U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They had problem with the Bulls 2 years ago so you know what's going to happen this year
^^ The Bulls are coming out to the East this year. Lakers or Spurs are the likely opponents. My money right now is Lakers over Bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^ The Bulls are coming out to the East this year. Lakers or Spurs are the likely opponents. My money right now is Lakers over Bulls.
Don't count out the Mavs

Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post

Im not saying this trade wont eventually pan out the way Danny Ainge envisioned it (what was his vision, anyway?)
Ainge envisions Jeff Green in that James Posey role, something he says the team has lacked since 2008. Personally, I think it's a bad move as Perkins is one of the best post defenders in the league, and they're now going to rely on the oft-injured( and well past their prime) O'neals to man the paint. Good luck with that one as the playoffs progress, unless Shaq somehow has one more relevant postseason performance in him.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Don't count out the Mavs
Good point.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Quote:
Don't count out the Mavs
Count out the mavs.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Count out the mavs.
Good Point.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM

10,963 posts, read 8,054,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Rondo has never really been a scorer. Boston's issue is essentially the empty space at Center, left by Perkins. Shaq's too old, Krstic is no good, and Jermaine is well Jermaine. The Big Four can only take them so far and playing small against bigger teams will hurt them in the long run.
Give that man a cigar!

The trades that Boston made at the All-Star breaks really didn't address any of their needs. Shaq is literally breaking down. He needs to recognize that his body can no longer take the stress of being an NBA player and retire. Krstic is just too damn soft to go against tough rebounders in the NBA. As for Jermaine, see what I said about Shaq. Injuries have just taken their toll on him. He is no longer a quality NBA player. Sad but true.

The Celtics are now an aging Big Three with a mediocre bench and nobody beside KG and Big Baby ( who is undersized) to really hit the boards hard.

The last ten game stretch has really exposed them. If you asked me in January who had the best team in the Eastern Conference I would have told you the Celtics. Now I'd have to say it's the Bulls. Derrick Rose has just taken his game to a whole new level and they are getting contributions from a bunch of other people.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Derrick Rose has just taken his game to a whole new level and they are getting contributions from a bunch of other people.
The Bulls have really kicked it up a notch or two, haven't they? I was debating with Mathguy about how far they can go, I can readily admit I underestimated this team. They're playing out of their minds right now, essentially peaking at the right time, which is the best thing going into the playoffs. Boston may have peaked too soon, and since the trade they've barely resembled the team from the first half of the season. I really do think the Perkins trade hurts them on the inside against the Bulls and even Miami now, who aren't exactly known for tough perimeter play. And I haven't even gotten to the Lakers, with Bynum playing very well, they're going to be a tough out for anyone. Ditto for Spurs if Duncan returns to at least the form from their last title in 2007. Should be a great playoffs!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,286,550 times
Boston is trying to integrate a lot of new faces at a really bad time. The have Kristic, Murphy, Green, and the two O'Neals who have missed most of the season. Major midseason trades are always risky for this very reason. Miami struggled trying to get everyone on the same page. The difference is they have had the entire regular season to smooth it out. Now the C's are trying to do something similar while jockeying for playoff position and trying to fight off injuries. I do think they will reach a stabilizing point. The question is what kind of team will they be?

I think losing Perkins has done a lot to change Boston's identity. I think it was a fatal mistake on Ainge's part. I understand the financial angle. I even get the injury concerns. But the familiarity and cohesion that group had was key to their success in 2008. Boston will go into the playoffs with a much better record than they did last season. Yet, this incarnation seems a lot less threatening than last year's. I can't help but think Boston threw Miami a bone when the shipped out Perk. We'll see.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

I think losing Perkins has done a lot to change Boston's identity. I think it was a fatal mistake on Ainge's part. I understand the financial angle. I even get the injury concerns. But the familiarity and cohesion that group had was key to their success in 2008. Boston will go into the playoffs with a much better record than they did last season. Yet, this incarnation seems a lot less threatening than last year's. I can't help but think Boston threw Miami a bone when the shipped out Perk. We'll see.
Last year's Celtics team limped into the playoffs as well if I recall, which made their march to the finals all the more intriguing. But I agree, whatever the reason, Perkins being dealt at this time was a bad move. Celtics should have at least kept his services until the end of the season, then work out the kinks in the off-season. This current Celtics team has a narrowing window with 35 year old Allen, 34 year old Garnett, and 33 year old Pierce( not to forget 39 year old Shaq).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball