U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,813 times

Advertisements

Alright, now let me ask the same question about the other young coach who's become the breakout star of this year's tourney: Shaka Smart. In his second year at VCU he's lead a team that people didn't even think should be in the tournament to the final four. I've heard rumors that Missouri is interested, do you see it happening this off-season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,156,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Alright, now let me ask the same question about the other young coach who's become the breakout star of this year's tourney: Shaka Smart. In his second year at VCU he's lead a team that people didn't even think should be in the tournament to the final four. I've heard rumors that Missouri is interested, do you see it happening this off-season?
Unlike Stevens, I think Shaka Smart will make a job change in the 2011 offseason.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM

45 posts, read 47,465 times
Stevens plus Smart = younger than Jim Calhoun!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

18,638 posts, read 27,073,493 times
If Indiana comes calling, I'd be surprised if he turns that down. But I don't know Indiana's coaching situation.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
He is not going anywhere. He's a local guy with a good thing going and he's not about the money.......

It's always about the money...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,885,461 times
I don't think anyone on this board wouldn't consider a job change if someone offered to double your salary.

But being the right person at the right place is often a factor in success. Some personalities aren't 'right' for some situations.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Stevens seems pretty happy and he just signed a good deal .... I see him riding it out for at least the next few years

Smart is gone - this is his opportunity in the pan ..... Butler is a better job than VCU and VCU is losing a lot from that team and playing in a very tough CAA they'll be fortunate to finish in the top 5-6 teams in the league next year ...... he'll get offered a good contract at a good situation and would be foolish to not take it

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM

45 posts, read 47,465 times
Again, Stevens turned down boat loads more to coach at Oregon. Perhaps Indiana would be suitable should they come calling if Crean doesn't pan out. Stevens I think is leery as well as to what often happens: we talk so much about great college coaches who can't succeed in the NBA because of a myriad of factors, especially the roles of players vs coaches. But also Mid-major vs major changes the equation quite a bit as to who is recruited and who runs the show (often the boosters, where as this isn't the case at Butler).
Stevens began as a volunteer assistant under Todd Lickleiter. Lickleiter's tenure at Iowa was a failure. After years at Butler and putting togther the start of this last successful decade, Barry Collier (now the Butler AD) jumped to Nebraska and that went no where. Of course Thad Matta coached one season after Collier left and he has been a success at Ohio State. But it seems more often than not, a mid-major coach has a successful NCAA tourney run, a BCS school nabs him in the off-season, and he produces mediocre results. I'm not trying to be a homer, but Butler is not a flash-in-the-pan program either. They can be as competitive as they are now for the long haul with a rich tradition (in other ways besides what we usually define as tradition when we mention Duke, Kansas, etc...), a beautiful campus, a very large arena for a school its size, and a fertile recruiting base- even when Indiana reinvigorates itself and starts to again pluck some of these marquee players from the state.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 9,500 times
i think Stevens should stick with Butler. it just feels like a perfect fit for him and his family and he could really be a coaching force. also stick with the glasses

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,845,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's always about the money...
I am not just talking out of my rear.... I live in Indianapolis and know him through the grapevine (not personally but through a couple of friends...). He's a local guy, likes it here, doesn't want to move and unlike most he's not about the money. If he was, he would have NEVER left his great job with us to pursue a coaching career that didn't even pay anything when he started! He's truely a class act....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball