U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think it will. 'Perception' is reality very often when comparing players at this level. I don't consider Gasol and Bynum 'dominant' either; I used the term 'semi-dominant' in my last post as well, and I think you can put Gasol in that category. Bynum as well in flashes when he's healthy.

My main point is that if you look at the notable championship teams of the recent past, just about all of them featured a scoring big: The Lakers with Kareem, then with Shaq, onto Gasol( not as dominant,but still in this day and age one of the top bigmen), The Rockets with Hakeem, the Celtics with Parish, Mchale, Garnett, The Spurs with Duncan and Robinson( in 1999). The Bulls dynasty is the only dynasty in the past 30 years to not feature any big-man as a viable post scoring option. And at the heart of that, is Michael Jordan. And let's not forget, Jordan did this in an era with the greatest collection of dominant bigmen, under rules that didn't favor the perimeter offensive player like it does now.

Kobe, while he would be great in any era, benefits from rule changes designed to allow the offensive perimeter player practically unimpeded access to the basket. That's why there's been an explosion of great scoring guards in the last decade. That's why Steve Nash went from a very good player to a 2-time MVP and now certain hall of famer.

The reality is, Kobe is seen as an imitator of Jordan's game. The public at large will never accept that he's better, even if he's nearly as talented and skilled. Which, for the record, I believe he is. But I also believe that Jordan was better at shot selection, picking his spots, minimizing his weaknesses. The difference between Jordan and Kobe is less an issue of skill, and more an issue of IQ and utilization of skills.

If Kobe gets number 6 will he rise above Magic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
By this math Russell is by far better then Jordan, it's not even close. He'll Russell is better then mj and Duncan combined.
I don't discuss Bill Russell since he played in a WEAK era of the NBA. That was obvious by his number of titles

Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't discuss Bill Russell since he played in a WEAK era of the NBA. That was obvious by his number of titles
Weak era?

That's a little insulting, don't ya think?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If Kobe gets number 6 will he rise above Magic?
Depends on how we're comparing them. Kobe's the more dynamic scorer and defender. It's a harder comparison, because their styles of play are so different. I will say this; I think a prime Magic on this Lakers team would make this team better than Kobe makes them. Because Magic is the greatest ever at making his teammates shine. Give him Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Artest, with Magic's clutch ability, passing skills and leadership? This Lakers team would be better, in my opinion of course. Does that mean I rank Magic above him as a player? Hmmmm.... will have to think about that one.

See, I don't consider Kobe to be quite the player Jordan was. If I was to give a percentage, Kobe may be 85-90% of what Jordan was; the last 10-15%% being IQ, shot selection, defensive ability, the ability to read his teammates and the flow of the game and determine whether he's needed to assume a larger scoring burden, or let the game come to him . Prime Jordan figured that out; Kobe in 15 years still struggles to find that balance. Again, the difference isn't so much skill differential, it's the application of skills, the IQ needed to read the game and see what's needed each night. I think that's a part of why the Lakers role players are inconsistent from time to time; which Kobe is showing up tonight? The facilitator or the one who jacks up 30 shots? Hard for the team to get a flow, when your star player fluctuates from game to game, or even in the same game, of how he's playing any given night.

So him winning one more ring to me, is of no consequence in how I view the two.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Weak era?

That's a little insulting, don't ya think?
Yes when He played there was only one person in the league that could challenge him... Wilt. everyone else was under 6 feettall-lol

Plus most of his games are not even on video

Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,000,870 times
Russell would have dominated even in today's game, what are yall talking about?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
And why is that?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:25 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Russell would have been prime Ben Wallace-like. Great rebounder/shotblocker, limited offensive ability. He shot 43% back in the 60's, I can't imagine he'd be any better in today's era in that aspect. Of course this is an impossible debate; Russel in today's game would benefit from today's advances in training, medicine, conditioning( not to forget his game would be influenced by watching yesteryear's players) so it's possible he'd be an entirely different player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or