U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,155,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
II'd say the same for the even older Lambeau Field, but there's no need since the town owns the team and not billionares.
What's wrong with Lambeau, aside from the bleachers, which won't go away because that would take away seats and lengthen the season ticketholder wait list time (my guess)? It was extensively renovated a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,333 times
Well nice to see that they are staying there another year at least.

Still well, no matter what the reason, I'm not too big on ungodly sums of public money being spent on sports stadiums anymore. If Sacramento wants it bad enough, then whatever.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Well nice to see that they are staying there another year at least.

Still well, no matter what the reason, I'm not too big on ungodly sums of public money being spent on sports stadiums anymore. If Sacramento wants it bad enough, then whatever.
Oh, I don't doubt they want it bad enough. In what other sport has Sacramento got a major league franchise?

Incidentally, that "at least" could easily be what keeps fans out of the seats. If you know your team is planning to leave town (a.k.a. not showing any loyalty to the community), then why should fans show loyalty to the team?
I can't, for instance, understand why any New Jersey basketball fan would show any loyalty to the Nets, who are only waiting for the arena in downtown Brooklyn to be completed before they leave.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,333 times
Well it's part of the crazy world of American sports. I'm not sure how they pay for Soccer teams' stadia in Europe but many of their teams are mutated social clubs not private enterprise so you never have a team up and leave. I guess that's why I always am leery at getting TOO attached to a franchise (and I love the Skins mind you); you run the risk of being burned one of two ways.

You get gouged at the price box or you eventually see em leave for a "better market" (i.e. who ever will through public money at it)

There was an interesting article at SBNation that linked this fiasco to NBA's flawed revenue sharing

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/2...aloofs-anaheim

Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
What's wrong with Lambeau, aside from the bleachers, which won't go away because that would take away seats and lengthen the season ticketholder wait list time (my guess)? It was extensively renovated a few years ago.
Yeah I know it was renovated. But I was speaking of it in the view of what it was BEFORE the renovation.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,444,332 times
Why bother? That team is going to suck just as bad next year. Simply put, people aren't going to the games. No one wants to pay to watch a bad team lose.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 AM

927 posts, read 1,209,784 times
The Kings are as good as gone. This decision to keep the team in Sacramento for yet another season is only a temporary stopgap measure. What I want to know is where is it carved in stone that they will moving to Anaheim, CA? Why can't they consider other deserving communities like Kansas City or Seattle?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
JJG

Hope for a longer stay...?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,416 times
I live in Seattle, and the bottom line is we don't have a proper arena for an NBA team. And, quite honestly, most people don't want the NBA here. It is a dying league...22 out of the 30 teams lost money this year alone. League says 22 teams to lose money, $300 million total this season | ProBasketballTalk Why would taxpayers want to finance a new arena for a team that didnt really do so hot attendance wise before, in a league that is on shaky ground anyway?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I live in Seattle, and the bottom line is we don't have a proper arena for an NBA team. And, quite honestly, most people don't want the NBA here. It is a dying league...22 out of the 30 teams lost money this year alone. League says 22 teams to lose money, $300 million total this season | ProBasketballTalk Why would taxpayers want to finance a new arena for a team that didnt really do so hot attendance wise before, in a league that is on shaky ground anyway?
Dying league? And you're really sure MOST in Seattle don't want the team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or