and they only get the big money after 4 years. Veterans get some nice roster exemptions AND they boosted the meagre pensions of the guys that built the league back when salaries were a lot lower.

What else has he done? He put the kabosh on teams recruiting unready 18 year olds for the "future" and making the NBA product look rough and crappy for a while.

Stern is an unattractive rich old white guy, he is just not going to be a sympathetic figure to a lot of people. However, there is no question that he routinely (likely using surveys) picks out what the public doesn't like about the NBA and fixes it.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,925 times
I have to agree with both of the previous posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or