U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 AM

52,205 posts, read 41,991,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is all in how you spin it.

Since 1999, only 5 teams have won an NBA championship. 3 of those teams are from the east. Therefore, the East is superior.
We all know the west has been better over the last 10 years or so but that's not a shock given where a lot of young talent (Duncan and Kobe anyone?) landed and stayed.

Remember though back in the late 90's the knock was that the west was "too soft" to seriously compete against the best of the east and that they didn't play D.

That's just what happens between drafting and player longevity.
A lot of luck occurs too. What if Reggie Miller breaks his leg instead of Robinson and the Pacers get Duncan? Or if Shaq goes Knicks instead of LA?
Doesn't take much to tip the scales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,891,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

i am not a fan of the current ranking structure and i would love to see a top 16 seeding. it would be a pain for tv schedules
Not to forget a pain in travel scheduling. But ideally, I'd love to see an open playoff format, no split east and west conference playoff format.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,223,031 times
the matchups would surely look different as the records stood this year

chi vs phx
sa vs phi
miami vs nyc
la vs hou
dal vs mem
bos vs no
okc vs por
orl vs den

room for some upsets in there, some compelling match ups and not a TON of bad flights/times.

the interesting thing the 2nd round match ups would be the same, okc vs SA, la vs dals boston vs miami orlando vs chi.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

chi vs phx
sa vs phi
miami vs nyc
la vs hou
dal vs mem
bos vs no
okc vs por
orl vs den
Those matchups look alot more interesting( to me) than what we have.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,145,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We all know the west has been better over the last 10 years or so but that's not a shock given where a lot of young talent (Duncan and Kobe anyone?) landed and stayed.

Remember though back in the late 90's the knock was that the west was "too soft" to seriously compete against the best of the east and that they didn't play D.

That's just what happens between drafting and player longevity.
A lot of luck occurs too. What if Reggie Miller breaks his leg instead of Robinson and the Pacers get Duncan? Or if Shaq goes Knicks instead of LA?
Doesn't take much to tip the scales.
I won't dispute the strength of the West over the East since 1999.

However, 11 of the last 12 Western Conference titles were won by either the Lakers or Spurs. That does not speak very well of the rest of the conference if this is the criteria we are going on.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,378,911 times
Quote:

chi vs phx
sa vs phi
miami vs nyc
la vs hou
dal vs mem
bos vs no
okc vs por
orl vs den

room for some upsets in there, some compelling match ups and not a TON of bad flights/times.

the interesting thing the 2nd round match ups would be the same, okc vs SA, la vs dals boston vs miami orlando vs chi.
I put my picks in bold, I think you still have the same 8 teams moving onto the second round, but who knows.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I put my picks in bold, I think you still have the same 8 teams moving onto the second round, but who knows.
Perhaps, but seeing as there's a number of east-west matchups, I think it makes things a bit more intriguing. Hell, I'd love to see a Chicago-Phoenix matchup, or Magic-Nuggets, for example....

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

207 posts, read 309,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is all in how you spin it.

Since 1999, only 5 teams have won an NBA championship. 3 of those teams are from the east. Therefore, the East is superior.
To say that the Eastern Conference is superior over the Western Conference during that time span is downright ridiculous. Maybe you misunderstood my post. What I said is that the Western Conference was a better conference during that time span due to producing far more titles and producing more teams with better records in the playoffs. It would be stupid to say that the Western Conference was superior over the Eastern Conference during that time. Better yes, superior no. Take a look at other sports, football, baseball etc. Its quite evident that there are eras where conferences or leagues are better than the other. American League vs National League, NFC vs AFC. It changes. But your entitled to your opinion..keep believing that the East is superior over the West. Does not change my opinion. LMAO

Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,145,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
To say that the Eastern Conference is superior over the Western Conference during that time span is downright ridiculous.

But your entitled to your opinion..keep believing that the East is superior over the West. Does not change my opinion. LMAO
You can't possibly think I was serious about that.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,223,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
the same 8 teams would advance and as luck would have it would still play the same people in the 2nd round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or