U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Do you always draw such conclusions for a single, outlier type game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I would be shocked if the Pacers even keep it close in game 2. Bulls will blow them out. Chicago in 5 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I, too, am a little confused by people saying the Pacers will take them to 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get swept after this loss. Indy played the best game they could EVER hope to play, and the Bulls played a very disappointing game, and the Bulls still won. Not to mention, that loss is deflating. How pumped will Indy be at home when they're down 0-2 knowing they pooched one? A young, inexperienced team probably doesn't recover.

I could be wrong, of course. Maybe Indy thinks they can play with these guys, but truthfully, when you look at the box score, your first conclusion HAS to be that the close loss was an aberration.

Indy completely pooched it and I don't think they recover. Maybe they win 1.
Because I am feeling spite-full, I guess, I just want to remind everyone who thinks the Pacers can not complete with the Bulls that in 2 games, they did. I am not going to say the Pacers are going to push this series to 6, but I do think it is time for everyone to knock off the talk of the Bulls blowing the Pacers away. It isn't happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Because I am feeling spite-full, I guess, I just want to remind everyone who thinks the Pacers can not complete with the Bulls that in 2 games, they did. I am not going to say the Pacers are going to push this series to 6, but I do think it is time for everyone to knock off the talk of the Bulls blowing the Pacers away. It isn't happening.
So your basically saying that the Pacers will get swept but keep it close in the games? Not really sure how that spites anyone. I am a big believer in the box score telling the story - game 1, Pacers shot the ball really well, game 2 - Bulls shot poorly and turned the ball over a ton.

They won both games. I would say losing by 20 to a team playing well is just about the same as losing by 5 to a team playing poorly - both show you are not in the same class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
 
51,958 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Because I am feeling spite-full, I guess, I just want to remind everyone who thinks the Pacers can not complete with the Bulls that in 2 games, they did. I am not going to say the Pacers are going to push this series to 6, but I do think it is time for everyone to knock off the talk of the Bulls blowing the Pacers away. It isn't happening.
Agreed. You have to like that Indiana is playing their hearts out. The Bulls have yet to show up with their A-game and even TJ Ford got in the 3/4 court 3-pointer at the buzzer to tie (or it's a 9point loss)

There was a lot of hyperbole directed at the Pacers and then there was some knee-jerk response back. In fairness, the Pacers just aren't going to win this series and some of the smack talking has been just stupid.

P.S. Keep in mind that a lot of the anti-pacer smack is generated out of the west where they are bitter that you can be solidly >500 and still not get in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
So your basically saying that the Pacers will get swept but keep it close in the games?
I did not say that, you are attempting to put words in my mouth.

Check the posts I am responding too, and what I am saying. All this talk of the Bulls smacking the living **** out of the Pacers needs to stop. The Pacers have shown once again the ability to complete with the Bulls. They are not scared, and no one in Indianapolis is afraid of the Bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
 
51,958 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32416
You are both right.

So far we've seen the Pacers show up with their A+ vs. the Bulls B game and it was close.

Then the Pacers brought their B game and the Bulls brought their C- game and it was only "close" because of the bonus 3pts from TJ.

So, let's give the Pacers some credit for coming to play.

That being said, if the Bulls show up with their A game and the pacers aren't playing well, it could potentially be an ugly result.

I think we can all agree that these are at least entertaining games (unlike the Heat vs. 76ers). The Pacers (whom I like) have some really nice young players and it's good to see them seem to be on the right path of improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
 
207 posts, read 308,509 times
Reputation: 53
So far the Bulls have been doing all the right things. Accomplishing the best record and number one seed in the Eastern Conference and now being 2-0. It will be interesting to see how good they really are in the second round. Not saying this series is over, but the Bulls took a giant step in that direction being up 2-0. At any rate, looking forward to the Celtics/Knicks game 2 later today and should give us a clue how this series will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I did not say that, you are attempting to put words in my mouth.

Check the posts I am responding too, and what I am saying. All this talk of the Bulls smacking the living **** out of the Pacers needs to stop. The Pacers have shown once again the ability to complete with the Bulls. They are not scared, and no one in Indianapolis is afraid of the Bulls.
well you quoted me in the middle of a back and forth with TVSG, so...yeah. As far as putting words in, you said you didnt think it would go 6, so I guess 5 then is what you were implying. My bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Honestly I think Indiana's best chance to 'really' make this a series would have been in game 1. Odds are against a team this young with zero playoff experience recovering from that game one loss. That was a heartbreaker..... having said that whether the game is won by 2 or 20, if it results in a sweep than Indiana is simply not at 'that' level yet. The reason, I think, many of those higher/lower seed games have been so close, is that the lower seeds have nothing to lose by...well..losing. No-one's expecting them to win, so the pressure is off to perform. It's much harder to perform when you're expected to win.

Actually I think Indiana's strong showing in Game 1 may have been a catalyst for the Grizz and Hornets to walk into the Spurs' and Lakers' arena and win. Maybe it's the 'we have nothing to lose...just play' mentality taking hold. Either way, it makes for great basketball because I'm loving seeing the lower seeds put up a fight. Aside from Miami-Sixers...what a boring series..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
 
51,958 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Honestly I think Indiana's best chance to 'really' make this a series would have been in game 1. Odds are against a team this young with zero playoff experience recovering from that game one loss. That was a heartbreaker..... having said that whether the game is won by 2 or 20, if it results in a sweep than Indiana is simply not at 'that' level yet. The reason, I think, many of those higher/lower seed games have been so close, is that the lower seeds have nothing to lose by...well..losing. No-one's expecting them to win, so the pressure is off to perform. It's much harder to perform when you're expected to win.

Actually I think Indiana's strong showing in Game 1 may have been a catalyst for the Grizz and Hornets to walk into the Spurs' and Lakers' arena and win. Maybe it's the 'we have nothing to lose...just play' mentality taking hold. Either way, it makes for great basketball because I'm loving seeing the lower seeds put up a fight. Aside from Miami-Sixers...what a boring series..
The Bulls are a tough team to beat not because they are dominant but because they are resilient and fundamentally solid. Rebounding and defense are there night in and night out so when you commit turnovers and shoot poorly you can still claw and scratch your way to an ugly win.

To be honest, I favor them to win the east but not to win in the finals...they are just lacking in experience but they've shown remarkable growth during the year and may emerge from the east sort of "baptized by fire".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Bulls are a tough team to beat not because they are dominant but because they are resilient and fundamentally solid. Rebounding and defense are there night in and night out so when you commit turnovers and shoot poorly you can still claw and scratch your way to an ugly win.

To be honest, I favor them to win the east but not to win in the finals...they are just lacking in experience but they've shown remarkable growth during the year and may emerge from the east sort of "baptized by fire".
Yes but you can also say the Heat have perhaps built up resiliency with the kind of season they've had. They are no slouches defensively themselves, in fact I'd say they're a very good defensive team. Rebounding edge goes to the Bulls, but as I said before, with Big Z out there popping jumpers that's going to bring Noah out sometimes which leaves one less rebounder for them under the basket. I'm not even making the argument that the Heat would win, but I think saying they have 'no answers' is an overstatement. A team that features both Lebron and Wade isn't going to be an easy out, despite what their regular season record vs team 'X' says...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top