U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM
 
51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32408

Advertisements

The Lakers were creaking along for a while and seem to being doing much better now but that is mostly attributable to being able to get quality minutes from Bynum.

However, the Celtics have gone 5-5 in their last 10 games with a lot of losses to even sub-par teams.

Rondo is shooting with the accuracy of Helen Keller but still playing great D etc.

I want to wonder if perhaps they have some nagging injuries or something? Maybe Rondo has some sort of hand problem that only affects his shooting?

Looking for any insights from those that follow them more closely.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Reputation: 17516
Rondo and Mike McGee (Lakers from maybe 20 years ago) are the answer to this interesting question:

Spoiler
Who are the only two guards that have a lower FT% the FG%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
 
909 posts, read 879,480 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Lakers were creaking along for a while and seem to being doing much better now but that is mostly attributable to being able to get quality minutes from Bynum.

However, the Celtics have gone 5-5 in their last 10 games with a lot of losses to even sub-par teams.

Rondo is shooting with the accuracy of Helen Keller but still playing great D etc.

I want to wonder if perhaps they have some nagging injuries or something? Maybe Rondo has some sort of hand problem that only affects his shooting?

Looking for any insights from those that follow them more closely.

Thanks.
Giving some credit to Memphis for last nights win in Boston could be in order.
Look at the job they did with their best player (Rudy Gay) out for the rest of the season...they will be a contender next season when he gets back...if there is no lockout and games actually get played.

These older teams such as the Lakers and Celtics will have their ups and downs as some of the veterans get further past their prime. It happens in all sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 AM
 
51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Rondo and Mike McGee (Lakers from maybe 20 years ago) are the answer to this interesting question:

Spoiler
Who are the only two guards that have a lower FT% the FG%?

Rajon Rondo NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

1) That's not true....but his FT% is indeed low.

2) Over the last 10 games he is 5/10 total from the FT line. Even if he shot 100% that wouldn't change anything.

3) He is 31/98 from the field the last 10 games or basically about 33% which is god-awful. Averaging 6.1pts per game.

Previous set of 10 games had him make 13/24 FT's, 48/98 FG's so the only real change is that he missed 17 baskets more which would have easily resulted in a couple more wins.

So, why is Rondo shooting so badly from the field? I am still thinking injury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
 
51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Giving some credit to Memphis for last nights win in Boston could be in order.
Look at the job they did with their best player (Rudy Gay) out for the rest of the season...they will be a contender next season when he gets back...if there is no lockout and games actually get played.

These older teams such as the Lakers and Celtics will have their ups and downs as some of the veterans get further past their prime. It happens in all sports.
Rondo, aged 25 and a few months, shot 2-12 from the field in a 3 pt. loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Rondo is shooting with the accuracy of Helen Keller but still playing great D etc.


Quote:
I want to wonder if perhaps they have some nagging injuries or something? Maybe Rondo has some sort of hand problem that only affects his shooting?
Rondo has never really been a scorer. Boston's issue is essentially the empty space at Center, left by Perkins. Shaq's too old, Krstic is no good, and Jermaine is well Jermaine. The Big Four can only take them so far and playing small against bigger teams will hurt them in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
 
51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post




Rondo has never really been a scorer. Boston's issue is essentially the empty space at Center, left by Perkins. Shaq's too old, Krstic is no good, and Jermaine is well Jermaine. The Big Four can only take them so far and playing small against bigger teams will hurt them in the long run.
I know he's not a scorer but he's off about 4pts. a game on average and that is the difference (pt. differential) between a 1st and 6th seed.

Perhaps the loss of Perkins has thrown things off on the offensive end and Rondo is getting challenged more on his shots?

At this point I think the Bulls are the favored team in the east despite having less deep playoff experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,309,587 times
Reputation: 1588
The trade was a mistake. They no longer have a young bruiser. Jff Green is a good scorer but not a Boston bruiser. The team is old, Rondo can't shoot.

I was feeling Boston until the trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
 
909 posts, read 879,480 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post




Rondo has never really been a scorer. Boston's issue is essentially the empty space at Center, left by Perkins. Shaq's too old, Krstic is no good, and Jermaine is well Jermaine. The Big Four can only take them so far and playing small against bigger teams will hurt them in the long run.
I saw Rondo shoot lots of bricks up close in college (UK @ Vandy)...didn't see what all the hype was about. He is 110% better now, but won't shoot it like Kevin Martin or whoever. Not most nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Celtics are gonna need the healthy O'Neals to make the Finals. Without them, they ain't gonna make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top